Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Someone's going to have to tell me what this means...
Not sure, but I've heard it whispered about in the places between worlds. I was frightened enough to not ask as any questions.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:11 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveronfire View Post
Not sure, but I've heard it whispered about in the places between worlds. I was frightened enough to not ask as any questions.
I think I've found one:

Old 12-09-2022, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Someone's going to have to tell me what this means...
agreed!

Also, what is a GADA? For me every day is a new opportunity to wear a specific watch for specific activities

@whateveronfire, your collection sounds great! I've been looking for an excuse to add a Nomos for a while. I tried on a club recently and was just....heartbroken to find out that it wore as good as it looked!

I just put one of those Forstner "president" style bracelets on my Speedy Pro and I feel like I could go all the way down to a one watch collection if I had to. 38 would be the sweet spot for such a timeless dial.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:51 AM

Here's about 2/3 of my collection.
And my cat.

Rage from Benrus Vietnam reproduction that I got at a church sale ($0.50) to a Panerai GMT (more than $0.50)

All cool in their own way.

https://www.instagram.com/jbinpdx/
Old 12-09-2022, 01:01 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Cool Seiko Pogue! (and lots of other neat stuff too)
Old 12-09-2022, 12:45 PM

Crepas Tornado, a Sandoz Typhoon homage. A fun and gorgeous watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC1F6FEF-2328-45A3-823D-288D206AD591.jpg (58.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 12-09-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
I forgot about the bikes!

Jeff
I bought a Shinola beach cruiser for my wife, made by Waterford.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
My man!!!!! I just ordered myself one (with a band, not a strap) for Christmas, sad as that sounds. It should arrive tomorrow.

I've worn a Seiko 5 every day for the past year and I really like it. Just getting deeper into mechanical watches again. So many great options, and in the sub $1000 price range, it's mind boggling.
That’s funny - I have a Seiko 5 as well, the blue one.

The picture of the STOWA has me looking at their catalog. Very tempting!
Old 12-09-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
agreed!

Also, what is a GADA? For me every day is a new opportunity to wear a specific watch for specific activities
I disagree. Every day is an opportunity to wear multiple watches and/or straps depending on what I am doing.

GADA: Go anywhere and do anything. There is no such watch in my opinion.

Jeff
Old 12-09-2022, 10:13 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Lately my sister and I have been discussing watch options for her. She said that she's tired of having batteries replaced, so I mentioned that they now have solar powered movements. She was interested, so I began sending her links to various options I thought might work for her. (She has zero interest in mechanical.)

Conclusion to the story:

DHL delivered this the other day, fresh off the "boat" from Japan.

I don't think they have any NA based retailers, so I bought it directly from them.
Bonus feature: they offer engraving on the caseback, so I got that too.

https://en.knot-designs.com/collections/titanium-solar

Old 12-09-2022, 11:53 PM

Here is "part" my collection. Only a few have been worn which I noted. A few have been modified/upgraded but never worn which is a shame. (Almost) anything is for sale*. Happy to help someone get started down the rabbit hole of watches.

Top L to R
Seiko SARB035 - modified: sapphire glass with magnifier, Rolex DateJust style bezel, strap but original bracelet (still in plastic included). BNIB
Citizen Promaster Dive Automatic SUPER TITANIUM NB6021-17E - BNIB w/ factory warranty
Seiko SNZH55 - modified: sapphire glass, Fifty "Five" Fathoms dial, strap but original bracelet (still in plastic included). (not for sale - sentimental value)

Middle L to R
Seiko SKX011 - modified: sapphire with ar coating and magnifier, lumed ceramic bezel insert, NE15/6R15 movement upgraded for date and day function, Seiko R02F011J9 silicone strap with metal keepers, Dagaz hands, Crystal Times case (not for sale)
Seiko SKX007 - modified: sapphire with ar coating and magnifier, lumed ceramic bezel insert, NH36/4R35 movement, signed SARB059 crown, Seiko R02F011J9 silicone strap with metal keepers. BNIB
Seiko SKX009 - modified: sapphire with ar coating and magnifier, lumed ceramic bezel insert, NH36/4R35 movement, signed SARB059 crown, Seiko R02F011J9 silicone strap with metal keepers. BNIB

Bottom L to R
Seiko SKX173 - modified: sapphire with ar coating and magnifier, ceramic bezel insert, NE15/6R15 movement upgraded for date and day function, Seiko R02F011J9 silicone strap with metal keepers, Crystal Times case (not for sale)
Oris ProPilot Big Crown Big Date (not for sale)
Oris Aquis Titanium grey dial and strap (Like-New w/ factory warranty)

* This is not an actual sale post which is why I posted here. This was to give the OP a sense of what can be purchased for $1000 or less (except the Oris watches) If anyone is interested in anything let me know because I am always open to move stuff on (and then acquire new ones similar to bikes and bike parts).

Last edited by NYCfixie; 12-09-2022 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
Here is "part" my collection. Only a few have been worn which I noted. A few have been modified/upgraded but never worn which is a shame. (Almost) anything is for sale*. Happy to help someone get started down the rabbit hole of watches.
You and I went down a very similar rabbit hole. At one point I had about 14 Seikos, none of which cost me more than $400 (the Sumos), and most were in the $200 range or lower. Some I have never worn, and once the Garmin Fenix took over my wrist, the Seikos have not seen much love. I'm in the process of figuring out what they are (all bought more than ten years ago, and some modified...) and posting them on Watchuseek.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Lately my sister and I have been discussing watch options for her. She said that she's tired of having batteries replaced, so I mentioned that they now have solar powered movements. She was interested, so I began sending her links to various options I thought might work for her. (She has zero interest in mechanical.)

Conclusion to the story:

DHL delivered this the other day, fresh off the "boat" from Japan.

I don't think they have any NA based retailers, so I bought it directly from them.
Bonus feature: they offer engraving on the caseback, so I got that too.

https://en.knot-designs.com/collections/titanium-solar

I have a Citizen solar watch, "Eco-Drive"..titanium case but proprietary band..not sure those are even available..had it for about a decade. Keeps good time but kinda...I dunno, boring? Compared to my Rolex...HA....
Old 12-10-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart S View Post
A few small brands that I have tried and recommend:

Halios
https://halioswatches.com/

Unimatic
https://www.unimaticwatches.com/

I have a Unimatic U1S-MP that will be for sale soon
https://www.unimaticwatches.com/u1s-mp/
I’ve had a Swiss powered Unimatic U1 for about a year and a half. I really dig it. I am a bracelet guy, but the TPU strap on this model is excellent. Wearing it as I type this.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:23 AM

I got into the whole watch thing earlier this year as well. Ended up getting a Seiko 5, a Boldr, and a Christopher Ward. I probably spent $1k for all three watches.

Tags
braceline, man bracelet