Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2023, 11:31 AM

I bought new stuff -

I tend to use and keep things a long time…a very long time…maybe too long? About 18 years ago I had Don Lamson (then with D2 shoes) make me some custom shoes. They served me very well for many years and countless miles. Last year it became obvious that over all that time my feet had changed enough to need a new pair of shoes.

Unfortunately I have trouble with out-of-the-box shoes. My instep is very high…so high that in many stock shoes the lower won’t even overlap the tongue. Or sometimes I can’t even open it enough to get my foot in the shoe. Along with the high instep comes a very high arch that needs support and if I put proper footbeds in a stock shoe to get support there’s no vertical room for my feet. This makes custom the way to go for me. Way back when I got my first custom shoes it changed cycling for me. I was more comfortable which meant longer rides which meant more fitness and more fun.

So I went to Don Lamson again and asked him to make me a new pair of custom shoes. After a bit of gentle teasing about how old my old shoes were he designed and made me shoes that actually fit my feet. The uppers are extended upward to properly cover and support my foot, the footbed fits my feet perfectly, and even with Boa closures I can very easily slip my foot right in. They fit me like a glove…erh...you know what I mean. It’s uncanny how well a shoe can fit when it’s designed from the start to fit your own feet. When I build custom frames for people this is the overall feeling I aim for.

My new shoes arrived just a few days ago and now I’m excited for the snow to melt and the roads to clear so that I can put some miles on these things and get them nice and dusty. It’s fun getting new stuff and I wanted to share my excitement.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4989.jpg (90.3 KB, 865 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_4984.jpg (89.1 KB, 866 views)
Old 03-01-2023, 11:36 AM

Those are very classy looking! Looks like SPD compatible?

How are the soles? That’s really the most important part for me. I got some very painful calluses with the cheap soles that came with my Shimano rx8.
Old 03-01-2023, 11:40 AM

Comfy contact point are where it's at and those look sweet!
Old 03-01-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Those are very classy looking! Looks like SPD compatible?

How are the soles? That’s really the most important part for me. I got some very painful calluses with the cheap soles that came with my Shimano rx8.
These shoes have the classic 3 hole "Look" mounting pattern for a road cleat. I'm sure that he also offers a 2 bolt cleat is that's what you are looking for.

The soles? I feel like I'm at the pointy edge of my understanding here so please give me a bit of room - curve of the last of the carbon sole is designed to fit the curve or your foot. On top of that sits a custom molded insole that is made from a mold of your foot. This insures that the foot is properly supported in the arch and heel counter.

And then over that is the upper that supports the foot and keeps it squared up and aligned to the footbed.

In the end the shoe is designed to fit your foot in every way while keeping it aligned to the pedal so that you can pedal efficiently.

Does that make sense?

dave
Old 03-01-2023, 11:49 AM

Great-looking shoes and if you have specific needs, custom gear by a talented craftsman is the way to go.

I'm a musician, and I have custom gear made for me by a superb craftsman that addresses my needs with great precision. If you need it, then you need it - and finding the right person that has the understanding and care to do the job right is critical!

Cheers - wear them in health, and with a tailwind!
Old 03-01-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
These shoes have the classic 3 hole "Look" mounting pattern for a road cleat. I'm sure that he also offers a 2 bolt cleat is that's what you are looking for.

The soles? I feel like I'm at the pointy edge of my understanding here so please give me a bit of room - curve of the last of the carbon sole is designed to fit the curve or your foot. On top of that sits a custom molded insole that is made from a mold of your foot. This insures that the foot is properly supported in the arch and heel counter.

And then over that is the upper that supports the foot and keeps it squared up and aligned to the footbed.

In the end the shoe is designed to fit your foot in every way while keeping it aligned to the pedal so that you can pedal efficiently.

Does that make sense?

dave
Thx for the feedback. So you had a mold made of your foot for the insoles?
Old 03-01-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thx for the feedback. So you had a mold made of your foot for the insoles?
Yes.

When you place the order you receive a box with a fitting kit and instructions. The fitting kit has a box with foam in it to take impressions of the soles of your feet.

I'm not 100% sure of the next step but I suspect that a replica of the bottom side of your foot is made from these impressions and then an insole is made from that. It's pretty cool - the insole is an exact match to the bottom of your foot.

You are also asked to make tracings of both of your feet as well as taking measurements over the top of the foot to show the shape and volume of the foot.

dave
Old 03-01-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Yes.

When you place the order you receive a box with a fitting kit and instructions. The fitting kit has a box with foam in it to take impressions of the soles of your feet.

I'm not 100% sure of the next step but I suspect that a replica of the bottom side of your foot is made from these impressions and then an insole is made from that. It's pretty cool - the insole is an exact match to the bottom of your foot.

You are also asked to make tracings of both of your feet as well as taking measurements over the top of the foot to show the shape and volume of the foot.

dave
That is very impressive. Those shoes look top notch. Now all you need is a classy lugged stainless steel bike to complete the ensemble. PM me if you need any recommendations 😉
Old 03-01-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
That is very impressive. Those shoes look top notch. Now all you need is a classy lugged stainless steel bike to complete the ensemble. PM me if you need any recommendations 😉
Do you know a guy?

dave
Old 03-01-2023, 12:51 PM

Dave, have you found regular walking shoes that fit or do you have those custom made too?
Old 03-01-2023, 12:51 PM
what's a little rust?

It must be fun for you to order a handmade custom item from someone else. I'd imagine you look at the whole experience very closely, looking for details about the service or the product that you haven't seen before, or that you might adapt to your own work. At least, that's what I would try to do.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:54 PM

Very cool Dave, some sweet looking shoes for the spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
It must be fun for you to order a handmade custom item from someone else. I'd imagine you look at the whole experience very closely, looking for details about the service or the product that you haven't seen before, or that you might adapt to your own work. At least, that's what I would try to do.
It is fun for me in that way.

I have purchased a few custom snowboards over the years and have really enjoyed the process. I do find that I look at my own work through fresh eyes after seeing how others do a similar thing.

That and it's fun to be on the other side of the relationship.

dave
Old 03-01-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Dave, have you found regular walking shoes that fit or do you have those custom made too?
It's easier with a soft and floppy lace up shoe. I have casual walking/running shoes that I wear around and with custom insoles they work OK...not great but good enough.

I usually work in Birkinstocks so that I don't have the tension/pressure of the upper pressing on the nerves that run across the top of the foot.

The hard thing to find is ski boots or hardshell snowboard boots. With a typical 'overlap' ski boot I can't get my foot to go into the boot shell even with the liner removed. Boots just aren't shaped like my feet. I use 'cabrio' style boots as they are the only thing I can get my feet into. It's interesting - my mother has very flat feet and my brother did also. I think my father had high arches/insteps but he died when i was a boy and can't be sure.

In a perfect world I'd have custom slip-on daily driver shoes but the cost is an issue.

dave
Old 03-01-2023, 02:54 PM

Those look sharp! What is the color/finish that makes them almost glow?