Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2023, 10:58 AM

Drivetrain options - Campy 8 sp Record, need lower gearing

Again I've stumbled into my ignorance of all things Campy. Here's the situation:

Bike: Serotta CSI.
I ride in hilly terrain (I average 200,000+ feet each year, 72 year old legs), and have a Record 2x8 drivetrain. Chainrings are 53-39 (just replaced a 42 for the 39), and cassette is Miche 13-28 (again, new install from 11-23). To keep my normal uphill cadence, the 39-28 combo just doesn't cut it, I need a lower gearing. Right now I'm at 36.6 gear inches or so. I need a sub-30. With the 13-28 cassette that would be a 30t small ring, and no workie with 53t large ring.

As I see it (through my Campy ingnorance fog), I have these options:
1. Drop big bucks on a Campy triple setup - don't want to be spendy though.
2. Find a magical Campy 30-something ring, and 'easier' cassette (no luck there!)
3. Replace the crankset with a compact non-Campy one, maybe a 2x with 24, 26, 28t small ring - but - will the Record front shifter/derailleur be OK (it has multiple 'clicks' so can move the cage incrementally)
4. Sell the Record set, and install a {shudder} Shimano drivetrain (like a 9 speed - I've got an Ultegra setup already).

I'm thinking that option 3 or 4 might be the way to go. I do all my wrenching and wheel building, so not worried about the labor.

Really appreciate info from those who have done something similar, or have insight into all things Campy.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:01 AM

I just swapped in a subcompact on my SRAM drivetrain and it works great. That would be the route I'd go in your case - either compact 50/34 or subcompact. My existing FD had no issue with the new smaller rings and shifting. Or at least, it hasn't yet...

Having abandoned 52/39 a decade ago myself and with much younger legs, I salute your perseverence with those gears!

Re-reading, it looks like subcompact is what you want. Something like a 46/30 would work nicely - Velo Orange 50.4 bcd or somebody else's version (White industries, Rene Herse, I think there's a Soma / New Albion version). All square taper AFAIK. Or a triple with only the middle and inner ring is a popular way to solve this, but finding the right spindle length might be hit or miss.

Last edited by tellyho; 02-21-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:34 AM

I see nothing wrong with a triple for use you are describing. Centaurs, Comp Triple cranks easy to find. Takes Centaur (or equivalent) 111 ISO BB. Easy to find. You would need at least a Campy mid cage RD. And a Campy triple front. Easy to find. Your shifters will shift that. That combo works great, shifts great. Have it in 10 speed on one of my bikes. I see no reason to convert to a double.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:51 AM

Yep, I vote for a triple setup also. I think a quick search on Ebay should find the needed parts easily enough. I just put an 8-speed setup on the Motta this weekend. Seems like the front Ergo-lever pulls a lot of cable so I'm thinking it may work a triple FD.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:29 PM

As above, the gear range on a Campagnolo 2x8 system is quite limited. A short cage 8spd derailleur has a relatively small capacity and a limited maximum sprocket size, so even if you could find a wider range cassette the derailleur wouldn't be able to handle it. Even if you used a Road Link to extend the maximum sprocket, the derailleur would still not have the capacity to take up the chain slack. For a wider range of gearing with strictly Campagnolo 8spd components, you'd have to go with a triple. That would require new front and rear derailleurs, new crank*, and new bottom bracket.

Another option to extend your gearing would be modern compact or sub-compact crank. However, due to the rear derailleur capacity, you'd be limited in the chainring differential. With a small inner chainring you'd have to reduce the size of the outer chainring as well, resulting in a much smaller maximum gear size. You could extend the chainring differential by swapping to a long cage derailleur. (Your existing front derailleur would work just fine with a compact crank, and maybe even a sub-compact, depending on the chainring sizes.)

*For a triple setup, you may not need an entirely new crank, if you used a triplizer chainring. A Triplizer chainring is a chainring that takes the place of the inner chainring of a double crank, and has mounting arms to bolt a 3rd chainring to the inside. You'd still need a longer bottom bracket spindle to correct the chainline however.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Unpopular; unsolicited advice: At 72 YO; sell all that ancient stuff and buy a modern subcompact Chorus 12 setup and never look back. Why spend your golden years of cycling on cobbled together sub optimal gears?
Old 02-21-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Unpopular; unsolicited advice: At 72 YO; sell all that ancient stuff and buy a modern subcompact Chorus 12 setup and never look back. Why spend your golden years of cycling on cobbled together sub optimal gears?
Gotta agree with Angry. I finally abandoned 3x9 setups with barcons and crossed to the dark side of STI 2x11 with compact 46-34 on the Firefly road bike, and subcompact 44-28 on the Bingham and now Habanero, all with the 11-34 cassette.

Oh, and in another thread here, we see that a whole Shimano R8000 groupset, rim brake, mechanical, is obtainable from the UK at about $630!
Old 02-21-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
But Campagnolo 8spd is a classic! It's a pinnacle of cycling tradition! I mean, there's a good reason to maintain traditions, right? The whole purpose of tradition is ... umm ... well ... it's traditional! Heck, without a framework of tradition to hold us up, all that would be left are things like progress, modernity, utility, and practicality. And where would we be then?
Old 02-21-2023, 01:03 PM
#RYFB

FWIW, when I faced a similar challenge (albeit a Nuovo Record 52/42 crankset), I found a Veloce compact crankset and Chorus 10 shift group with a mid cage RD and a 12-30 cassette. That gave me a low gear of 34-30 which is sufficient for even the steeper stuff I encounter. But none of that stuff is easy to find (especially the crankset) and it ain't cheap.

Were I facing the same conundrum today I'd do like Angry says and buy a subcompact Chorus 12 crankset and shift group. It would probably be only a bit more money.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Snip That gave me a low gear of 34-30 which is sufficient for even the steeper stuff I encounter.
Uh huh, this coming from the guy who climbs 1,000,000 feet of elevation in a year!
Old 02-21-2023, 04:17 PM

Campy 8 speed works really, really well. If you keep the current short cage RD, you’ll be able to to get a 50-34 compact crank to work fine with it. I rode my Merckx Century with this setup today. My Heron touring bike uses a 46-30 IRD crank with a long cage Racing Triple RD on a stock cassette. I am contemplating cobbling a wider range cassette as I have been pushed to my physical limits on occasion riding the bike loaded up some double digit grades. The Racing Triple crank is 52-42-30, but you’d still need the long cage RD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10BAC4AE-0F70-440F-BC17-F7D751C7A5F9.jpg (149.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 80D4913C-771A-4BF5-BF74-A00784766680.jpg (126.2 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-22-2023, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Again I've stumbled into my ignorance of all things Campy. Here's the situation:

Bike: Serotta CSI.
I ride in hilly terrain (I average 200,000+ feet each year, 72 year old legs), and have a Record 2x8 drivetrain. Chainrings are 53-39 (just replaced a 42 for the 39), and cassette is Miche 13-28 (again, new install from 11-23). To keep my normal uphill cadence, the 39-28 combo just doesn't cut it, I need a lower gearing. Right now I'm at 36.6 gear inches or so. I need a sub-30. With the 13-28 cassette that would be a 30t small ring, and no workie with 53t large ring.

As I see it (through my Campy ingnorance fog), I have these options:
1. Drop big bucks on a Campy triple setup - don't want to be spendy though.
2. Find a magical Campy 30-something ring, and 'easier' cassette (no luck there!)
3. Replace the crankset with a compact non-Campy one, maybe a 2x with 24, 26, 28t small ring - but - will the Record front shifter/derailleur be OK (it has multiple 'clicks' so can move the cage incrementally)
4. Sell the Record set, and install a {shudder} Shimano drivetrain (like a 9 speed - I've got an Ultegra setup already).

I'm thinking that option 3 or 4 might be the way to go. I do all my wrenching and wheel building, so not worried about the labor.

Really appreciate info from those who have done something similar, or have insight into all things Campy.
Number 3 and the front der will be fine. A option is to find a triple crank/BB combo..Use track(short) CR bolts and mount a single ring in middle position(no big ring) and then as small as ya want, small ring for the probably 74mm BCD small ring.

Or a Campag compact for a 34t small ring.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:44 AM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Shimano 8sd is 'classic' now NOT ancient.
A friction DT shifted Campy NR with a 5sd freewheel has now finally made it to ancient!
(and both still very enjoyable to ride)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:54 AM

You could use a cable-travel adapter that will allow use of 8s Shimano 12-32t cogset and rear derailer, but then will also need a Shimano-style rear freehub I suppose.
You might get around the latter requirement by using an appropriately large (again thinking 12-32t) Miche 8s cassette(?).

You can re-brand certain of Shimano's MTB rear derailers using an appropriate sticker:

Last edited by dddd; 02-22-2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:24 PM

I have to agree with Angry....

I have gone to Chorus 12 on a couple of my old classics. I use a White Industries VBC square taper crank with it. I am running a 30/50 and an 11-34 rear.

Pretty much covers it all...

Last edited by Scott5182; 02-22-2023 at 02:33 PM.