Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2022, 12:53 PM

Ultra-Endurance Race Hydration/fueling. What's your preference?

For those who do events that are 6+ hours, what's your own preference for hydration and fueling? I'm mainly thinking about drink mixes, but any personal experiences (good or bad) for gels or regular foods would be welcomed advice as well.

I have 2 (maybe 3) 100+ mile events in the early spring. In the past I have tried eating "normal fondo food stop" type foods including cookies (NOT GOOD FOR ME) and small sandwiches.

So, anyone have good or bad advice on:
  • SIS Beta Fuel
  • Tailwind
  • Infinit Endurance
  • something else?
Old 12-19-2022, 01:13 PM
Administrator

One tip would be to find out what nutrition/supplements will be available at the event aid stations and experiment with them early to see if they will work for you or you need to bring your own.

For me, this depends a LOT on what the expected temps will be. I have to switch things up if i'm sweating buckets vs a much cooler ride for example.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
One tip would be to find out what nutrition/supplements will be available at the event aid stations and experiment with them early to see if they will work for you or you need to bring your own.

For me, this depends a LOT on what the expected temps will be. I have to switch things up if i'm sweating buckets vs a much cooler ride for example.
Good ideas. I'm not opposed to carrying a half dozen baggies of mix if I have to though.

Events are March 10th and April 1st so far. I'm going to try to get into Rule of 3 also, which will be mid-May. I would say temps will be cold-to-cool at most.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:26 PM

For most 100 mile plus road or gravel events or 100K mountain where I have been out for the duration you describe, I personally need real food. Yogurt base in the morning before coffee and a foil wrapped home made breakfast sandwich early along with a light chicken sandwich or something for lunch. The long fibers in bananas I have learned are a no go at least for me. Fig Newtons, Nuts and snacks as needed. At least one bottle of regular water and one with preferred electrolytes.

I have found what works best for me is sticking to things that are already a part of my regular diet when I am pushing it.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:06 PM

Know what kind of fuel your body runs on and go from there. I ride a half dozen or so century events per year with a moving average around six hours and at 71 you’ve got to pay attention to what goes in the tank. Have made enough mistakes in the past that I know what works and to stay away from anything that might not keep me going comfortably.

Personally, I start out with a toasted bagel with PBJ about a half hour before the start. Complex carbs and protein give me enough go power for the first 30-35 miles. Fig bars, dates, nuts, similar stuff (NOT sweets or cookies) at the rest stop combined with Jelly Belly Sport Beans generally get me thru the rest of the ride. If the legs start to feel soft around the 80 mile mark, I’ll use a high caffeine GU gel. Have never been one to eat a sandwich other than a PBJ mid-ride, but know many who do.

Hydration is one bottle of water and one of NUUN mix, usually the mango caffeine flavor. Two 23 oz bottles will get me thru 30 to 40 miles based on how hot it is. The warmer the temp, the more important it is for me to use lots of ICE in the fluid, helps keep the body temp down and to me is more refreshing.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:14 PM

On a century+ I try to stick to regular food as long as possible and hit the gels once I'm starting to really feel the fatigue. A few times that I've turned to sugar early were hard on my stomach and felt like my energy levels were very inconsistent. That being said, I'm sold on sis beta fuel and skratch superfuel in my bottles all throughout the ride. Superfuel is amazing at keeping cramps down.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:29 PM

Been a long time since I have done that kind of distance, but when I did almond butter and jelly on WW bread was my fuel of choice.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:34 PM

I really like Hammer Perpetuem. It's easy, and works for me indefinitely. Cafe latte is my preferred flavor - no fruity flavors. I don't often ride more than 4 hours, but when I have, it's been great. I buy a jug a year, and it's my main fuel source for long rides.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:58 PM

+1 Hammer Perpetuem.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:43 PM

my advice

For long gravel and mountain bike races/events, I prefer a mix of liquid fuels, gels and real food. I've had good luck with Tailwind mixed in the recommended proportions, add the occasional caffeinated gel and a handful or two of my own trailmix at aid stations. The trailmix adds some real food (nuts, mini pretzels, etc.) without filling me up. The Tailwind covers the carbs and electrolytes. the gel adds some carbs plus caffeine to wake me up. I'll add the occasional lara or clif bar too. If it's going to be hot I'll rely more on liquid fuel and cut back on the solid fuel.

I think the key (obviously) is to get enough calories per hour ( I shoot for about 250-275 cal/hr) that you don't run out of energy but not so much that you get bloated or stomach distress. It does take some practice to figure this stuff out. I've been doing the endurance thing for about 20 years and this is what has worked for me.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:14 PM

Im a huge fan of Skratch Superfuel. 400 calories per bottle. I shoot for around 400cal per hour. So ill carry 2 bottles, 800 calories. Depending on the course and aid stations I will add some SIS gels into the mix. I can pretty much push 4 hours on 2 bottles and 4 gels before needing to stop. For gravel races, I will bring 2 small bottles and a small 50oz fox pack. 4 total servings of superfuel on board. 6hr MTB I have 2 small packs I will have all mixed and ready to go, dump the empty one, strap on the fresh one when needed. Superfuel really changed the way I feel when I race, no stomach issues at all, the flavor isn't overpowering, no bonking, and I'm not eating the entire fridge when I get done with a race.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:21 PM

I wish vbulliten had a "like" or thumbs up function, so I could Like all these responses so far.

Thank you all for the ideas, keep them coming.

I'll be trying out SIS Beta and probably the Skratch stuff pretty soon. I'm not opposed to some more solid food, but get indigestion very quickly and I already know I can't do peanut butter during any type of effort. Last year I totally burnt myself out on Fig Newtons and I don't think I've eaten one at ALL in 9 months.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:28 PM

I dont race or do ultra-cycling these days but your post was exactly what I experienced when I did. In 100 plus mile rides sugar was horrible on my stomach too.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:21 PM

I am really liking Infinit, though I just started using their mix a few weeks ago. I saw some nutritionist interviewed about how their ratios were good and they offered a military discount. Also, I like eating dried dates along longer rides and before swimming. Buy them at Costco.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:53 PM

Those products are awfully expensive. You can just buy Maltodextrin powder and make your own. That is a what a friend of mine did when he hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail.

https://www.roadbikerider.com/diy-ma...-energy-drink/