Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Guess they finally filled those tech editor spots. Hand signs are always the best indicator of writing and wrenching expertise.....

https://cyclingtips.com/2023/02/meet...-troy-templin/
https://cyclingtips.com/2023/02/intr...ramento-kings/
Pulled?
Old 03-01-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
Pulled?
https://cyclingtips.com/2023/03/meet...-troy-templin/

https://cyclingtips.com/2023/03/intr...lvin-holbrook/

Still there, new links

I don't really get the sass about a photo of the guys on bikes gesturing to the camera, though.

Despite my feelings about Outside as an organisation, the guys we're talking about (and Rice Rocket is teasing) are just people trying to make a living. It's not even like they're photos that were shot specifically.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:40 PM

This is pretty cool. I don't have subs to anything besides the NYTimes and New Yorker so this will be a first for me in the bike world. Hope they crush it!
Thanks for posting!
Old 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Troy is a great guy. Family man and lots of experience. Excellent rider, he's local here in socal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Guess they finally filled those tech editor spots. Hand signs are always the best indicator of writing and wrenching expertise.....

https://cyclingtips.com/2023/02/meet...-troy-templin/
https://cyclingtips.com/2023/02/intr...ramento-kings/
Old 03-01-2023, 05:20 PM

If Heidi Swifts writes for 'em, I'm in!
Old 03-01-2023, 05:29 PM

Ye olde progress meter on the Escape homepage is past 50%.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:45 PM

My hunch is that they made the target high anticipating a bunch of the $10 industry sign ups haha. I was member 2333 when they were somewhere around 30%...
Old 03-01-2023, 08:42 PM

I love the podcast so I'm in.

Magazines are pretty much gone these days so this is it.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:53 PM

just saw James' instagram post, exciting! will definitely look forward to this
Old 03-01-2023, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordanh View Post
My hunch is that they made the target high anticipating a bunch of the $10 industry sign ups haha. I was member 2333 when they were somewhere around 30%...
I'd imagine the target is a $ target, rather than member number.

And also noting that the progress bar is manually updated so your own membership number isn't really reflective of where the registrations are at for a given moment in time. I.e. I was 1700 and the progress bar was at 10%.

I did some back of the envelope calcs and would assume the $ figure is over $1m and potentially closer to $2m. They have 25 on staff and the going rate, based on the job ads Outside put out, for a journo in cycling ranges from $40-80k.

Plus they need to fund a website build, maintain/host the website and fund travel for staff if they intend on covering events.

The founders wall also doesn't really give a good indication of number of signups, there are 2300+ on the founders wall and ~50 lifetime members. But writing on the wall is optional, and I believe the comments are manually approved (mine took a while to go up there).

All very academic I know, I just enjoy the business side of things.

Last edited by jimoots; 03-01-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:39 AM

I think a good portion of the 25 are part-time contributors (thinking folks like Cosmo Catalano, Abby Mickey, Kate Wagner, Jose Been, the Grubers, Rob English, etc.). But those who are full time have been around for a while and will command salaries in the higher end of the range, so I would agree with you that they are indeed shooting for closer to $2M annually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
I did some back of the envelope calcs and would assume the $ figure is over $1m and potentially closer to $2m. They have 25 on staff and the going rate, based on the job ads Outside put out, for a journo in cycling ranges from $40-80k.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:59 AM

Now at 90%.

How good!
Old 03-06-2023, 08:44 AM

Just got this email - anyone who subscribed to Cycling Tips and received notifications about posts in the now-defunct CT forum most likely will too...

If anyone can't see the image, the 'forum post' is from Ulrich Albrecht and reads:
Wade and former CT editors launch new cycling journalism project escapecollective.cc

It’s still in a kickstarter phase, trying to attract enough paying members - but the concept and the persons that are involved sure look promising.
In case you get this message because Outside forgot to turn off notifications on the forum that they have simply hidden from view by sabotaging DNS - and are annoyed because you consider this unsolicited and uncalled for: I should make clear that this post is in no way backed by or has even been discussed with Wade or any other member of escape. It’s my personal way of being a bit sneaky.
Click on 'Read More' and needless to say you get nada, certainly not the CT forum, just a blank CT page. Nice trolling!
Old 03-06-2023, 10:12 AM

Hah!
Old 03-06-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylecycler View Post
Just got this email - anyone who subscribed to Cycling Tips and received notifications about posts in the now-defunct CT forum most likely will too...

If anyone can't see the image, the 'forum post' is from Ulrich Albrecht and reads:
Wade and former CT editors launch new cycling journalism project escapecollective.cc

It’s still in a kickstarter phase, trying to attract enough paying members - but the concept and the persons that are involved sure look promising.
In case you get this message because Outside forgot to turn off notifications on the forum that they have simply hidden from view by sabotaging DNS - and are annoyed because you consider this unsolicited and uncalled for: I should make clear that this post is in no way backed by or has even been discussed with Wade or any other member of escape. It’s my personal way of being a bit sneaky.
Click on 'Read More' and needless to say you get nada, certainly not the CT forum, just a blank CT page. Nice trolling!
Who is "Ulrich Albrecht"?

I am not in the loop.