Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2023, 10:26 PM
Descent fitness

Ekar Users Thread

With all the interest in and discussion around Campagnolo Ekar, I thought it might be useful to start a thread for people who actually have the group and are using it. I hope this thread turns into a resource for those curious about the group, and as a hub for questions and tips for living with the group.

So with that, I have an Ekar groupset on an Allied Alfa Allroad. I’m using this 95% as a road bike, with some rare connections on dirt.
Gearing is 40 front and 9–36 rear. I’m running 700x30 Agilest tires. From the Gearing is just about perfect, with a slight loss of top end on fast downhills-spinning fairly fast over 35 mph. I’m used to running 50 or 52 x 11 high and 34 x 25 or 39 x 27 low on most of my other rides.
Set up was quite easy, though I am finding the nuances of it as I ride.
It’s important to adjust the rake on the shifter paddle behind the right hand brake lever So the two don’t touch during shifts…that is covered in the instruction manual.
It’s also important to set up the H screw on the RD as that has a big impact on shifting crispness and noise.
Flat mount calipers are as easy as any, but still are a pain in the a$$ to align properly.

Riding it is a nice experience. Shifts are usually crisp and positive, and I really like only one shifter. It dumbs shifting down perfectly.
One thing I did notice is that, as when I went from 10V to 11V, less sweep of the the shift paddle is better: I Initially tended to shift a little past the next gear with my hand movement, but once I decreased that all is good.
Brake levers are good, and the ergos are familiar for us Campy users.
The brakes them selves are amazing. I went with 160 rotors front and rear. They stop like hell and I just don’t think about them. Great modulation, and little to no squeal.
With all that tension coming from the rear derailleur spring I would’ve expected the driveline to feel as if it had a lot of parasitic drag, but it really doesn’t. It feels nearly as efficient as some of my older groupsets. Also, I don’t feel like I’ve given any efficiency away by going with a 9 tooth lower cog. Besides, I’m going downhill why use that so who cares?

My only current challenge is drivetrain noise that sounds like I am slightly off-line between my jockey wheels and the rear cassette cogs. I’ve tried adjusting the RD back-and-forth during rides, but it still tends to make some noise. It seems like some of that noise is coming from the chainring/chain interface.
The group is a little under 400 miles old so I’m going to give it some time to break in. However if anybody has had that similar experience and cured it, please post!
That’s about it. I hope this thread turns out to be a good and useful one.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:00 PM

Great info. This is the group that I wanted to buy for my Rock Lobster. Cash flow dictated that I use what I had (Rival) and while I think it’s actually very nice, there’s just something about using Campy
Old 03-09-2023, 11:29 PM

color me curious

I'm about to make a 10-spd bike 11, but the idea of a 1x13 RIM brake road bike interests me.

I'll just be riding to ride, and simple seems a good goal. The ultimate simplicity would be SS or dingle speed, but since my post-covid HR issues persist and there are lots of hills near me, a single/dingle isn't anything to consider.

I know of course that I could buy an all-road type Ekar bike, but I just like my Kirk and will stick at 11 forever unless I explore 1x13 on it.

This is probably a very niche request for experiences, but if anybody has done the shifter internal guts shift to run 1x13 rim, (I know there was a thread back in December that it is possible), I'd love to hear about it.

thanks in advance
jim
Old 03-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

Great thread! I am Ekar-curious for my upcoming gravel build. Thank you for the helpful content.
What are impressions, thoughts, and suggestions so far on the four ring options: 38T, 40T, 42T, 44T?
Old 03-10-2023, 05:31 AM
Vendor

I have Ekar on 2 bikes and Red AXS and 12-speed Dura Ace on the other two. I’d put Ekar on all of em if I could.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:37 AM

Put Ekar on my gravel bike last fall, and on my wife’s Breadwinner B-Road, installation and set up was very simple. Not as many miles so far, but very happy with it. 38t with 9-42 cassette on both bikes for what we ride in the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2023, 06:02 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I'm about to make a 10-spd bike 11, but the idea of a 1x13 RIM brake road bike interests me.

I'll just be riding to ride, and simple seems a good goal. The ultimate simplicity would be SS or dingle speed, but since my post-covid HR issues persist and there are lots of hills near me, a single/dingle isn't anything to consider.

I know of course that I could buy an all-road type Ekar bike, but I just like my Kirk and will stick at 11 forever unless I explore 1x13 on it.

This is probably a very niche request for experiences, but if anybody has done the shifter internal guts shift to run 1x13 rim, (I know there was a thread back in December that it is possible), I'd love to hear about it.

thanks in advance
jim
I have taken a look at a Ekar shifter and taken the back guts out and it DOES appear you can transplant the 13s guts into a 11s UltraShift body altho I haven't actually done this, so....
Quote:
is drivetrain noise that sounds like I am slightly off-line between my jockey wheels and the rear cassette cogs.
I would ensure the der hanger is straight.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:19 AM

I have an Ekar equipped bike being delivered tomorrow and am looking forward to trying it out this season. I have always loved Campagnolo and excited to give this group a try soon!

It does sound like you RD hanger may be slightly out of alignment if all else is not working to mitigate the drivetrain noise.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2023, 09:22 AM
Descent fitness

Good idea to check the RD hanger. Will get to it soon and report back.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:38 AM

I really like mine. The shifter paddle is a great shape to be functional in the drops, which I am much more than on my road bike.
Mine has about 400 miles, maybe a bit more. Shifts well and is quiet. I recently tried wax instead of various lubes, and it seemed to make things even quieter. We'll see how it fares over the season.
Brakes seem solid.
I'm happy, but it did take me a visit to the bike shop after pulling off the rear wheel to figure out that the RD has a lever that engages to hold it in place for service. If you don't disengage, it won't work. Mine didn't engage so far out that it looked wrong.

Last edited by makoti; 03-10-2023 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2023, 09:44 AM
PegoNagos

As one of the few people around here that has stuck with Campy 10s solely because of the small lever shape, I just don't know if Ekar will work for me.

I have spent time on Campy 11s and 12s wanting to get used to the lever shape, but I just don't like the feel of it in my hands.

I REALLY want to use Ekar on my upcoming gravel build, but it looks like the new SRAM Force AXS levers are much smaller than Ekar levers. Sadly, that might be the way I have to go.

Someone please tell me I am wrong.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:57 AM
Descent fitness

There is a fair amount of in/out adjustment of the brake blade to accommodate various hand sizes. I wouldn’t rule it out unless you are able to put your hands on some lovers and they don’t work for you.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:00 AM
Descent fitness

With regard to Quietness and chain lube, as matoki alludes to above, my drivetrain noise may have something to do with my lube. Tolerances are pretty tight as one would expect with 13 speed, and I would imagine the less grit hanging on your chain in the better.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:16 AM

Been riding an Ekar group for about 2 years, and I agree with much of the OP's opening commentary. It is important to align shifting carefully at set up. It shifts nicely and has excellent ergonomics. The brakes are the best hydro units I know of. The cassette array is thoughtful. Would buy again.

For comparison, AXS is more crisp and more stable and so has merits. Though I love that Ekar exists as a top notch option that does not depend on a battery.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 03-10-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:42 AM

I've had the Ekar 1x13 for a few months now and around a dozen rides. I'm a long-time Campagnolo user (exclusively), including 10 speed, 11 speed, 12 speed, and now Ekar. I'm really impressed with the system. On the road, the single cog differences in the rear are great, and the bigger jumps seem about right for off-road pitches. Overall, I'm enjoying the system and have no complaints.

Also, I've come from rim brakes on all my other bikes, and although I've heard complaints in general about disc brakes being too sudden in stopping power, these modulate well such that I don't think twice about them.