Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2023, 06:50 PM

E bike for retired lady

Hey I know little about e-bikes, but a friend is helping his mom find one. Decent budget, but I don't know where to start. I think it is for mostly cruising around down, and pedal assist, not completely just an electric scooter. Any advice?
Old 02-10-2023, 07:11 PM

best to know

actual budget and what this person will do with the bike. there are now a zillion options available so gotta narrow down some variables.

Specialized has a whole selection of ebikes to choose from. My Creo is a nearly flawless integration of frameset, motor, and software. Not suggesting it's the right one in your case but Specialized is a good place to look.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...bikes/c/ebikes

Last edited by eddief; 02-10-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 07:20 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

This is none of my business, and I don't know the details of the lady's needs or abilities, but a concern for me would be that going electric, although it may well initially encourage her to ride when otherwise she wouldn't, over time it might limit her improvement and possibly keep her from becoming the cycling equivalent of the "little old lady from Pasadena" (or something like that).

https://youtu.be/fYxPgFUjDpA

Last edited by Louis; 02-10-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
This is none of my business, and I don't know the details of the lady's needs or abilities, but a concern for me would be that going electric, although it may well initially encourage her to ride when otherwise she wouldn't, over time it might limit her improvement and possibly keep her from becoming the cycling equivalent of the "little old lady from Pasadena" (or something like that).

https://youtu.be/fYxPgFUjDpA
If you'd have ridden a modern e-assist bike like a Specialized Creo, a Trek Domane+ or an Alchemy eRonin like mine you wouldn't say that. The three I mentioned and many more like them are nothing like scooters or mopeds. They ride like unassisted bikes, only you have a tailwind (or better) to help you when you want it, and you can get as intense a workout as you want to. Bikes like that aren't going to hold you back or "limit your improvement" (not that a "little old lady" is suddenly going to develop intensely competitive aspirations) at all.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:36 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
If you'd have ridden a modern e-assist bike like a Specialized Creo, a Trek Domane+ or an Alchemy eRonin like mine you wouldn't say that.
I'll gladly admit that I know next to nothing about this bike-assist stuff, so I suppose my bias is based more on my motorcycle riding, where obviously all you need to do is twist your wrist and work the clutch and brakes, which takes some skill and coordination, but little cardio effort.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
If you'd have ridden a modern e-assist bike like a Specialized Creo, a Trek Domane+ or an Alchemy eRonin like mine you wouldn't say that. The three I mentioned and many more like them are nothing like scooters or mopeds. They ride like unassisted bikes, only you have a tailwind (or better) to help you when you want it, and you can get as intense a workout as you want to. Bikes like that aren't going to hold you back or "limit your improvement" (not that a "little old lady" is suddenly going to develop intensely competitive aspirations) at all.
For a rider who's older and a little bit weaker, I think an e-bike could likely have more fitness benefits than a regular bike, because it lets them go further and have more fun, so they do it more.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:49 PM
You still here?

My 70 year old wife got an Aventon Ebike last year and is very happy with it. She got it after 2 failed shoulder replacement surgeries and is now waiting 6 months for a replacement part to be manufactured so her shoulder can be restored.

The bike was shipped directly to our house, I put it together and set it up. It appears to be very well made and thoughtfully designed. The pedal assist works pretty seamlessly and the range is more than adequate for my wife's preferred 50 mile rides.

Aventon was quick to respond to my inquiries and questions. They offer a good variety of models to suit riders of various needs and wants.

Who knows, an Ebike may be in my future!

For you folks that may think that Ebikes are for lazy people or won't let them be a "real cyclist", let me say this: Many of you have heard me call my wife a stud, and she is! 3~5000 miles is her norm on a bike each year. Because of her physical infirmities at present, riding a bike is quite painful for her. The Ebike is an avenue that allows her to pursue her riding passion with relative ease and keeps her in the saddle. Last year she spent several weeks in Belgium and Holland with some of her local girl friends, she on an Ebike and her friends on conventional bikes. She was supremely happy and is considering another Ebike vacation while she recovers from her upcoming surgery. Ebikes are a tool for people to use however they choose. Speculation and conjecture regarding anything else is pure BS.

https://www.aventon.com/?utm_content...SAAEgKukPD_BwE

Last edited by dave thompson; 02-12-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:44 AM

Trek sells step through ebikes, in case this really is just about cruising around.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:05 AM

Electra Townie Go! for cruising around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 7.03.59 AM.jpg (25.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-11-2023, 07:37 AM

Another vote for the Electra Townie. My wife just got one and is really enjoying it. The nicer model comes with the Bosch motor system so service is accessible by many dealers, owned by Trek so lots of dealers for warranty etc.
Easy to get on and off, easy to control.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:40 AM

I am in total love for my Alchemy. That being said, doubt she's interested in custom made all carbon etc etc. My friend down the street has a mid-level Trek hybrid that he rides a lot. Not these cheap, and perhaps if not pressure tested, safe Chinese things coming over. Sure Spec would be comparable. They don't come cheap however so sticker shock may be in order. Mid drive systems, good ones, are so natural feeling.

Honestly, my pain issues, one that Alchemy is hour or two of my day that I am in little pain. Better than the strongest med out there
Old 02-11-2023, 08:06 AM

Shame on me....no coffee yet. Thankfully I never do this at work so since I know nothing about this woman besides that she is retired and is a lady I will add that she might in fact want this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 8.07.49 AM.jpg (26.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 02-11-2023, 08:40 AM

My wife (age 72) rides an Electra Townie. Mid drive. Perfect for her use, cruising the local bike trails. She likes the upright laid back Townie style. My daughter rides an Electra Townie with hub drive. Our experience is the hub drive starts more abruptly than mid drive, but is much easier on chain wear than mid drive.

Both ride about the same just rolling along.

Neither my wife or daughter would be at all interested in the more performance oriented E bikes on the market. They really like the "townie" style.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
My 70 year old wife got an Aventon Ebike last year and is very happy with it.
For you folks that may think that Ebikes are for lazy people or won't let them be a "real cyclist", let me say this: Many of you have heard me call my wife a stud, and she is! 3~5000 miles is her norm on a bike each year. Because of her physical infirmities at present, riding a bike is quite painful for her. The Ebike is an avenue that allows her to pursue her riding passion with relative ease and keeps her in the saddle. Last year she spent several weeks in Belgium and Holland with some of her local girl friends, she on a Ebike and her friends on conventional bikes. She was supremely happy and is considering another Ebike vacation while she recovers from her upcoming surgery. Ebikes are a tool for people to use however they choose. Speculation and conjecture regarding anything else is pure BS.

https://www.aventon.com/?utm_content...SAAEgKukPD_BwE

Simply awesome!
Old 02-11-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
For a rider who's older and a little bit weaker, I think an e-bike could likely have more fitness benefits than a regular bike, because it lets them go further and have more fun, so they do it more.
My colleague at work and her husband use e-bikes for fitness and it’s a great option. She has some cardio health issues and cannot strain herself too much but of course, needs exercise to be healthy. She’s out there rolling around on the streets covering 30km at a time where I bet she could not do 5km on a trad bike.

I am thinking about one for my wife. It’s like I don’t want to admit this this would benefit her, but it would, and she’d ride with the rest of us if she had it