Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2023, 01:33 PM

"Sell the Sizzle, not the Steak"
Old 03-10-2023, 01:59 PM

I'll wait for the overseas manufacturer that CC has make them to start selling them out the back door. Until that happened before, everyone thought they were "Made in USA". No way in the world those brakes are worth that to me.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:20 PM

When it goes live they are going to be eediscbrake
Old 03-10-2023, 03:17 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
I'll wait for the overseas manufacturer that CC has make them to start selling them out the back door. Until that happened before, everyone thought they were "Made in USA". No way in the world those brakes are worth that to me.
did EE ever say they were MIUSA? or people just assumed that because they were $700?
Old 03-10-2023, 03:23 PM

I'll pile on. Have several thousand miles on ee's. They're pretty and light, but as others have said, the calipers from Shimano and Campy feel like power brakes in comparison. Ultimate stopping power? Anything will lock a wheel if you apply enough force (well, almost anything-cough-Deltas-cough).
Old 03-10-2023, 03:29 PM

I have paid MSRP for eebrakes in the past. Quite a few times, actually. I am a sucker for bling. But I really did "think" that they were MUSA -- the main reason what I bought them, supporting local manufacturing and all that. Had I known that they were not MUSA but were made in China (or Taiwan), I would not have paid MSRP.

I have really begun to dislike paying MUSA prices for non MUSA stuff. It's like the manufacturers get to have their cake and eat it too -- get to have low cost labor (relative to USA labor), AND sell it at exorbidant prices MUSA-like prices.

I am looking at you too Spesh with your $5500 Aethos frameset. Heck, one should get get a MUSA Allied or MUSA Pursuit for less.

But what do I know how to run a business -- both the limited edition EE brakes and $5500 Aethos frameset are out of stock.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
OK, but let's stop griping about how much the Growtacs cost
I got a set on sale no griping here.

Again I forget this is paceline. If it's light weight, expensive, or not campag then it's an automatic hard pass.

I have used Ultegra calipers and red aerolinks. Blindfolded EEs stop just as well. EEs weight, adjustment to different rim widths, centering, lever feel, I just prefer them. Have been using them for years without issue. Maybe I drank too much of the Kool aid. Also didn't pay retail.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
did EE ever say they were MIUSA? or people just assumed that because they were $700?
They did say they were MUSA, when they were an independent company. Some time after they were bought by Cane Creek, they stopped using the MUSA label.

For a long time, Trek loudly advertised that their OCLV frames were only made in the USA. They no longer claim that (because OCLV frames are no longer made in the USA), but many people still believe that Trek OCLV frames are MUSA.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:37 PM

I've got a set of EE brakes. They don't stop quite as well as my Campagnolo dual pivots, but they work well enough that I have no complaints (although I should note that I am not that heavy and a heavier rider may have a different opinion). I've had a few other ultralight brakes that did not stop well. EE brakes are the first I've used that are significantly lighter than Shimano and Campagnolo brakes, that also stop more than adequately.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:33 AM

Quote:
They (CC) were less than forthright about where the brakes were made on the website. Then, when they became available overseas, CC did a whole "we want the best parts available no matter where they come from and we personally inspect each one in the USA". Mind you, they did that because it was cutting into their sales and never once said they were counterfeit. They used words to the effect of "not authorized" or something of the sort.

I'm with the poster above, I'm not against something from somewhere else.
Just don't wave the flag and charge me the made in USA price when you're getting it made for pennies on the dollar. Again, I'm not against an American company making money (or any other for that matter), just be HONEST. A lie of omission is STILL a lie. I'm betting that CC would have sold fewer EE brakes if they would have said "these are made overseas but we're still selling them at xxx.xx price".
Old 03-11-2023, 05:46 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
They (CC) were less than forthright about where the brakes were made on the website. Then, when they became available overseas, CC did a whole "we want the best parts available no matter where they come from and we personally inspect each one in the USA". Mind you, they did that because it was cutting into their sales and never once said they were counterfeit. They used words to the effect of "not authorized" or something of the sort.

I'm with the poster above, I'm not against something from somewhere else.
Just don't wave the flag and charge me the made in USA price when you're getting it made for pennies on the dollar. Again, I'm not against an American company making money (or any other for that matter), just be HONEST. A lie of omission is STILL a lie. I'm betting that CC would have sold fewer EE brakes if they would have said "these are made overseas but we're still selling them at xxx.xx price".
But one thing is they not mentioning on the website where they are made, the other is saying they are. But sure I bet they never mentioned it because people would assume they were still made in the us, specially for the price. However you mentioned you bought a few, I wonder if they said where they were made on the box.

And I agree that for that price they should probably be made in the US.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
They are light and look cool.

They do NOT brake better than campy or shimano or sram brakes, they simply don't. However for half the weight they brake as well, they have good modulation also.

But lets put it this way, your custom $7000 bike frame is not any better than the $1200 one either, its one of those things, people want different things and its good to have a choice. I loved my EE brakes, they were fantastic but I got them for basically free so that was awesome. I would never pay $700 for a new set but also understand why someone would because they are great.

Also lets not forget that super record brakes are $400 so for a few hundred more you can get something half the weight. They are not hard to setup but if you don't set em up properly then they blow, setup right they are a joy and in ultimate rim brake fashion are set and forget.
Exactly right.

People don't buy $5000 suits and $185 shoes.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:25 AM

So far no one here has described their experience with tire clearance. After speaking with a well known framebuilder I was led to believe that the eebrakes may provide more clearance than Camp/Shim, particularly in the direct-mount configuration. Or, is that not really the case?
Old 03-11-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERK55 View Post
So far no one here has described their experience with tire clearance. After speaking with a well known framebuilder I was led to believe that the eebrakes may provide more clearance than Camp/Shim, particularly in the direct-mount configuration. Or, is that not really the case?
The limit of tire clearance is usually governed by the frame and fork, not the caliper. Campagnolo/Shimano short reach brakes would fit 32mm tires, maybe more, if the frame/fork allowed it.* (Medium and long reach brake calipers can potentially fit tires even wider.) That being said, direct mount brakes (like eeBrakes) have an additional limitation that center mount brakes don't have. In order for the arms of direct mount brakes to engage each other correctly, the pivot bolts have to be at a specific distance apart, which can limit tire clearance. Direct mount brake tire clearance could be increased if a wider pivot distance standard was developed.

*I think a lot of the idea that "I need disc brakes because I want to use tires wider than 25mm" is comes from listening to propaganda from the bike companies.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Isn’t this a common business tactic these days? I’m sure it’s always been around and even has a name, but I can’t recall hearing it. Basically you create exclusivity by only producing a limited quantity, and then you set the price in the absurd range when compared to similar products.
?
Veblen good