Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2023, 10:59 AM

PL Vacation Home Swap ?

Is there any sort of similar thread? I've wanted to do this idea for a number of years, and I bet there are some likeminds here that have vacation home escapes in nice cycling destinations that I would enjoy, that would also enjoy mine. I'd love to trade places and go cycle somewhere else, elsewhere in the US or the world, for a long weekend or a week. Could happen concurrently, or at different times.
----

My cabin is a small 1 bedroom A-frame in the woods in the southern Catskills of Upstate NY. I bought it 8 years ago as my cycling clubhouse for weekend escapes from NYC. Now I live an hour away full time (in Kingston NY) and still use the cabin but also have it up on AirBNB. It's a 1 bedroom A-frame that has been renovated and is 95% of the way done. It's a lovely space and everyone seems to love it. Great for a solo escape or for a couple. Small for a family. Fast internet and a workspace for remote work.

It's 2 hours from NYC and is a really excellent area for cycling. Lots of low traffic beautiful roads. Immediate area is primo road riding, with lots of gravel and off pavement sprinkled in. Lots more options in the surrounding Catskills areas (and Rapha Prestige Andes an hour away). There's also loads of excellent and storied fly fishing. There are two towns 10-15 minutes away with amenities and restaurants/bars.

https://airbnb.com/h/evergreenaframe
https://goo.gl/maps/A6PrQAjkhAvpfbVx7

Untitled by Adam Paiva, on Flickr
Old 03-10-2023, 02:50 PM

love this idea

my wife is not a cyclist and would never go for it. she barely allows friends over due to the clutter etc, in the house, let alone strangers.

shame as I love to go elsewhere to MTB, and where we are in Carlsbad has such good road riding opportunities right out the door and then some relatively epic rides not far away.

hope you get this to work
Old 03-10-2023, 03:15 PM

Thanks for putting this up, I've bookmarked your beautiful place in airbnb for a getaway this year. Maybe even for the Rapha weekend. You must be proud to have created such an inviting space.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:55 PM

Looks great, but, that open stairwell looks like a lawsuit in the making. IMHO
Old 03-10-2023, 08:16 PM

Such a great idea. I would love to do this but my wife wouldnt go for it anyway.

Airbnb is such a rip off nowadays IMO... better off staying at a hotel.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:28 PM

We need more of these

Thank you for posting this. House exchanges are a great way to travel and save a lot of money. If anyone is interested in coming to British Columbia please let me know. I might not be able to do a house exchange but I would be happy to give you some ideas of where to go in B.C.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:42 PM

I might be into this depending on the person.... Mendocino County, CA. There are electrical limitations to the house--so no microwave or A/C yet.... were working on it so peak summer is hot but manageable. Were hoping to save up enough to completely overhaul our energy system by the end of 2024.

In gravel mecca if you like climbing and close to many cycling destinations.

We live in our house full time so a house swap would have to happen concurrently in our case.

Last edited by jtakeda; 03-10-2023 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:23 PM

I am in.

We just grabbed a gloriously peaceful lake house near rolling country dirt roads and, arguably, the best mountain biking that Lower Michigan has to offer. We’re setting it up to have four bedrooms with Queen/XL twin bunks for two families to be able to comfortably use.

I’ll update this in a year. It needs love this season, first.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:03 AM

Have a log cabin guesthouse here at the foot of the Blue Ridge that I'd be willing to swap etc. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5839258...6VX5lJiK%2BrA4

Old 03-12-2023, 09:53 AM

What a great idea! One of the coolest threads I’ve seen in a while.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:12 PM

Great thread! I can offer a small but immaculate home in Malibu with access to all the best riding in the area (10 minute ride from Mulholland).

PM for the Airbnb link if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18028141-F4F7-4099-938F-FBD89197E70D.jpg (111.6 KB, 213 views)
Old 03-12-2023, 11:01 PM

I live at the literal gate to mountain biking in Bellingham, WA. There is a ton of good road riding as well. It’s not a vacation home (it’s my only home) but a house swap could work.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I might be into this depending on the person.... Mendocino County, CA. There are electrical limitations to the house--so no microwave or A/C yet.... were working on it
While a house swap is not something that would work for me; I’d love to talk with you sometime. While training for a big [running] race about 4 years ago I wound up in mendo on business and had some of the best and most memorable trail running days ever. Hilly yes. I need to get back soon. Amazing part of our very diverse country.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:52 AM

I never really understood the desire for a vacation house for what appears to be this very reason. You kind of get stuck going to the same place all the time when instead you could just rent all over the country and the world.

Not to be a party pooper here but just saying. Swapping seems like a great idea though.

It had been so long since I have been to Upstate NY. We went through there last Summer after a trip to Vermont (rented a place ) and it reminded me of how beautiful it is up there.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:32 PM

@redir I think you may be reading into this a bit. I absolutely love having this cabin and make use of it very often. It used to be a 2 hour drive away to escape NYC, and now its a quick 50 minute scenic drive away. It means I can "go on vacation" for the weekend whenever I want.

Sure I could go on a few trips per year for the cost of owning / maintaining the home but its just not the same thing. I make use of it often, and now have some income coming in from it. I also see it as now this kind of currency I have that can maybe be used to trade for other things. I've traded weekends at my cabin for art and favors. I will always want to also go on trips to other destinations on top of +/-20 weekends a year at the cabin, but I'd never be able to fly and go on 20 weekend trips a year even if I had the $ to do so.

All that said, this works because it's a relatively accessible for me vacation home. If it was somewhere I had to plan out, fly to, drive 6 hrs, etc., then I wouldn't go nearly as frequently and probably would rather just keep the $ to go on different trips each year.