Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2023, 11:37 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

2023 Parise Nice TTT format change [NO spoilers]

Seem the usual X rider over line stopping clock is not being used. Rather each riders time goes to their own GC time. I don't recall seeing this format ever...

Seem like this is just going to support big GC disparities for the top GC contenders, not sure of the point of the change, nor benefit. Why have teams at all.

> Changes [2023 Paris Nice TTT]

Times will be taken individually. This is not the typical team time-trial format in which the team's time is counted on it's fourth of fifth rider crossing the line - with the rest having their individual times taken. Paris-Nice have decided on making changes to this rarely-used discipline.

That is that times will be taken individually. By this I mean that it is that the team's time - when it comes to stage victory - will be taken from the first rider crossing the line. For the GC that means that all 7 riders from one team may have different times on the day which will count.

This means that a "leadout" can be done, non-ironically. The GC leaders will likely have full support of their team here and very likely many will arrive at the finish alone. On the other hand, riders who thrive in the discipline such as Pogacar and Vingegaard will not have to wait for teammates if it were to be the case. Teams have never raced in such a way, and it's likely to bring in some interesting tactics.

Last edited by robt57; 03-08-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:41 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I guess the tactics adjustments should be interesting...
Old 03-08-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Seem like this is just going to support big GC disparities for the top GC contenders, not sure of the point of the change, nor benefit. Why have teams at all.
There were already big disparities between the top GC contenders before. The reason for this change is so that a strong team doesn't dominate the top of the GC list for the first half of the race. The GC list looks more "interesting" or "competitive" if riders top placings are distributed among many teams. But GC list after a traditional TT will often top 7 or so riders all from one team, then then next 7 or riders will be all from another team, and next 7 riders all from a 3rd team, etc. Which makes the GC battle look boring, at least on paper. This also means that there is no chance for the GC lead to change hands during the initial flat stages by the tactical pursuit of time bonuses, also making the GC battle look boring during the first part of a stage race.
Old 03-08-2023, 01:52 PM

If I'm reading this correctly, in the case of Jumbo-Visma, Vingegaard and van Aert sit in for a while, then drop the rest of their team? And then van Aert gives a final lead-out to Vingegaard, who sprints solo for the finish?

Or maybe the line-up is swapped - WvA racers to win, led out by Vingegaard and others, totally buries himself, and Vingegarrd gets the same time? Essentially relying on the strength of the top lieutenant and letting the GC rider off relatively lightly?

(assuming both WvA and Vingegaard are both racing, but the thought applies whoever the strongest two riders happen to be)

I wonder how far from the line the teams split? If it's half-way (or even 3/4 of the distance), it makes for a very non-team TTT.

I'll reserve judgement until it's happens, but sounds like this gives an advantage to teams with an uber-domestique? And hurts teams that might have a strong overall squad, but not really a stand-out 2nd riders?

The normal "5th guy scores" always made sense to me. Teams can have a few weaker riders fall off, but on average, the score reflects the overall strength of the squad.

Last edited by Alistair; 03-08-2023 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I

The normal "5th guy scores" always made sense to me. Teams can have a few weaker riders fall off, but on average, the score reflects the overall strength of the squad.
How is this different from a normal TTT with the typical rules? Imagine you have an 8 man team with the time taken on the 4th rider. You have four engines who hammer the first 90% of the TTT and drag their smaller GC leaders along who then take off in the final 10% and pedal super hard and get a good time. Effectively, how is that any different?

If anything, this new style helps solid GC riders who don't have a strong team for the TTT because they can use their teammates up and then continue on without having to wait on three or four teammates to cross the line with them, giving them the chance to minimize their loss.