Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2023, 03:52 AM

Here's a copy of the internal routing detail from the Shimano manual and the header page for the Shimano manual so folks can reference exactly where to find it if they ever need it.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:57 AM

While it’s a weird spot, I doubt you’ll run into issues. I’ve never seen a cable port in the BB shell, do pictures of the builders other di2 bikes show that? It seems almost like they forgot to add it, or the frame was initially slated for an etap bike, and they scrambled to place one.

If you keep it, I would just slap clear frame protector tape to hold it in place and protect it.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
While it’s a weird spot, I doubt you’ll run into issues. I’ve never seen a cable port in the BB shell, do pictures of the builders other di2 bikes show that? It seems almost like they forgot to add it, or the frame was initially slated for an etap bike, and they scrambled to place one.
If the builder forgot to add the hole until after the bike went to paint, the BB shell would be the place to add it. A drilled hole in the seat tube ought to be reinforced, and brazing on a reinforcement would ruin the paint, but the BB shell is thick enough that he could just drill it after paint and it would be fine.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:17 AM

Thanks to G for the more detailed Shimano reference. And to others for additional comments.

The last couple sum it up. Some tape or zip ties will allow it to work. But don't see that as acceptable on a very expensive + long awaited custom frame spec-ed to be built to support Di2. Hopeful these tech references will help me make my case to builder + LBS/importer.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:24 AM

This doesn't sound like this builders first Di2 frame, where did they put the holes on previous frame builds?

Maybe save the rest of us, please, these discussions that leave the rest of us in the dark are troubling.
Old 02-24-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Some tape or zip ties will allow it to work. But don't see that as acceptable on a very expensive + long awaited custom frame spec-ed to be built to support Di2.
I completely agree with you. Once you get to a certain level with custom bikes, aesthetics play a big part. Putting a zip tie on is ridiculous.
Old 02-24-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
I completely agree with you. Once you get to a certain level with custom bikes, aesthetics play a big part. Putting a zip tie on is ridiculous.
Second this ^
Old 02-24-2023, 02:50 PM

Here are some images from the 2023-2024 document ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimensions_bb.jpg (56.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg dimensions_dt.jpg (92.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg dimensions_stct.jpg (119.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 02-25-2023, 06:49 AM

Update. The frame builder replied. No explanation why they did it this way but did provide a pic of another frame with the same treatment showing the wire. Is run like a traditional mechanical front derailleur connection. Perhaps to create a traditional aesthetic? Anticipating the question, this is Di2, I zoomed so as not to show identifying info while this process plays out.

I don't know what to think.

Old 02-25-2023, 07:09 AM

One quick question... what are you looking for as a resolution? If you're looking to back out of the bike as a whole, I would reference the Shimano document and let them know that it's not as per the design of the system, if you're looking for an out. That's just a stupid placement, and there's much more wire exposed than if it were drilled as per Shimano. Since the e-tube wire connects on the back of the derailleur, it's not even going to be a straight run up the seat tube, it's going to be a loose, flopping second thought.

If you're wanting a fix, it's as simple as drilling the seat tube, which is easy since it's carbon. However, that sure is a stupid way that the builder did things, and it almost seems like they're too lazy to do anything else other than a Di2 retrofit.

Edit: you really should name the builder so those who are interested can do a deep dive of pictures of their other bikes. I'd bet that they never show this angle because everyone who inquired about one of their frames would make note of it, and it'd be interesting to see what their other builds look like. And how many Di2 bikes have they done?

Another edit: is it carbon? Looking at the bottom bracket junction, I assumed it was.

Last edited by Blown Reek; 02-25-2023 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:08 AM

Yeah this seems rather odd.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:15 AM

Naming the builder is 100% going to burn the bridge if he hopes for peaceful resolution IMO.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Update. The frame builder replied. No explanation why they did it this way but did provide a pic of another frame with the same treatment showing the wire. Is run like a traditional mechanical front derailleur connection. Perhaps to create a traditional aesthetic? Anticipating the question, this is Di2, I zoomed so as not to show identifying info while this process plays out.

I don't know what to think.

That's shiite.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
Naming the builder is 100% going to burn the bridge if he hopes for peaceful resolution IMO.
Perhaps. But a disputed charge for something as expensive as a custom bicycle that's not built for the parts it was designed for is always the last resort. I mean, how bummed would you be if you really wanted something like a Pegoretti, waited for years, only to have some nonsense like this happen?

And now they're saying "See, we've done this before. Look at this one picture that you can barely see what we're talking about. Everything's just fine." Even though zero other bikes have this "design feature" and it's even outside the scope of the parts manufacturer's specifications, to which the bike was built and spec'd.

Refund is one thing. Trying to get a few bucks knocked off is another thing. Either deal with the "artist's" zip tie solution (which would pair nicely with that custom paint job) and be forever bummed, get your money back because that's just bullsiht, or try to get a few bucks back and forever see the zip tie as a reminder of your lack of stoke.

The OP is in a bad position, but what the framebuilder is doing is inexcusable. It's one thing going into it knowing that you're going to get quirky front brake stop locations in strange positions 'cause that's what the builder is known for, but it's another thing to get a custom bike back and be like "what the fcuk is this?".

My guess is that the builder doesn't do many electronic shifting systems at all, and their lack of forethought is this result. I'd be bummed. But argue with "the master" and be happy that you're getting one of their bikes. I bet that much more time was spent on discussing the paint job than location of Di2 ports, because who thinks a Di2 port is going to be in the wrong place?

But like I said earlier, when you get to a certain level of custom, aesthetics is a big part and people really like their paint jobs.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:47 AM

While I don’t disagree, I would for sure be annoyed and building a custom bike I don’t think I’d ever have thought I needed to ask “where does the cable come out?” At the same time there is nothing against Shimano specs on that. It says clear as day they are leaving placement to the discretion of the builder, it doesn’t say only “XXmm of cable should be exposed” or anything like that. So claiming it’s outside the specs isn’t really a logical argument.

I don’t know what the answer is, I don’t know how you could file a charge back over something like that. They didn’t misrepresent or not deliver. I would say unfortunately it likely falls in the buyer for not doing due diligence, regardless of whether this was something we ever thought needed done.

Last edited by Kyle h; 02-25-2023 at 08:49 AM.