Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2023, 12:14 PM
50 bpm

Do not confuse driving as a right. It is a privilege. If you abuse it, you lose it. If you can lose your voting rights you can certainly lose your driving privileges. And I understand the "but how will they make a living" and "they'll drive anyway even if they don't have a license" arguments. They don't hold water with me.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Do not confuse driving as a right. It is a privilege. If you abuse it, you lose it. If you can lose your voting rights you can certainly lose your driving privileges. And I understand the "but how will they make a living" and "they'll drive anyway even if they don't have a license" arguments. They don't hold water with me.
Yep. There are states that require a breathalyzer to be installed post-DUI and I'm okay with that.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:30 PM

In CT one of the things the DOT is doing is narrowing the painted lanes to reduce speeds. The problem is the drivers are simply driving on the shoulder to maintain the lateral distance between oncoming cars. This is extremely consistent, based on what I see while I drive.

Basically the DOT is unintentionally normalizing driving on the shoulder. This happens all the time and it's a bit scary because I see people driving on the shoulder consistently on roads that I'd normally ride on. This is also the case on the highways in the area.

(And they wonder why people run into parked fire trucks, police cars, etc, on the highway)

I'm not sure what the solution is, although the first thing to do is probably put in the rumble strips on the white lines, to discourage drivers from crossing them. It's not popular here due to ice/snow, but they have it on the yellow lines here and there, so it accepted at some level here.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Here are the applicable facts:

-A driver is responsible to maintain control for his/her vehicle at all times

-Hitting a group of cyclists, killing two and injuring 11 on a bright sunny day means the driver was not in control of the vehicle.

Throw the book at him and never let him behind the wheel of a vehicle again IMO. I dont give a damn what his story is.
+ a bazillion
Old 02-26-2023, 02:37 PM

My son will be driving (or eligible to drive) in just over 5 years. I am trying to teach him some stuff without "teaching" him the stuff. One of the things I do is try to demonstrate and emphasize how important it is to pay attention to driving. As I tell him regularly, "When I drive my responsibility is to drive; if the phone rings or something then I need to stop driving so I can pay attention to something else like my phone."

One thing is I point out people who don't stay in lanes - this is big to me as a vulnerable road user that relies on having a "protected area" on the shoulder. I also stay in my lane, even on curves where so many people go over the yellow line that the yellow line is gone.

I also signal every turn, stop at stop signs (I do that on my bike too, even though my son isn't around), don't run "no turn on red", etc etc. There are some practical things that I do as well, like going 5-10 over, or maintaining flow of traffic.

One thing that I do at night is I drive far enough behind but still be able to see the car in my light beam. This way I have two car's worth of headlights view of the road.

Even in daylight I do similar things, especially on, say high way exit ramps. If I can see the car in front of me, then they are acting as my point person, and if they see something and react to it, I can react proactively.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Yep. There are states that require a breathalyzer to be installed post-DUI and I'm okay with that.
That kinda sounds like profiling, how about just making them standard equipment on all cars? In theory and it has happened for example...I read about a guy(repeat offender with no license) who was drunk taking a car for a joy ride and hitting a couple on a motorcycle. One of them died the other survived with life threatening injuries. So yeah just one more electronic gizmo to pay for if you wanna drive, problem solved.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:27 PM

making breathylyzers mandatory in all cars

I just googled this "making breathylyzers mandatory in all cars" and I guess it may actually happen in the year 2026?...of course this is the current presidential administrations agenda and maybe then some so it is kinda political. May happen may not I dunno but it seems like it makes sense??? anyways google that and you will find several google links to reports about it.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
In CT one of the things the DOT is doing is narrowing the painted lanes to reduce speeds. The problem is the drivers are simply driving on the shoulder to maintain the lateral distance between oncoming cars. This is extremely consistent, based on what I see while I drive.

Basically the DOT is unintentionally normalizing driving on the shoulder. This happens all the time and it's a bit scary because I see people driving on the shoulder consistently on roads that I'd normally ride on. This is also the case on the highways in the area.

(And they wonder why people run into parked fire trucks, police cars, etc, on the highway)

I'm not sure what the solution is, although the first thing to do is probably put in the rumble strips on the white lines, to discourage drivers from crossing them. It's not popular here due to ice/snow, but they have it on the yellow lines here and there, so it accepted at some level here.
Where I rode in NE Texas, the highways had really wide shoulders and rumble strips on the white lines. Even if the driver never saw me, the annoyance of the rumbling made them move left. It was unnerving to hear though.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
I just googled this "making breathylyzers mandatory in all cars" and I guess it may actually happen in the year 2026?...of course this is the current presidential administrations agenda and maybe then some so it is kinda political. May happen may not I dunno but it seems like it makes sense??? anyways google that and you will find several google links to reports about it.
It’s a nice thought to have some protective measure against drunk drivers, but I can’t imagine the practicality of this. What about all of the cars currently on the road without this equipment? How easy will it be to disable these things or fool them? I imagine drunk driving among other irresponsibilities will unfortunately continue to be a part of the human experience.
Old 02-26-2023, 07:36 PM

with the current "Karen" culture.... running someone over on a bike is sorta on the periphery. Particularly if said "Karen" is on the way to do something "important" for a kid or a box of wine. Kinda sucks, as you just inconveniently got in the way

I hate it for the family of the maimed and deceased, staying out of the way is what its all about

The repercussions are kinda minimal....and that blows...not sure how to change that
Old 02-26-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
That kinda sounds like profiling, how about just making them standard equipment on all cars? In theory and it has happened for example...I read about a guy(repeat offender with no license) who was drunk taking a car for a joy ride and hitting a couple on a motorcycle. One of them died the other survived with life threatening injuries. So yeah just one more electronic gizmo to pay for if you wanna drive, problem solved.
You want me to use a breathalyzer because you think putting one into a convicted drunks car is profiling. No, they broke the laws. Wow. People like you scare me.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:39 PM
50 bpm

We could choose to solve this problem but — like other problems that result in violent deaths — we choose not to.

Not choosing means continuing to make the same, deadly mistakes. And that’s by choice.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
But that's temporary. Or after a evening at the bar, have your buddy blow into the thing, or go buy another car. In reality, there is very little that can be done to keep a repeat offender from driving a car short of jail.
Quote:
I just googled this "making breathylyzers mandatory in all cars" and I guess it may actually happen in the year 2026?.
That has ZERO chance of becoming law regardless of who's sitting in any 'big chair'. About as much chance as not allowing the driver to use their cellie when driving-Zero.
Quote:
with the current "Karen" culture.... running someone over on a bike is sorta on the periphery. Particularly if said "Karen" is on the way to do something "important" for a kid or a box of wine.
Hmm, I guess calling somebody a 'karen' is now OK(there are plenty of male 'karens-check YT), when calling somebody a 'nancy' isn't...need a rule book.
Quote:
We could choose to solve this problem but — like other problems that result in violent deaths — we choose not to.
Yup, Elefantino above gets it.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-27-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post

I disagree. A majority of drivers do, in fact, try to follow the rules and try to drive between the lines. If you take a 10 or 11 ft travel lane and narrow it by one foot, most drivers will respond by driving a little more slowly. The additional foot of shoulder is also helpful in that it reduces, very generally, the traffic load on shoulders, leaving the pavement more intact for longer, and making it easier for cyclists, or runners or whatever, to effectively use or retreat to the shoulder.
I was a Selectman in my town for two decades, and implemented this on local roads. We observed positive changes.
There are all sorts of “traffic calming” approaches being tried out around the country and around the world. They are evaluated for effectiveness. Many of them work. All are trying to respond to the unacceptable carnage and abuse of privilege demonstrated by thoughtless motorists. Nothing is perfect, but the movement is good.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
You want me to use a breathalyzer because you think putting one into a convicted drunks car is profiling. No, they broke the laws. Wow. People like you scare me.
Why?