Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2023, 07:18 PM

2020 Madone SL question

Been looking at getting another go fast bike to add to go along with my Open Wi.De. While not something I would seek out someone in our riding group has a 2020 Madone SL6 at an absolute steal of a deal. I picked it up this evening and I’m going to take it on a 60 mile group ride tomorrow. Now Trek says 28’s is the biggest tire it will fit and I’m fine with that. I put my Zipp 303S’s on there with 32’s as I want to see how it rides with them over the Bontrager ( carbon over aluminum) wheels that are on it now. Any one have any experience with these bikes or know the rule of thumb for acceptable clearance needed to be deemed good ?
Old 02-24-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
Been looking at getting another go fast bike to add to go along with my Open Wi.De. While not something I would seek out someone in our riding group has a 2020 Madone SL6 at an absolute steal of a deal. I picked it up this evening and I’m going to take it on a 60 mile group ride tomorrow. Now Trek says 28’s is the biggest tire it will fit and I’m fine with that. I put my Zipp 303S’s on there with 32’s as I want to see how it rides with them over the Bontrager ( carbon over aluminum) wheels that are on it now. Any one have any experience with these bikes or know the rule of thumb for acceptable clearance needed to be deemed good ?
it's a road bike, a couple mm is all you need. Make sure you have the room height wise. (fork and seat tube) for those small road pebbles.. 28 max usually means 30 but 32 is possible with rim combos.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:36 PM

Its a good bike but, but be sure you have adequate clearance. The Madone is a race bike and 28's should be plenty big for the purpose, while still providing adequate comfort.

If you want to run 32's, I would look at the Domane. The Emonda might be fine with 32s also. But for fast group rides where you intend on doing your fair share of pulling with the Madone, the 28s are plenty fast and almost foolproof insurance you won't get dropped...not by the bike anyway.

Last edited by rnhood; 02-24-2023 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:42 PM

I have a 2020 Madone SLR - you can probably fit 30mm tires max comfortably. 32mm will be tight and will depend on tire/rim combo.

They are very good bikes (mine is 17.1 lbs with pedals/cages and mechanical Ultegra) that are fun to ride. Because of how aero they are, they really hold speed well in group rides.

Enjoy...
Old 02-24-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Its a good bike but, but be sure you have adequate clearance. The Madone is a race bike and 28's should be plenty big for the purpose, while still providing adequate comfort.

If you want to run 32's, I would look at the Domane. The Emonda might be fine with 32s also. But for fast group rides where you intend on doing your fair share of pulling with the Madone, the 28s are plenty fast and almost foolproof insurance you won't get dropped...not by the bike anyway.

Maybe I wasn't clear but im.just test riding it and I have 32's on one set of my Zilpps. Just wanted ro get a feel of the bike with the lighter wheels. If I get it I'll snag some 28's for sure.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I have a 2020 Madone SLR - you can probably fit 30mm tires max comfortably. 32mm will be tight and will depend on tire/rim combo.

They are very good bikes (mine is 17.1 lbs with pedals/cages and mechanical Ultegra) that are fun to ride. Because of how aero they are, they really hold speed well in group rides.

Enjoy...
I've heard and read several times while researching this bike that it is phenomenal with holding speed. Will find out tomorrow
Old 02-24-2023, 07:51 PM

Trek's clearance recommendations are usually pretty large. IIRC, they spec a 6mm nominal clearance for the largest recommended size - at least that's what they did for the new Emonda. Meaning that 28mm max tire should should have 6mm of clearance at it's tightest point.

In practice 30c fit fine and I've had customer bikes with them. Depending on the tire and rim, a 32 might fit, but IMO would be pushing it, particularly if it's a flexy wheel, or your are a bigger or more powerful rider.

If it was my bike, I'd be game for the experiment, but being a borrow bike, I'd put some 28's on your zipps to get a feel for the carbon wheel. **Edit - I misread your post, I thought you were borrowing it - saw you bought it** In that case - maybe try a few miles with the 32's and see how it goes.

That Madone isn't the most comfortable bike I've ridden, but it's better than pretty much any other similarly aero bike of it's generation that I've been on and is very fast. Carbon rims and a 28 or 30c tires should ride very nice.

Last edited by batman1425; 02-24-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Trek's clearance recommendations are usually pretty large. IIRC, they spec a 6mm nominal clearance for the largest recommended size - at least that's what they did for the new Emonda. Meaning that 28mm max tire should should have 6mm of clearance at it's tightest point.

In practice 30c fit fine and I've had customer bikes with them. Depending on the tire and rim, a 32 might fit, but IMO would be pushing it, particularly if it's a flexy wheel, or your are a bigger or more powerful rider.

If it was my bike, I'd be game for the experiment, but being a borrow bike, I'd put some 28's on your zipps to get a feel for the carbon wheel. **Edit - I misread your post, I thought you were borrowing it - saw you bought it** In that case - maybe try a few miles with the 32's and see how it goes.

That Madone isn't the most comfortable bike I've ridden, but it's better than pretty much any other similarly aero bike of it's generation that I've been on and is very fast. Carbon rims and a 28 or 30c tires should ride very nice.
Sorry if I mistyped but I am borrowing it to see if I'm interested in buying. The only real thing giving me pause is the issues people are saying they have with the isospeed.. Of course I don't have any idea what percentage of the bikes the people online represent of total bikes sold.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Sorry if I mistyped but I am borrowing it to see if I'm interested in buying. The only real thing giving me pause is the issues people are saying they have with the isospeed.. Of course I don't have any idea what percentage of the bikes the people online represent of total bikes sold.
Gotcha. Just to avoid a possible frame rub situation and return to the owner with some marks on the frame, I might downsize for the test ride.

What are you hearing about the Isospeed? We didn't see a whole lot of service related issues.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Gotcha. Just to avoid a possible frame rub situation and return to the owner with some marks on the frame, I might downsize for the test ride.

What are you hearing about the Isospeed? We didn't see a whole lot of service related issues.
Isospeed coupler bolt loosing and having to be tighten constantly. Eventually the coupler cracks
Old 02-25-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Isospeed coupler bolt loosing and having to be tighten constantly. Eventually the coupler cracks
My LBS is solely a Trek dealer whom I really trust. They told me the ISO issues were due to heavy riders (>200 lbs) - probably too much pressure particularly after hitting a hole. Trek has been good about replacing/fixing but for a while there was the parts shortage.

I'm 175 lbs and have not had any issues. The new Madone got rid of the ISO to reduce weight and the new Domane has a rear ISO that is not adjustable (very few ever adjusted the setting) and got rid of the front one, which also reduced weight.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
My LBS is solely a Trek dealer whom I really trust. They told me the ISO issues were due to heavy riders (>200 lbs) - probably too much pressure particularly after hitting a hole. Trek has been good about replacing/fixing but for a while there was the parts shortage.

I'm 175 lbs and have not had any issues. The new Madone got rid of the ISO to reduce weight and the new Domane has a rear ISO that is not adjustable (very few ever adjusted the setting) and got rid of the front one, which also reduced weight.
Good to hear. I'm 160 lbs so hopefully if I buy it I'll have no issues. First ride on it in an hour. Will see how it performs
Old 02-25-2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Good to hear. I'm 160 lbs so hopefully if I buy it I'll have no issues. First ride on it in an hour. Will see how it performs
Yes it's def an issue mostly isolated to heavy and aggressive riders and racers. Great riding bikes 🚴🏽 no on the 32s 😘
Old 02-25-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Yes it's def an issue mostly isolated to heavy and aggressive riders and racers. Great riding bikes 🚴🏽 no on the 32s 😘
After riding the Madone today I’m sticking to my Emonda
Old 02-25-2023, 07:40 PM

Quote:
After riding the Madone today I’m sticking to my Emonda
Me too!