Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2023, 12:56 PM

The Women’s Tour (not de France) Is in Danger of Cancelation

Damn.
Wonder how bad other races are struggling with cash in the current economic climate.

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a4327...f-cancelation/

Last edited by Veloo; 03-10-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:05 PM

With how much money companies throw around in soccer, F1, and other sports, it's mind boggling to me that someone can't come up with half a million to make sure this happens. The goodwill and reputational ROI for *literally* saving the premier women's world tour bike race would be so much bigger than a little patch on a ****ty premier league team's left sleeve right?
Old 03-10-2023, 01:14 PM

Well, maybe not. I don't think it has very high ratings so that means people don't really care too much which means people won't care too much if you save it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb94 View Post
With how much money companies throw around in soccer, F1, and other sports, it's mind boggling to me that someone can't come up with half a million to make sure this happens. The goodwill and reputational ROI for *literally* saving the premier women's world tour bike race would be so much bigger than a little patch on a ****ty premier league team's left sleeve right?
Old 03-10-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Well, maybe not. I don't think it has very high ratings so that means people don't really care too much which means people won't care too much if you save it.
People don't have to watch it for companies to brag about it!
Old 03-10-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I dunno, I feel like we need to push back on that a bit. I mean, the NYC Marathon has been sponsored by TCS forever and it's not even on TV. TV ratings are not the only reason sponsorship deals happen. It's not like men's cycling is exactly putting up Super Bowl ratings.

Imagine the PR coup it would be for a brand like Adidas to swoop in and say "we saved the Women's Tour because we care about female athletes." It would be incredible!
Old 03-10-2023, 02:40 PM

NYC marathon is world famous, most cyclists don't know about the women's tour. I am not sure this is a good comparison.

True, Men's cycling does not have super bowl ratings and women's is even less than that.

As far as the PR value, well, I don't know. I am sure people are looking into it. All I am saying is that low ratings is a problem for a support, you can put it on life support with some charity PR money for a bit but eventually it will need to stand on its own feet and a big part of that will be a large and dedicated fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I dunno, I feel like we need to push back on that a bit. I mean, the NYC Marathon has been sponsored by TCS forever and it's not even on TV. TV ratings are not the only reason sponsorship deals happen. It's not like men's cycling is exactly putting up Super Bowl ratings.

Imagine the PR coup it would be for a brand like Adidas to swoop in and say "we saved the Women's Tour because we care about female athletes." It would be incredible!
Old 03-10-2023, 02:42 PM

True, but bragging about something people know about is much more valuable.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2023, 02:44 PM
Meh

Quote:
Tour De France Femmes 2022 was a ratings hit.

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2022/08/...ures-released/

I think this story is about a different race, however - "The Women's Tour" in June - NOT the TDF Femmes in July, which still seems to be scheduled (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_T..._France_Femmes)

Last edited by EB; 03-10-2023 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post

I think this story is about a different race, however - "The Women's Tour" in June - NOT the TDF Femmes in July, which still seems to be scheduled (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_T..._France_Femmes)
Oh, I had the two confused! Appreciate the clarification.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:02 PM
Sunshine

It seems like people are confusing 'The Women's Tour' with the 'UCI Women's World Tour'.

This is just a single race that may shut down because of sponsorship.
It would be a shame, but it also wouldnt mean the end of the UCI Women's World Tour.

With that said, its $.5mm and while thats more than I can really even fathom, it also is a drop in the bucket for many. Hopefully someone or some company decides this is how they want to spend some of their successes.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:11 PM

I've always found it bizarre that it's referred to only as 'The Women's Tour' when it's The Women's Tour of Britain (or the UK). Might be because it doesn't encompass England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - it's only ever been held in England and in more recent years also Wales, and this year it's only in England.

If they had a strong title sponsor it might only be known as that - the Simac Ladies Tour is effectively the Women's Tour of the Netherlands but it's always been known as the Simac Tour since its inception in 1998 (Simac is a Dutch company specializing in electronics technology and IT).

The Women's Tour struggled last year to secure live TV coverage and they'd most likely have lost WWT status if they hadn't. They lashed something together eventually although it was sketchy at times, sometimes losing the signal (I think it relied on phone signals, which vary in rural areas - they couldn't afford to get an aircraft up to transmit, or something like that). But the tour turned out to be entertaining, as is invariably the case with women's pro cycling, the GC being decided only at the very end of the last stage.

As for the bigger picture concerning the Women's World Tour, it's coming on in leaps and bounds, especially since the success of last year's inaugural Tour de France Femmes (avec Zwift - mustn't forget that or it might not have happened), but those in the know seem to be forever cautioning that it doesn't get ahead of itself and try to go too fast too soon.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Who's listening when they 'brag about it'? I'd love to see any woman's sport be supported and to thrive but..it's all about ROI, as you mentioned. Most places with $ to throw around don't see much of a ROI on women's cycling...sad but true.

Tough to compare MEN'S pro cycling to things like the Super Bowl, FIFA football, F1...
Old 03-11-2023, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post

Yeah I definitely misinterpreted this as being about the TDFF. I didn't think it was about the Women's World Tour as a whole though. In any case...
Old 03-11-2023, 01:02 PM
Vendor

After 25 years, the WNBA still hasn't turned a profit. Basketball is a mainstream sport which is played by tens of thousands of girls and women on some sort of competitive level around the world, and appreciated by tens of millions of people around the world. Granted, the WNBA's operating costs are significantly higher than something like the Women's Tour, so perhaps the Women's Tour could sustain itself on a niche audience, but it goes to show the relative public apathy toward women's pro sports.

As an insatiable fan of cycling and basketball, I find women's cycling a much more compelling product.

Liv should step in and save this thing. Drop in the bucket for their parent company (Giant Bikes), and the positive PR would be a a good fit and hit the target market with a 50-point triple bullseye.

Last edited by Baron Blubba; 03-11-2023 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah I definitely misinterpreted this as being about the TDFF. I didn't think it was about the Women's World Tour as a whole though. In any case...
Seeing as how I think the TdF is often referred to simply as Le Tour, it was easy to misinterpret. And The Women's Tour is a ridiculously obscure title for the race.

It might well even help, sponsorship-wise, if they gave it a more imaginative title, although I can't think what that might be.