Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2023, 06:16 PM

I didn't realize there were a gazillion thru axles

Hoping to pick up a Habanero frame next week and they've been super responsive. The latest thing I have learned is that thru axles come in many different varieties (I know, musta missed the memo). The TA I'm supposed to be looking for is:
- between 166 and 172mm long
- thread pitch 1.5mm
- thread length 20mm

I'm kinda hoping to not spend $50 on a TA so I went looking and I see there is a Maxle product that is 170.5mm in length with the 1.5mm pitch, but its thread length is 14mm. How could I tell if this would work? It seems to me that a 166mm long TA would need more thread length than a 172mm long TA.

The TA on my Bingham (Robert Axle project) says 167-172mm, and is fitted with a 5mm washer/spacer, so I'm guessing that the correct length is 167mm.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:24 PM

Hah! I learned about this too a bit back. Welcome to the world of pitches, the length of pitches, and the length of the thru axle.

BTW, I just buy my thru axles on ebay. They are light weight, no name brand and cost $15 to $40. The $40 one are from a company called "Hardlite" and come in pretty anodized colors.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:43 PM

Yeah, we have people come in looking for replacement that end up leaving empty handed because they have something we can't get. Guy came in recently and said he lost his rear TA and had to order from the EU, ended up being without his bike for weeks.

No thanks, make mine QR.

This was buy of the year at our shop saves a huge amount of time
Old 01-31-2023, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonrobot View Post
Yeah, we have people come in looking for replacement that end up leaving empty handed because they have something we can't get. Guy came in recently and said he lost his rear TA and had to order from the EU, ended up being without his bike for weeks.

No thanks, make mine QR.

This was buy of the year at our shop saves a huge amount of time
Where do I get that?
Old 01-31-2023, 06:50 PM
Administrator

yea, that gizmo above looks like a 2023 shop must-have. forget wasting time on the net looking up specs, a quick check for sure, but use a gentle hand threading it in!
Old 01-31-2023, 06:56 PM

https://pilo.co.il/thread-star-rear-...dentifier.html
Old 01-31-2023, 07:04 PM

The bike companies take great relish in making completely proprietary interfaces. They seem to make this their reason for living. For quite a while, they got their jollies on making up different bottom bracket standards on an annual basis. But users finally revolted, forcing the bike companies to narrow down to just a few standards. And, as it turns out, customers forced their hand to go back to using threaded bottom brackets as well.

In a spiteful mood, the bike companies thought to themselves, "so, they want threaded interfaces, do they? Well then, that's what we'll give them! We'll give them so many different non-interchangeable threaded thru axles, their heads will spin!"

And so it came to pass that each bike company came up with their own threaded thru axles. First they lulled the users into thinking that hubs and axles are interchangeable, by all talking about the using same the standard set of axle "sizes", like 142x12 and 100x12. But then they zinged the users by making frames that use different thru axle threads and head shapes, often several varieties from the same company for the same basic axle size, all non-interchangeable. "Ha," the bike companies thought, "We've got them over a barrel now!"

But just as the users thought they had to give up and submit, they looked up and saw on the horizon ...

Was it?

Could it be?

Yes it is! Just in time to save us!

It's our hero Robert, to save us from this axle misery! He and his axle project have saved the day!
Old 01-31-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Snip

It's our hero Robert, to save us from this axle misery! He and his axle project have saved the day!
Alas, even Sir Robert does not tell us the thread length on his products, more's the pity….
Old 01-31-2023, 07:21 PM
Meh

FWIW I’m kind of surprised Habanero isn’t including this with your frame. I definitely consider this a part of a frameset - without one, the frameset is incomplete.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:23 PM

this is me the other day thinking my left over thru axles from my other frame could be used on another frame
Old 01-31-2023, 07:27 PM

I was talking with Cat about Habanero frames last year and they had thru axles. She mentioned that they were Shimano. I ended up going with another bike but she was great to work with. It would be easier just getting them from Hab.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:29 PM

Maybe the person who invented thru axles was once a plumber.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:46 PM

Will the thread star also cut threads an axle?
Just asking because it the link above it states that it is a thread identifier and not a thread cutter.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
I was talking with Cat about Habanero frames last year and they had thru axles. She mentioned that they were Shimano. I ended up going with another bike but she was great to work with. It would be easier just getting them from Hab.
You're exactly right. They typically use Shimano which have a built in lever and I prefer a bolt on type. I've emailed them to inquire if the Maxle I mentioned above will work despite the shorter thread length.

And Cat has been great for sure!
Old 01-31-2023, 07:56 PM

Great... I'm looking to replace the ENVE TA with DT’s RWS. Any idea which one would be compatible? Do I need to but a washer/spacer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk