Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 03:58 PM

Has anyone ridden a Lynskey Helix Gravel ?

Debating between this and a gr300, anyone ridden a Helix Gravel and a GR250/270/300?

Or anyone ridden a road Helix and the R300 or similar?

I want a softer, compliant frame that soaks up the chatter and therefore swaying away from considering the Pro GR.

Lynskey's info on the Helix isn't so clear regarding how smooth a ride this is compared to standard shaped tubes...
Old 02-25-2023, 04:16 PM

I have a road non-disc Helix and it is plenty stiff. It has an Enve 2.0 fork, Fulcrum Zero wheels, and 25mm tires. I'm 6'1" and 210. I also have an Open Min.d so I have a comfy reference.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:23 PM

Thanks, that's half-way toward an answer

I also wonder if the flat sections facing the dirt are more prone to denting from rocks/debris on the helix than the rounded tubes... seems like they might... especially on a gravel bike ....?
Old 02-25-2023, 04:45 PM
Huffing Mastik

I had a Helix cyclocross from 2010 to 2012 or so. Cantilever era. Nice riding tight, stiff bike and no complaints until the head tube cracked. It hadn't been ridden all that much. Maybe 30 races and a dozen training rides. The repair was a joke - just some filler - so I sold it (with disclosure of course). This was my second problem Lynskey (2009 R430) with cracks and poor warranty service so I moved on. Long thread about it about a decade ago. Caveat emptor. Not good people in my experience. Others may differ.

PS - in response to above - denting in routine use not an issue barring significant impact that would crack carbon and seriously dent alloy or steel. Also in response to OP - Helix stiffer than round 3/2.5 tubes.

Last edited by ldamelio; 02-25-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlevy05 View Post
Thanks, that's half-way toward an answer

I also wonder if the flat sections facing the dirt are more prone to denting from rocks/debris on the helix than the rounded tubes... seems like they might... especially on a gravel bike ....?
Last weekend, my Helix fell over and landed on short brick wall at Saguaro NP. I thought the worst, but it buffed out with a scotchbrite. No dent. That is a much harder hit than any rock on a gravel road.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:05 PM

If you're after compliant, I don't think ti is going to do it for you.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Debating between this and a gr300, anyone ridden a Helix Gravel and a GR250/270/300?

I want a softer, compliant frame that soaks up the chatter and therefore swaying away from considering the Pro GR.

Lynskey's info on the Helix isn't so clear regarding how smooth a ride this is compared to standard shaped tubes...
Don’t discount the GR300 for what you are looking for. It is plenty compliant. I got one for my 120lb wife. I ride a GR Race, which is no longer made. It is essential the Pro GR with no fender mounts, 6/4 top tube, and shorter chain stays designed only for 1x. It is plenty compliant. I pair mine with a Lauf Grit SL fork and Lauf Smoothie bars, and it is supper comfortable on chatter, and I can fly downhill. You can also use wheels to enhance comfort. I am really impressed with the Flocycling G700s and the Spinergy GXX wheels. I got the Spinergy GXX wheels for my wife and she loves them. In fact, these may be my next gravel wheels: https://www.spinergy.com/products/gxx-s-powershift

The Helix tube set should perhaps be less compliant than the GR300 given the Helix tubing. The point of the Helix shaping is to make the tubing stiffer. But any good Ti bike should be nice.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:19 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:

From what I understand I don't think it would be any more compliant than standard round tubes. Frameset-wise I think compliance has more to do with the stays and the length of the seatpost. A longer post on a frame with a shorter seattube takes the edge off.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:24 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

2019 Helix Pro Disc. The Pro prob their stiffest offering.. but compliant it is not. I run 30mm @ 80 psi and it feels/tracks like a Merlin extra light, or Extra-Light Spectum Super IMO.

I will assume the gravel version fit bigger tires, so fat tire @ lower PSi may well bring comfort VS mine.

I'd guess rider weight and size/lengths of the tubes can make it more or Less so in road feel rigid feel...

Not realizing there was a Helix gravel, going to go look...

EDIT: quick look. Fits fatties and unlike the 6/4 incorporated into my disc Pro not sure mine is really reasonably analogous.

Sure looks nice to me though...

I can say 71 HTA is something you should make good and sure you want. Looks like be super stable off road bike that might steer hy-brid like on pavement... That is an opinionated subjective spouting of my 2 cents, YMMV.

Last edited by robt57; 02-25-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:35 PM

My road helix was one of the stiffest bikes I ever owned. My r300 and another Lynskey custom way smoother riding. All nice bikes for the $$ (only complaint was the welds looked like crap on the Helix if that matters)
Old 02-25-2023, 06:06 PM

I’m pretty sure Hilltopper has had one under him and really liked it.
He’s a bigger more powerful type rider.
I won’t steal his thunder anymore than this.
I’m sure he will reply.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:56 PM

I have four titanium road bikes from four different manufacturers. The Lynskey Helix (disc) is the least coveted and the one I swear I would sell first…but I use it the most. I can do an hour and a half commute to work and it soaks up all the bumps in the road - wider tires and lower tire pressures do help as well. On a day long ride where I know the roads are going to beat my body, the Helix is the one I reach for first just because it is comfortable. It is stable and tracks well in the wind.
The downside…weight. It is definitely portly. The current road Helix (size M/L) is listed at 3.9 pounds and the Helix Pro is 3.8 pounds. The Helix Gravel is 4.1 pounds.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:23 PM

OP here... Thanks for responses. In case it wasn't clear from my initial post - I don't want the stiffer frame.

Here's what I've gathered so far:

The PRO GR doesn't appeal for me, as the stiffness of 6/4 is not something I'd want off of pavement.

Comments here seem to indicate that the Helix Gravel may be more stiff than the GR300, making me lean towards the GR300.

The confusing thing about all this is:

The gravel frames at MSRP in order of most to least expensive are: Pro GR, Helix Gravel, and GR300 (in my desired config).

What's equally funny and stupid is that after discounts, the Pro GR is cheapest, followed by the Helix Gravel, followed by the GR300 being the most expensive.

So I can't help but feel like while shopping for a gravel frame, despite the GR300 being most compliant and comfortable for gravel use, what's keeping me from jumping on the GR300 is that it's an older frame, likely to be replaced by a newer model within the next year and comes out more expensive than the Helix Gravel, and the Pro GR, despite being the cheapest frame at MSRP/ the entry level offering.

So I guess the question is whether or not the cheaper, more premium model of the Helix still fits the bill in terms of ride quality? The Pro GR is out, but would the helix be comfortable enough compared to the GR300? Would it be similar in feel and ride over chunky, chattery terrain or the odd jump/drop, or will I feel like I'm on something that will beat me up?

I understand that these aren't the lightest of frames, for a gravel bike that's not too big a concern. I'm sure the build will be under 20lbs which is more than light enough for me.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:26 PM

I have had a R300 and Helix road plus a bunch of others. I still have a Pro 29 Helix and a R500.

The R300 is the more compliant riding frame compared to the Helix. It is a great all around road bike with good tire clearance and well planted feel. The Helix had a stiffer feel, but still was a smooth riding bike. Both bikes had similar geometry.

I built up a late model Urbano which is the predecessor to the GR300 and it was an excellent gravel bike. Loved how it road and it was very comfortable. Wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the Lynskey offerings in the gravel segment.

If you are after a more compliant feel then I would stick with the non Helix models, but I will say the Helix models still ride very nicely. They just feel a bit stiffer while maintaining a smooth ride feel.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 02-25-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:31 PM

Great thread, I had many questions about these frames and they've all been answered here except one:

What's the tire clearance on the Pro GR?

edit: it's on their site....700c x max 45mm

Last edited by jet sanchez; 02-25-2023 at 07:35 PM.