Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2023, 12:55 PM

Michigan Trails already has a 275 mile planned route from Port Huron to South Haven. All you need to do is just follow it. It is mostly on paved bicycle trails but some of it includes low traffic backroads. Google Great Lake-to-Lake Trail Route 1 (GLTLTrail.com).

Riding along the west coast of Michigan from South Haven to Muskegon goes through some interesting areas too. For example Sagutuck is a cute little tourist town north of South Haven. There are camping sites all along the coast.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarhog View Post
I guess my current areas that require more research are how to cross the border at Windsor. I’ve read that there is a ferry called Walpole-Algonac that crosses several times a day.
I don't believe you can ride across the bridge any more. I know at the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia to Port Huron you can request a ride over from the bridge folks but you're at the mercy of their schedule. There is in fact a ferry at Walpole Island (there used to also be one as well in Sombra/Marine city but it closed a few years ago). Another option is the tunnel from Windsor to Detroit, there is a bus that travels back and forth that I'm sure would accommodate your bike.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
Michigan Trails already has a 275 mile planned route from Port Huron to South Haven. All you need to do is just follow it. It is mostly on paved bicycle trails but some of it includes low traffic backroads. Google Great Lake-to-Lake Trail Route 1 (GLTLTrail.com).

Riding along the west coast of Michigan from South Haven to Muskegon goes through some interesting areas too. For example Sagutuck is a cute little tourist town north of South Haven. There are camping sites all along the coast.
This will help immensely, thanks!
Old 03-11-2023, 03:55 PM

18-19 days. ~1000 miles. Mid May in Upstate NY, Ontario, and Michigan.

How many bib shorts would one take? How would you handle laundering them? I plan to camp as much as practicable. Obviously if I get a hotel, I’ll wash things in the sink. Not sure they’ll dry between an evening wash and a morning departure hanging from my tent or a fence next to it…
Old 03-11-2023, 04:11 PM

I live in Muskegon. Ride by the car ferry all the time. I have a Michigan, Wisconsin rail trail book that may be of help I could send you. Also have an Adventure Cycling in Michigan book that is more dated but may be helpful. The Musketawa rail trail would get you to Muskegon. Quite a few rail trail routes in west Michigan too. Let me know if interested. Matthew
Old 03-11-2023, 04:20 PM

There was a magazine last year that had all Michigan rail trails, including the coast to coast

Michigan Trails Magazine

www.MiTrails.org

I have it if you can’t locate and need/want it

If you do attempt the Detroit Bridge and need help reach out. Look at ID requirements closely as they change….
Old 03-11-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:

How many bib shorts would one take? How would you handle laundering them? I plan to camp as much as practicable. Obviously if I get a hotel, I’ll wash things in the sink. Not sure they’ll dry between an evening wash and a morning departure hanging from my tent or a fence next to it…
Not just bib shorts.
A day or two of 50F and drizzle with a brisk northwest breeze would not be unusual at all here in May.
Last May we had a couple of days with accumulating snow too but let's not talk about that and hope for the best.
Plan accordingly.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I live in Muskegon. Ride by the car ferry all the time. I have a Michigan, Wisconsin rail trail book that may be of help I could send you. Also have an Adventure Cycling in Michigan book that is more dated but may be helpful. The Musketawa rail trail would get you to Muskegon. Quite a few rail trail routes in west Michigan too. Let me know if interested. Matthew
PM inbound, thanks!
Old 03-12-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLS View Post
There was a magazine last year that had all Michigan rail trails, including the coast to coast

Michigan Trails Magazine

www.MiTrails.org

I have it if you can’t locate and need/want it

If you do attempt the Detroit Bridge and need help reach out. Look at ID requirements closely as they change….
Thanks. I have an old Navy buddy who lives in Detroit who said he’d come across and bring me and the bike over if need be.

I will check with Canada on crossing requirements. I will have a “Real ID” driver’s license and a valid passport. Surely that’s sufficient?
Old 03-12-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I will check with Canada on crossing requirements. I will have a “Real ID” driver’s license and a valid passport. Surely that’s sufficient?
Passport is all you need.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:52 PM
Riding Along

Quote:

Two pairs should do. You can turn the laundered damp pair inside out and strap the them on top of the panniers to dry and uv light from my the sun will disinfect them as a bonus. A good concentrated multipurpose liquid camp soap works great and takes up little space. Campsuds or equivalent brand.

Last edited by Black Dog; 03-12-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdwon View Post
I don't believe you can ride across the bridge any more. I know at the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia to Port Huron you can request a ride over from the bridge folks but you're at the mercy of their schedule. There is in fact a ferry at Walpole Island (there used to also be one as well in Sombra/Marine city but it closed a few years ago). Another option is the tunnel from Windsor to Detroit, there is a bus that travels back and forth that I'm sure would accommodate your bike.
If I was planning this ride, I'd take the ferry at Walpole Island to cross the border. It is bike friendly. Years ago I was on a Michigan Century ride that purposely went into Canada using the ferry. At the time I thought this is the way to cross the border if one is on a bike. I would avoid anything to do with crossing the border around Detroit.