Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have had a R300 and Helix road plus a bunch of others. I still have a Pro 29 Helix and a R500.

The R300 is the more compliant riding frame compared to the Helix. It is a great all around road bike with good tire clearance and well planted feel. The Helix had a stiffer feel, but still was a smooth riding bike. Both bikes had similar geometry.

I built up a late model Urbano which is the predecessor to the GR300 and it was an excellent gravel bike. Loved how it road and it was very comfortable. Wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the Lynskey offerings in the gravel segment.

If you are after a more compliant feel then I would stick with the non Helix models, but I will say the Helix models still ride very nicely. They just feel a bit stiffer while maintaining a smooth ride feel.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
This is super helpful!

As a follow up:

What type of rider would you say you are?

What type of terrain would you guess that I'd notice this stiffness on (chatter vs big hits)?

For reference, I'm asking because I can be an aggressive rider off road, having come from a DH background, I enjoy acting a bit reckless with it from time to time
Old 02-25-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Great thread, I had many questions about these frames and they've all been answered here except one:

What's the tire clearance on the Pro GR?

edit: it's on their site....700c x max 45mm

Agreed - it's hard to find info online regarding their differentiating features, qualities, and characteristics..
Old 02-26-2023, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlevy05 View Post
This is super helpful!

As a follow up:

What type of rider would you say you are?

What type of terrain would you guess that I'd notice this stiffness on (chatter vs big hits)?

For reference, I'm asking because I can be an aggressive rider off road, having come from a DH background, I enjoy acting a bit reckless with it from time to time
I am a heavier more powerful rider at 5'8 and 210lbs. I spend more time on my mtb's at this stage, but still get out for road and gravel rides as well.

The compliance is noticeable everywhere imo. They all ride pretty efficiently, but the Helix just has that little bit more umph which does translate to a stiffer feel over the same terrain. The Urbano and R300 just tend to soak up the bumps and absorb them a bit better when the road surfaces get bumpy, rocky or chip seal.

Old 02-26-2023, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
I had a Helix cyclocross from 2010 to 2012 or so. Cantilever era. Nice riding tight, stiff bike and no complaints until the head tube cracked. It hadn't been ridden all that much. Maybe 30 races and a dozen training rides. The repair was a joke - just some filler - so I sold it (with disclosure of course). This was my second problem Lynskey (2009 R430) with cracks and poor warranty service so I moved on. Long thread about it about a decade ago. Caveat emptor. Not good people in my experience. Others may differ.

PS - in response to above - denting in routine use not an issue barring significant impact that would crack carbon and seriously dent alloy or steel. Also in response to OP - Helix stiffer than round 3/2.5 tubes.
Geez sorry to hear - It seems like HT cracks were common, but I see less reported today. Many people seem to appreciate Lynskey's good warranty policy, but sorry you didn't experience the same. I'm betting things have improved today as we don't see too many GR300 failures..
Old 02-26-2023, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
Don’t discount the GR300 for what you are looking for. It is plenty compliant. I got one for my 120lb wife. I ride a GR Race, which is no longer made. It is essential the Pro GR with no fender mounts, 6/4 top tube, and shorter chain stays designed only for 1x. It is plenty compliant. I pair mine with a Lauf Grit SL fork and Lauf Smoothie bars, and it is supper comfortable on chatter, and I can fly downhill. You can also use wheels to enhance comfort. I am really impressed with the Flocycling G700s and the Spinergy GXX wheels. I got the Spinergy GXX wheels for my wife and she loves them. In fact, these may be my next gravel wheels: https://www.spinergy.com/products/gxx-s-powershift

The Helix tube set should perhaps be less compliant than the GR300 given the Helix tubing. The point of the Helix shaping is to make the tubing stiffer. But any good Ti bike should be nice.
Agreed! The GR300 is my first choice (and those Synergy wheels are awesome! - I've been a big fan of them since the 90's).

The problem I have (stated above) is that after all discounts and in the config I'm looking for, the GR300 is the MOST EXPENSIVE - when in fact its MSRP is the LEAST Expensive. That, combined with the fact that this is its second or third year in production so it will likely be replaced in a year makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off when I could buy the Helix for less money than the GR300, and the Pro Gr for less money than the Helix

Such a weird pricing arrangement from Lynskey, but that's the situation I'm confronted with now.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:44 AM

I have a pro gr. I run it with either 43mm 700c or 650b 2.1” tires. I don’t find the bike to be harsh at all. I don’t have a comparison between there different models though. I think once you start getting into the beefier tires you don’t notice or perhaps I just get used to what I’m riding after 5 min and then it just feels like riding. Idk. I just liked the look of the pro so that’s why I got it. The helix is new, maybe if they would have had that one at the time I may have bought that instead.

Good luck
Old 02-26-2023, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post
I have a pro gr. I run it with either 43mm 700c or 650b 2.1” tires. I don’t find the bike to be harsh at all. I don’t have a comparison between there different models though. I think once you start getting into the beefier tires you don’t notice or perhaps I just get used to what I’m riding after 5 min and then it just feels like riding. Idk. I just liked the look of the pro so that’s why I got it. The helix is new, maybe if they would have had that one at the time I may have bought that instead.

Good luck
This could be it. I have a 6/4 Vortex, rolling on 700c x 25's and its harsh. I love the ride - for road, it's perfect. But couldn't think of riding it on cobblestone, XC or enduro trails, which I'd be using a gravel bike for.

Interesting about tire sizes. I'd definitely run 40-45mm tires on the gravel bike, good to know you don't find it overly harsh.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:40 AM

I own a R300 and a rim brake Helix. I am very happy with my Helix, it rides great its responsive and comfortable. The R300 came up in the local classified for a good price, so I bought it and set it up same as my Helix. Running R8070 Di2 and currently 700x30s. Rides great, its not the exact bike as the Helix but it does the job without compromise. My previous disc brake bike sucked in comparison it was a 2022 Trek Domane, the R300 is much better in all aspects.

My gravel bike is not a Lynskey only because I got a great deal thru a local shop.

Would not hesitate to buy another Lynskey. Also about your price issue, send an email to their customer service with your concerns they can probably work some magic.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:42 AM

Quote:
This could be it. I have a 6/4 Vortex, rolling on 700c x 25's and its harsh. I love the ride - for road, it's perfect. But couldn't think of riding it on cobblestone, XC or enduro trails, which I'd be using a gravel bike for.

Interesting about tire sizes. I'd definitely run 40-45mm tires on the gravel bike, good to know you don't find it overly harsh.
Another thing to mention I have a redshift stem on the bike. That makes a big difference as well. I have them on 2 of my “gravel” bikes that being my Lynskey and my older Seven cross bike that will only take a 38mm tire max. I also have a soma Wolverine but that’s a whole different ball game there.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Agreed! The GR300 is my first choice (and those Synergy wheels are awesome! - I've been a big fan of them since the 90's).

The problem I have (stated above) is that after all discounts and in the config I'm looking for, the GR300 is the MOST EXPENSIVE - when in fact its MSRP is the LEAST Expensive. That, combined with the fact that this is its second or third year in production so it will likely be replaced in a year makes me feel like I'm getting ripped off when I could buy the Helix for less money than the GR300, and the Pro Gr for less money than the Helix

Such a weird pricing arrangement from Lynskey, but that's the situation I'm confronted with now.
If you are concerned about money, why not look at the used market? Looking at a new Lynskey GR300 is priced at ~$7,000 with what I would want.
This can be had at $2000 less and it is less than two years old.
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3353990/
It is 1x and may have bag rub marks on the frame that may need to be buffed out though.
Old 02-26-2023, 10:17 AM

I have the 6/4 top and downtube equipped R500 and it is still a super smooth ride. I am running 32mm tires on 21 ID rims and have not had any issues whatsoever with it being overly stiff. I don't think any of these bikes you are looking at are bone shakers. Just slight differences in geometry and stiffness between models. Every one of them will still have a smooth compliant feel given the tire sizes available and just overall design.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk View Post

Good luck
Have you ever run it with fenders?

I'm interested in the Pro GR primarily because it has braze-ons for fenders

The look of the bike is fine with me but I actually prefer the look of the Helix Pro and it's level top tube but it doesn't have fender braze-ons
Old 02-26-2023, 10:41 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvivr6 View Post
My previous disc brake bike sucked in comparison it was a 2022 Trek Domane
Which model and OCLV# if I may inquire.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:

You wouldn’t go wrong with the Pro G. I rode a custom Lynskey 6/4 road frame for years. It was perfectly compliant. The Pro GR will also be compliant, especially when you take into account the longer chainstays. Pair it up with the Spinergy wheels with the PBO spokes and good rubber, and you will have an exceptionally comfortable bike. BBDave bought the ProGravel at my suggestion and he really likes it.

As an aside, I broke the chainstay on my custom Lynskey road frame while on my my trainer when the frame was over 13 years old. When I called Lynskey, I was told that “a lifetime warranty means lifetime,” and I was offered a new replacement frame. I was in need of the gravel bike, and Lynskey let me pay a very reasonable upgrade fee for GR Race and sold me the Lauf fork at a very good price. The company is great to deal with and I highly recommend its bikes. Lynskey treated me so well, I gladly purchased the bike for my wife when she was in the market (GR300).

As you your questions, call Lynskey and ask! I’ve dealt with Jordan and he is really helpful with technical questions and with my questions related to sizing.

I do think there was a place in its line for the GR Race. I don’t bikepack and never will use fenders or racks, and could care less about the braze-ones. I wanted a more race-oriented bike to set up as a mullet AXS build, and I prefer shorter chainstays. All of of my rides and the races/events I have done have been between 2-7 hours. The bike has been great for that.

Last edited by djg21; 02-26-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:29 PM

Very helpful responses! I'll call Lynskey and see what they have to say . Thanks everyone!