Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I bet a wheel with the Bendix 2 speed kickback is more $ than you might think. Are there other, non-original versions?
I havent a clue... but now that i think of it, the modern, Felt cruiser i got last week has a 26" Sturmey Archer kickback coaster brake wheelset. Maybe ill just steal that for this bike and throw a set of regular coasters on the Felt just to sell it as a complete bike.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:35 AM

Merry Sales sells a new Eagle 2spd kickback hub! But I can't find it on their site currently.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/prod...b#.ZAoKaHbMKUk
Old 03-09-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I bet a wheel with the Bendix 2 speed kickback is more $ than you might think. Are there other, non-original versions?
Sturmey Archer makes a 2s kickback; should be $100 and change. Model is S2C. I'm not sure I'd enjoy the dual nature of backpedaling: both shift and brake. And not spinning my cranks backwards to get to a specific position (left foot forward for me).
Old 03-09-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Thanks all. Forgot to mention its got a skip tooth drivetrain.... I dont know if this is a pro or con, but if im changing the wheels(they need to be changed), i assume ill need to change the chain/crank as well.

My initial thoughts were to take off the fenders and rear rack and sell them, but maybe ill keep em on for now..
I've flipped parts from this era for a while; while I'm not positive, I don't think there's a huge market for Hawthorne bits.

It will be a fun, heavy ride. I don't think I'd treat it as anything particularly precious because, again, I don't think the market is there. As such, I think you should feel free to modify as you like.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Always love seeing the Typhoon, my first "real" bike, a 8 years old! Could hardly lift it up and down the bulkhead stairs. Replaced with a Peugeot UO-8 when I was 16.
Yeah a quick peruse of the 'bay says yellow band 2 speed hubs are about $125 and up up up ($399 seen also!) worth more than I paid for the bike. as @tellyho says, the actual riding of it is a little vague, but you get used to it.

Last edited by Davist; 03-09-2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 12:45 PM

my buddy has a 3 red band kickback hub only for about $70. there are yellow and blue band kickbacks as well... i assume the diff. is gearing

there is a vintage swap meet in connectitcut, sunday the 19th with plenty of parts and bikes for sale

MARCH 19th SUNDAY: 8 AM - 2 PM
RAIN/SNOW DATE MARCH 26
HERE IS THE PLACE:
44th Dudley BICYCLE Swap new location 3 blocks south of PREVIOUS VENUE same side of the street #929 Riverside Drive (route 12)Thompson CT
Old 03-09-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post
my buddy has a 3 red band kickback hub only for about $70. there are yellow and blue band kickbacks as well... i assume the diff. is gearing

there is a vintage swap meet in connectitcut, sunday the 19th with plenty of parts and bikes for sale

RAIN/SNOW DATE MARCH 26
HERE IS THE PLACE:
44th Dudley BICYCLE Swap new location 3 blocks south of PREVIOUS VENUE same side of the street #929 Riverside Drive (route 12)Thompson CT
yeah red (earlier) and yellow (later) are 1:1 high with a .67 low for 24/26" bikes. Blue is for 20" wheels and has a 1:1 low and a 1.5:1 high (but could be used in bigger wheels too..
Old 03-09-2023, 01:29 PM

The kickback hubs are direct 1:1, usually in high gear (the exception is blue band Bendix, where high is I believe 1.33:1 Overdrive).

The friction level with the Over- or Under-drive gear selected is VERY noticeable.

I would consider using the 650B rim diameter if you can find suitable 650B, 36-hole rims such as the (Pacenti Brevit). Used with some fast tires, the bike will feel great.

As others have chimed in, keep the original wheels and other parts with the bike, the rusty rims can/should perhaps be repainted.

"Clipless BMX" 1/2"-threaded pedals (branded as Wellgo, Redline or Bulletproof) are extremely hard to find, were made for but a couple of years some 20-plus years ago. Yet the original crankset is a huge part of this bike's character and cannot be tapped to 9/16".

I put a Brooks B-17 on my 1950 Schwinn Spitfire, no regrets since the "padded" saddle was worse than awful to ride on. Reupholstered, using new foam, the original saddle might be fine.

The fork appears to have trailing links, that is if there are slots in the huge dropouts for the axle to actually move(???).
There could be additional washers or spacer bushings needed to assure free vertical movement of the axle in the slots.

Not sure if the fork isn't perhaps slightly bent, the fender does look suspiciously close to the downtube(?).

With a tall handlebar, these can be great wheelie bikes.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
"Clipless BMX" 1/2"-threaded pedals (branded as Wellgo, Redline or Bulletproof) are extremely hard to find, were made for but a couple of years some 20-plus years ago. Yet the original crankset is a huge part of this bike's character and cannot be tapped to 9/16".
If you're referring to my "use BMX pedals" above, I certainly didn't mean spds/clipless I meant platforms that are better than the bow pedals that typically come on these relics. Definitely not on a cruiser/klunker ever (and not in BMX but that's way OT for this thread)
Old 03-09-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
If you're referring to my "use BMX pedals" above, I certainly didn't mean spds/clipless I meant platforms that are better than the bow pedals that typically come on these relics. Definitely not on a cruiser/klunker ever (and not in BMX but that's way OT for this thread)
I was not referring to any particular earlier posts, but did recall the issue of pedal choice coming up.
I really like clipless, but there are still a great number of flat pedal choices still available with 1/2" threading.

I've bought these for a few of my 1/2"-threaded Schwinns over the years when I was lucky enough to find them:

Last edited by dddd; 03-09-2023 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshogun View Post

RAIN/SNOW DATE MARCH 26
HERE IS THE PLACE:
YES ill be there. You going??
Old 03-09-2023, 09:26 PM

yes, i will be there. i may set up a table to sell but the swap in mid summer last year wasnt well attended.., plenty of vendors though
Old 03-09-2023, 09:54 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

With the caveat that it would be crazy to spend lots of money no matter what you do, I would do my utmost to keep the stuff (like the ashtabula crank) that gives the bike it's true personality. Change out what is totally trashed, but if at all possible (and reasonable) replace it with something that's either vintage or similar to the original. Minor stuff like the grips, change as you like, but important stuff like the drivetrain should not (IMO) go "modern."

Have fun - it looks like a neat project.
Old 03-10-2023, 06:48 AM

Totally cool ride but like someone mentioned. I'm not sure if the Hawthorne's draw much value nowdays.

I haven't seen anyone mention the Cabe yet. Best source I know of for info on these style of bikes.

https://thecabe.com/forum/

Have fun with this one, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I was not referring to any particular earlier posts, but did recall the issue of pedal choice coming up.
I really like clipless, but there are still a great number of flat pedal choices still available with 1/2" threading.
wow interesting, never saw 1/2" spds even for BMX, thought everyone was on 3pc cranks nowadays. I have the shimano red dx spds those are based on but 9/16..