Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2023, 08:51 AM

From the article:

Quote:
After being questioned, Quintana-Lujan was arrested on multiple charges and booked at the Maricopa County Jail
First I must say I am surprised that they simply didn't let him walk as it was an 'accident' and the old 'cyclist jumped out in front of me' excuse.

They must have suspected something from that questioning.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
Why?
Willingly giving up freedom for the perception of safety is a loser's bet or a bolshevik's wetdream, take your pick.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I dont even need to hear any more facts. Here are the applicable facts:

-A driver is responsible to maintain control for his/her vehicle at all times

-Hitting a group of cyclists, killing two and injuring 11 on a bright sunny day means the driver was not in control of the vehicle.

Throw the book at him and never let him behind the wheel of a vehicle again IMO. I dont give a damn what his story is.
Devil's advocate here. As monkeys who evolved out of the jungle speed was never our thing. Today we have machines that put us in predicaments that we would never have been physically capable of doing. We can even fly in the sky for example. So it's a kind of trade off. We all agree that we can try and use these machines as responsibly as possible but realize that sometimes something goes wrong.

Then of course there are medical reasons like a friend of mine who crashed his car into another one permanently injuring the driver of the other car but unbeknownst to him at the time he had epilepsy and had a seizure while driving.

"That being said"
no excuses vor violating that responsibility agreement by doing things like drinking and driving, texting while driving etc...

But things in life are not black and white.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Willingly giving up freedom for the perception of safety is a loser's bet or a bolshevik's wetdream, take your pick.

Somehow I knew that would be your response.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
How do you feel about speed limits or not being allowed to drive on the sidewalk? Do those also make you have a temper tantrum?
Old 02-27-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
You want me to use a breathalyzer because you think putting one into a convicted drunks car is profiling. No, they broke the laws. Wow. People like you scare me.
Should make them put a sticker at the front and rear of the car, branding them as a convicted DUI/DWI. No consequences in this country. Everything is a slap on the wrist.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
I just googled this "making breathylyzers mandatory in all cars" and I guess it may actually happen in the year 2026?...of course this is the current presidential administrations agenda and maybe then some so it is kinda political. May happen may not I dunno but it seems like it makes sense??? anyways google that and you will find several google links to reports about it.
The "breathalyzers in all cars by 2026" is a bit of a leap. The federal infrastructure bill passed last year gave the NTSB 3 years to write rules for alcohol monitoring systems. And the law allows the NTSB to seek an extension to the 3 year window (which I'm guessing is quite likely). The idea of "breathalyzer in every car" is merely an extrapolation, and is unlikely to become a reality. Instead, it will more likely take the form of some type of passive monitoring system, such as the driver monitoring systems already in use in systems like GM's Super Cruise feature.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Should make them put a sticker at the front and rear of the car, branding them as a convicted DUI/DWI. No consequences in this country. Everything is a slap on the wrist.
We actually have special "Whisky Plates" in Minnesota for high risk DUI offenders. They all start with WA or WP for example "WA0045". They are the only plates that look like that... unfortunately I notice them all the time. The police still need probable cause to pull someone over with them.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Civilization would not be possible if we were not willing, as a society, to give up some freedoms in deference to other people's well being.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:38 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Civilization would not be possible if we were not willing, as a society, to give up some freedoms in deference to other people's well being.
Old 02-27-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I'm calling B.S. in this case. Requiring a vast number of people to pay for and use a breathalyzer just because our society fails to deal with DUI's properly is a foolish notion.

A better start would be swift capital punishment for DUI cases where you take another life. Oh, but no.... how dare we actually think the criminal should be punished. Let's punish all of society...
Old 02-27-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Nice platitude, except it has no bearing on requiring a law abiding citizen to bear the cost and inconvenience of testing for alcohol intoxication to convenience criminals and the woke mob who think testing convicted drunks is profiling. Utter BS
Old 02-27-2023, 10:51 AM

lol i come here for the 'woke' 'bolshevik's wetdream' content
Old 02-27-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Nice platitude, except it has no bearing on requiring a law abiding citizen to bear the cost and inconvenience of testing for alcohol intoxication to convenience criminals and the woke mob who think testing convicted drunks is profiling. Utter BS
In this case, installing breathalyzers in all cars is going a bit to far, but I still refer you back to the earlier post about driving being a privilege, not a right.
Old 02-27-2023, 10:52 AM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
I'm calling B.S. in this case. Requiring a vast number of people to pay for and use a breathalyzer just because our society fails to deal with DUI's properly is a foolish notion.

A better start would be swift capital punishment for DUI cases where you take another life. Oh, but no.... how dare we actually think the criminal should be punished. Let's punish all of society...
Swift capital punishment?

Yikes!