Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I bet, my 25 mg. takes 20 BPM off the top for me and it is like missing a cylinder on hills. A double dose I imagine lowers your max HR +more.
Me, too. I was on ~25mg Metaprolol for a slight arrhymia some years ago. Lasted about a month. Felt like I was dragging a boat anchor on the flats. Felt like I was hauling the whole derned tanker on the hills.....Not for me.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Reading some of the recent threads it seems many here suffer from some form of Heart Rhythm problems

I was wondering if anyone here was on antiarrhythmic medication & what that was like if it helped etc?

My sister takes flecainide 50mg twice a day & in her case has never had it reoccur.

I am on no drugs at all but am leery just reading about that particular drug
I can go years without a episode of psvt or PAC',PVC's then get hit twice like this past year

I have also read about a technique called "Pill in the pocket" which sounds interesting
as you only take the medication during an event

https://www.nuemblog.com/blog/pill-in-pocket (using either flecainide or propafenone in this case)

But have heard good & bad reports as it sometimes made things worse? (using Flecainide in this case)
https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacep.2022.07.010

Anyway just wondering if anyone has tried or had success with these
Pill in a pocket sounds great until your mean arterial pressure drops before the arrhythmia corrects... Having said that, I keep an aspirin with me and take it as a preventative measure if flying. Clearly this is for embolus prevention, not arrhythmia.

Flecainide... That used to be in the ACLS algorithms eons ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Sounds like a visit to the cardiologist is a good idea if you are having sporadic episodes. Don't eat cheese, beans, organ meat or drink red wine if they bring back monoamine oxidase inhibitors That is a throwback to Hannibal giving Clarice a 'hint' that he is not taking his 'medications'.

Wishing you well no matter what you and your doctor decide is best in your situation.

D
Old 02-04-2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Pill in a pocket sounds great until your mean arterial pressure drops before the arrhythmia corrects... Having said that, I keep an aspirin with me and take it as a preventative measure if flying. Clearly this is for embolus prevention, not arrhythmia.

Flecainide... That used to be in the ACLS algorithms eons ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Sounds like a visit to the cardiologist is a good idea if you are having sporadic episodes. Don't eat cheese, beans, organ meat or drink red wine if they bring back monoamine oxidase inhibitors That is a throwback to Hannibal giving Clarice a 'hint' that he is not taking his 'medications'.

Wishing you well no matter what you and your doctor decide is best in your situation.

D

Thanks Deconick

Been visiting cardiologist off & on for 30 years now. None ever found a solution nor a problem really. I use to have prolonged bouts for up to 13 hours non stop. Now it is just these random spikes that last only a second or two each. But this episode has been having hundreds a day for two weeks now

My sister & brother both have similar heart psvt's
My brothers ablation fixed his
My ablation in 2012 kind of helped till now
My sister just takes 50 mg flecainide twice a day no problems for her

Funny she sent me a few the other day & I tried them
After 1 it was 80% better took another 12 hours later & I'm all clear now it seems

I am going to ask my cardio for a script just to have them on hand as I also travel internationally

About diet yes I do not eat any of those things (well some beans in some things) nor drink or smoke

Thank you for the well wishes & good luck to you too!