Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
At a certain point, value of time....you always have lots of questions. Dude seems that he would have all the answers. Hook him up. Become an apprentice
Do you not like the lots of questions because you're a shop guy, and you're resentful of people getting advice and info for free?

I'm on another forum where I'm an OG expert, and I answer questions where I can help, and I pass the ones where the inquiry goes beyond getting some insight and pointers to the point of essentially free consulting. But I refrain from posting responses that don't further the conversation and just say, "go hire a consultant."

Feel free to leave all of my threads unopened.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:20 AM

It would be a lot of threads

https://youtube.com/@parktool
Calvin Jones is an incredible resource and is very active in the comments. I've been reading and watching him for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Do you not like the lots of questions because you're a shop guy, and you're resentful of people getting advice and info for free?

I'm on another forum where I'm an OG expert, and I answer questions where I can help, and I pass the ones where the inquiry goes beyond getting some insight and pointers to the point of essentially free consulting. But I refrain from posting responses that don't further the conversation and just say, "go hire a consultant."

Feel free to leave all of my threads unopened.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
It would be a lot of threads

https://youtube.com/@parktool
Calvin Jones is an incredible resource and is very active in the comments. I've been reading and watching him for years
The Park Tool Youtube channel is definitely one of my go-tos. The Free To Cycle is another, and his accent is the best!
Old 02-27-2023, 09:46 AM

Free to cycle

Quote:
The Park Tool Youtube channel is definitely one of my go-tos. The Free To Cycle is another, and his accent is the best!
Love, love his no bull**** approach. We, btw, use hayes six bolt rotors for the 8020 sets which are a PITA to bleed and often swap out the default pads for semi metallic from Shimano which seem to "grab" much better than the OG ones. While we're bleeding and such we have a "shop pair" of rotors pads to use so new ones don't get contaminated which can happen in an instant and is really, really hard to get back to spec if it happens with new pads or rotors.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:31 PM

Success, thanks to all.
I first took the Bingham out with the new MTX pads and followed MTX's bedding in process. I've been braking too hard when doing this, obviously. Those are great pads!

Then I swapped in the wheel from the Habanero with the TRP rotor. I did 3 bedding runs, and the brakes were good - maybe not quite as good as the SwissStop rotor, but plenty good.

I was tired of messing around in the basement on this so I did the full court press. I sanded and torched (briefly, they didn't smoke) the pads, cleaned the rotor again with alcohol (not an IPA), and finally re-bled the system. I still didn't see any air come into the bleed cup but it's done.

Back out to bed the pads in properly. Everything seems to work as it should. I think I'm going to get more of the MTX pads, they are the best pads I've tried.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:47 PM
Meh

Glad this worked out for you.

The MTX reds are a big upgrade over OEM for SRAM and Shimano road hydros IMO. The only question mark I haven't answered on them yet is durability in wet and muddy conditions vs metallic sintered pads (which usually have the edge on that).

Quote:
Success, thanks to all.
I first took the Bingham out with the new MTX pads and followed MTX's bedding in process. I've been braking too hard when doing this, obviously. Those are great pads!

Then I swapped in the wheel from the Habanero with the TRP rotor. I did 3 bedding runs, and the brakes were good - maybe not quite as good as the SwissStop rotor, but plenty good.

I was tired of messing around in the basement on this so I did the full court press. I sanded and torched (briefly, they didn't smoke) the pads, cleaned the rotor again with alcohol (not an IPA), and finally re-bled the system. I still didn't see any air come into the bleed cup but it's done.

Back out to bed the pads in properly. Everything seems to work as it should. I think I'm going to get more of the MTX pads, they are the best pads I've tried.