Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2023, 07:57 PM

eBay buyer wants a return

Just got this message on a new set of ST-R8020 shifters:

“Thanks for quick shipment. Is it possible to initiate a return? The levers and hoods are way too big. I’m happy to eat any listing costs and shipment.”

Will eBay make me accept a return based on the buyer being unhappy with what he bought? The listing states Seller does not accept returns.

Last edited by NHAero; 03-11-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:06 PM

Change your email addy

Levers and hoods are levers and hoods. That is the size, used part are used parts. Do what I would do...punt them to another if I did not like them...but they now belong to new owner. The seller (the OP) did nothing wrong. Ebay isn't like going to Kohls. No take backs
Old 03-11-2023, 08:09 PM

I dont think you are obligated, and I wouldnt accept a return just because they decided they didnt like em.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:27 PM

If you say no returns and there's nothing wrong with them, then no obligation.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:28 PM

If I were you, I would accept the return. Especially if the buyer isn't fighting you over any fees and shipping.

You never know when the buyer might change his story to "item not as described" and then eBay would probably make you accept the return and eat all the costs.

Plus, think of it as a small bit of Goodwill to this buyer.

Bake it into the cost of doing business. I know it's annoying, but as a seller on eBay, nine times out of 10 you will be better off giving the buyer whatever he wants instead of challenging it.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:29 PM

no
Old 03-11-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
If I were you, I would accept the return. Especially if the buyer isn't fighting you over any fees and shipping.

You never know when the buyer might change his story to "item not as described" and then eBay would probably make you accept the return and eat all the costs.

Bake it into the cost of doing business. I know it's annoying, but as a seller on eBay, nine times out of 10 you will be better off giving the buyer whatever he wants instead of challenging it.
This is the way to go. I sell a bunch on eBay and can speak from experience.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:53 PM

Have him pay any of your costs- shipping etc- and move on.

Don’t risk your seller status over someone who is clueless.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:56 PM

Eff that

If one buys a specialty retail product on ebay and they are unhappy with the fit/feel upon receipt, that is on the buyer as the the fit/feel is more of a one of 3 when it comes to what is out there. Once again, buying a specialty retail product (used) is not...and should not...be like a trip to Kohls
Old 03-11-2023, 08:56 PM

Quote:

This..
Old 03-11-2023, 09:09 PM

The item sold for $395 plus $10 shipping. The buyer paid $427.28 due to $22.28 in sales tax in his state. How much do I lose if I let him return it?
Old 03-11-2023, 09:22 PM

M, did your ebay ad say item was returnable or did it state no returns? If you allowed for returns, seems you're on the hook. You return the $395, minus whatever it costs you to ship back, and maybe deduct ebay's fee if you're not going to get that back from ebay.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:31 PM

I would agree with this.

However, sometimes when an item says "no returns", it means "no returns" especially if it arrives in the condition described. If the buyer wants to return it because they do not like it, then a seller should not accpet a return especially if they have it in writing (as you do) from the buyer that they essentially did not like it. Given this evidence, ebay should side with you should you be willing to take a stand on this issue.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2023, 09:33 PM

Quote:

My thoughts too.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:39 PM

It’s all no big deal until your stuff comes back in worse shape than it left.

Then it turns into a angry hassle.

No good deed goes unpunished.