Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2023, 09:14 PM

Centaur vs Chorus cassettes

I need two new cassettes. Ran the heck out of my Chorus ones, so need to replace. Looking to save some money, and thinking a Centaur cassette might be the ticket. I have no problem using cheaper group chains for my bike, but have never do it with the cassettes.
Am I likely to notice any shifting differences? They will be heavier. Are Centaur all loose or are the a mix of blocks and loose, like Chorus?
Old 03-08-2023, 09:57 PM
commuter racer

10 or 11 speed? Centaur cassettes are a great deal and shift just as well. just a little heavier.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:32 PM

11. As long as the shifting will be on par with the Chorus I've been running, that's what I am looking for
Old 03-09-2023, 05:29 AM

I replaced a Chorus 11s cassette with a Centaur unit. I don't believe there is any difference in shift quality between the two. I think the Centaur cassette has a different surface finish, but the cogs themselves appear to be the same to my eye.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:36 AM

Have been using the 12-32 centaur on the trainer and it's been fine.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:46 AM

I ordered a few Centaur 11-32 cassettes and they look identical to Potenza as well as Chorus to my eye and shift the same. I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use them again. I have two here new in box I may be moving along if you can't find any.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:32 AM

When I was running Campy 10s, I'd go all the way down to Veloce cassettes. I don't believe there was a difference in shifting. As with Shimano 105 vs Ultegra, there is definitely a difference in the surface finish. I think both Campy and Shimano would say something like the higher end cassettes get a nickel-something finish that should make the cogs harder. It's hard to say what the difference in longevity would be. I think Adam Kerin has made noises about testing Ultegra vs 105 cassettes a couple years back, but he is booked solid testing lubricants, so I don't see him finishing that test any time soon.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
When I was running Campy 10s, I'd go all the way down to Veloce cassettes. I don't believe there was a difference in shifting. As with Shimano 105 vs Ultegra, there is definitely a difference in the surface finish. I think both Campy and Shimano would say something like the higher end cassettes get a nickel-something finish that should make the cogs harder. It's hard to say what the difference in longevity would be. I think Adam Kerin has made noises about testing Ultegra vs 105 cassettes a couple years back, but he is booked solid testing lubricants, so I don't see him finishing that test any time soon.
This is what I remember about the 10s Campy--it was nickel plated on the Centaur and up, and they definitely looked better after use and exposure to weather. (I think then the Veloce was some kind of galvanized plating?-- and iirc they may have changed the Centaur to the same on the later production.)

But I never noticed and difference in shifting, and I don't ride enough to have an opinion on longevity..
Old 03-09-2023, 08:59 AM

I have a BNIB 11 speed Centaur 12-32 cassette I would like to sell, PM if interested.

Last edited by Turkle; 03-09-2023 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Added 11 speed
Old 03-09-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
I have a BNIB 11 speed Centaur 12-32 cassette I would like to sell, PM if interested.
Thanks, but I'm not sure the 32 will work with my short cage. I know a 29 does.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll give these a try.
Old 03-09-2023, 10:39 AM

I have a couple of bikes set up with full Centaur 11. Everything works reliably. Shifting feels a little mushy and Centaur shifts only shift one cog at a time, but I'm not too picky about that and am happy with the performance. I also appreciate having the 32 in the back when the gradients hit the tween digits and higher.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:42 AM

cassette

I've used Veloce cassettes on all my campy bikes (der a mix of record and chorus) for years without problems.....and saved a bunch of $
Old 03-10-2023, 07:45 AM
Redbasso2

Chorus cassettes last longer

Just like the difference between Shimano 105 and Ultegra, the better, more expensive cassettes tend to last longer. I wore out a Potenza 11 cassette at 6K miles(commuting mostly) and was surprised. And my Chorus 11 on my other bike has lasted much longer and shifts really good. So you pay more for the Chorus but I do believe it lasts longer.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbasso2 View Post
Just like the difference between Shimano 105 and Ultegra, the better, more expensive cassettes tend to last longer. I wore out a Potenza 11 cassette at 6K miles(commuting mostly) and was surprised. And my Chorus 11 on my other bike has lasted much longer and shifts really good. So you pay more for the Chorus but I do believe it lasts longer.
6,000 and you killed a cassette? Were the conditions really dirty?
Old 03-10-2023, 06:14 PM
Redbasso2

Yes, I ran the second chain a little too long, 4k. Then 2 gears started jumping and wouldn't stay put once the second new chain was on. It reminded me of when I first started cycling in the 80s, pre index shifting. I managed then to wear out a few freewheels...it's a terrible feeling when the chain inadvertently jumps gears. I know with the Potenza it was a worn freewheel because with a new Campy 11 freewheel, it then shifted perfectly. Probably it had to do with the crappy, dirty commuting miles on the drivetrain.