Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 10:59 AM
Meh

Shimano Linkglide XT 8130 and CUES (now with road content)

You have my attention Shimano. After falling out of love with Shimano’s 12 speed mountain bike drivetrains, this might be the ticket back. And yes…. It’s really f’ing heavy and only has 11 (or 10) speeds. Who cares!

https://nsmb.com/articles/gambling-o...nkglide-m8130/h

Last edited by EB; 03-01-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 11:11 AM

Interesting read.

That written I haven't had much trouble with HG+ in the 18 months I've been riding it.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:09 PM

More tiers have been announced:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shiman...cues-tier.html

The first comment on the NSMB article really sums up my experience:

Quote:
I really regret going Shimano 12 speed, it's delicate, high maintenance and I don't need the range, a fact constantly drilled into my head by my two other bikes with Shimano 11s, which are just plain more enjoyable to use and ride.
A couple years ago I picked up a used wheelset with an XTR microspline hub for a screaming deal and being locked into 12sp has been a bit of a bummer. It's *extremely* sensitive to both derailleur hanger alignment and b-tension.

Originally I had a full XT setup and was experiencing classic symptoms of too much housing friction, which I chalked up to the nature of my frame's cable routing. I switched to GX AXS w/ the Shimano cassette and chain and my problems were solved. However, I found that Eagle is also very sensitive to hanger alignment and b-tension.

Fast-forward a year and the issues I first experienced with mechanical were still bugging me, so I picked up a cheap Deore shifter & RD combo off of AliExpress for $50. Turns out that I had a bum XT RD and didn't know it. This Deore setup actually works, but still not as smoothly as 11sp.

It's a shame, because Shimano's Hyperglide+ is the real deal and their approach to gear spacing is superior to Eagle (at least until the next gen comes out in an a couple months).

I'm glad that Shimano is offering some wide range 10-11sp options.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
More tiers have been announced:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/shiman...cues-tier.html

I'm glad that Shimano is offering some wide range 10-11sp options.
The new CUES components--cassette options in particular--have me excited. I haven't found any specifics on the cog pitch yet, but assuming it's the same or close to existing HG 11 speed, the overall width of the CUES 9 and 10 speed cassettes should be narrower than your typical 9 and 10 speed cassettes. The upshot for me is that rather than dropping a cog or two from a wide range cassette so I can cram the fattest tires possible in my fat bike, cargo bike and other oddball setups without rubbing the chain on the tire, I may now be able to run a full 9 or 10 cogs without sacrificing gear range.

Regardless, I have long desired some wide range cassette options with fewer cogs just for less shifting to get meaningful gear changes. I'm also curious what this does to the Microspline/HG+ market. I'll say the Deore 5100 11 speed (which it sounds like CUES will replace) I put on my Moxie last summer never had me wishing for more. And although it hasn't performed poorly, the cog spacing on the XT 8100 group I put on my wife's bike awhile back looks like it has no margin for being out of tolerance. So, despite being a longtime XT/XTR guy, I don't ever see myself going to the 12 speed variety. 10 and 11 speed was already super awesome, and the CUES options sound attractive.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:39 PM

For those interested, here's today's NSMB rundown on CUES:

https://nsmb.com/articles/shimano-in...ues-ecosystem/
Old 02-28-2023, 02:46 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The new CUES components--cassette options in particular--have me excited. I haven't found any specifics on the cog pitch yet, but assuming it's the same or close to existing HG 11 speed, the overall width of the CUES 9 and 10 speed cassettes should be narrower than your typical 9 and 10 speed cassettes. The upshot for me is that rather than dropping a cog or two from a wide range cassette so I can cram the fattest tires possible in my fat bike, cargo bike and other oddball setups without rubbing the chain on the tire, I may now be able to run a full 9 or 10 cogs without sacrificing gear range.

Regardless, I have long desired some wide range cassette options with fewer cogs just for less shifting to get meaningful gear changes. I'm also curious what this does to the Microspline/HG+ market. I'll say the Deore 5100 11 speed (which it sounds like CUES will replace) I put on my Moxie last summer never had me wishing for more. And although it hasn't performed poorly, the cog spacing on the XT 8100 group I put on my wife's bike awhile back looks like it has no margin for being out of tolerance. So, despite being a longtime XT/XTR guy, I don't ever see myself going to the 12 speed variety. 10 and 11 speed was already super awesome, and the CUES options sound attractive.
One caveat - in order to use the Linkglide cassettes, you need the LG shifter and derailleur as well - you can't just swap these cassettes into an existing Hyperglide 10 or 11 speed system. Shimano's compatibility chart is here: https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/co...-435&cid=C-432

Standard 10 and 11 speed chains will work, though.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:48 PM
Meh

You know who's going to be really bummed about CUES though? Grant Peterson.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Addendum...seems the spacing is wider with Linkglide. Excitement dampened.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:48 AM
Meh

Barely mentioned in these articles is that these groups return 11 speed Shimano to the old dynasys cable pull ratios, which means a road-bike brifter that will shift these groups (as well as their new 2x cousins) can’t be far behind. This will be good news for those who like to mix and match their “garvel” groups and likely spells the upcoming end for GRX (at least the non-di2 varieties of it).

Discussion of cable pull (and likely discontinuation of Tiagra, Claris, etc mentioned): https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-cues/

Last edited by EB; 03-01-2023 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
You know who's going to be really bummed about CUES though? Grant Peterson.
Why? Seems there are still cable actuated brakes (rim brake compatible)? I thought Grant liked the budget Shimano stuff.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:49 PM

Shimano is also introducing cartridge bearing hubs with Cues. Which I think is great for mid/low end hubs. I hope Shimano keeps cup and cone on the high end.
link
Old 03-01-2023, 02:56 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Why? Seems there are still cable actuated brakes (rim brake compatible)? I thought Grant liked the budget Shimano stuff.
I know he particularly liked the 9 speed Deore stuff, and I can see Riv not loving the move across the board to 11 speed spacing and chains (possibly more fiddly with friction shifters).

Last edited by EB; 03-01-2023 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2023, 03:48 PM

Shimano has been offering training for CUES. The same CUES chain will be used for 9, 10 or 11 speed. You can use current 11 speed chains if you want.
There are also three levels of components. All are disc brake, but they have separate shifters and brake levers.
We asked about STI and bar end shifters and they don't have any date for those.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:57 AM

My only qualm is that the cassettes are HEAVY. I know my racer days are in the past, but I’ve still got some weight weenie in me that has a hard time accepting a *780* gram cassette. I thought I was insane for buying a 430 gram XT 11-42, but the link guide stuff is almost 2x as much.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:03 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
You have my attention Shimano. After falling out of love with Shimano’s 12 speed mountain bike drivetrains, this might be the ticket back. And yes…. It’s really f’ing heavy and only has 11 (or 10) speeds. Who cares!

https://nsmb.com/articles/gambling-o...nkglide-m8130/h
This is interesting..I've never been much of a MTB-er but have talked to a lot who are and have wrenched on a lot of MTBs. AND, BITD, when shimano 'went to 9s' on MTB stuff and again, when they 'went to 10, then to 11, then to 12s', a LOT of hard core MTB people opted for the lesser cogs...for durability, less finicky-ness, longevity..when bashing thru the muck and mire.

Not a fan of lack or intercompatibility with CUE(just skimmed the article), but there is probably more than shimano will admit..cuz they want to sell new stuff.

I think this is shimano trying to put the hurt on sram OEM sales for that middle' price point market.