Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 05:46 PM

The Sarb033 is such a classic. Timeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I like the bezel on the aquascape though the case maybe a bit tall.

Three pieces of advice:

1. Go to a watch shop(s) and try things on. It'll give you a better feel for what appeals to you. Don't buy anything but take notes (and wrist pictures) of what you like and do "research" from there.

2. Try to figure out what size watch you like. Watches generally range from 34mm-44mm and the difference between a millimeter or two makes a big difference. Think about the proportion on your wrist, what feels comfortable, and how much attention you would like the watch to attract. This is something to think about when you're looking at watches in person. (I think a watch around 38-40mm is going to last in your collection longer than a 42mm+ dive watch by the way.)

3. I like this website Watchrecon Even if you don't want to buy a used watch, it's a great place to see a ton of different watches and get an idea of what appeals to you. This is another great way to do "research".

If I had $1000 to spend, I would love to pick up 1) a Seiko Sarb033, 2) a Nomos Club, 3) a Unimatic U1 or U2, 4) Sinn 556. These are all specific to my tastes though which is why I prefaced this with more "universal" considerations above.

Good luck in your search! Please link anything you're interested back to this thread--I'm sure you'll get some honest opinions really quickly!
Old 12-07-2022, 05:47 PM

This website sells Japanese mechanical watches…mostly Seiko.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/
Old 12-07-2022, 06:03 PM

I'm not a watch enthusiast really, and all I aspire to is a Tudor Pelagos, which I would then wear every day forever. Maybe my wife will buy it for me soon?

I have a Seiko PADI Turtle that I love. It's probably a $500 watch. It wears great, I've had it in multiple oceans, I've whacked it on a certain bench vise almost every time I walk by. I have it on a leather NATO strap and it's now a dress watch.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboucher View Post
I'd like to buy a new watch. I already have a Garmin for exercise, etc, but I'd like to get something cool/timeless (pun intended) to wear every day.

I like the looks of Shinola watches, though it seems like watch people aren't very impressed with their mechanicals.

Budget is sub 1k ideally, so Richard Mille is out. What should I be looking at?
new new - or new to you.

For 1k you can get some nice used watches - I have had good success purchasing from the following sites:
Chrono24.com, authenticwatches.com and crownandcaliber.com.

I would avoid ebay - but that is just me!
Good luck - post a pic of what you end up getting.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
I like the bezel on the aquascape though the case maybe a bit tall.

Three pieces of advice:

1. Go to a watch shop(s) and try things on. It'll give you a better feel for what appeals to you. Don't buy anything but take notes (and wrist pictures) of what you like and do "research" from there.

2. Try to figure out what size watch you like. Watches generally range from 34mm-44mm and the difference between a millimeter or two makes a big difference. Think about the proportion on your wrist, what feels comfortable, and how much attention you would like the watch to attract. This is something to think about when you're looking at watches in person. (I think a watch around 38-40mm is going to last in your collection longer than a 42mm+ dive watch by the way.)

3. I like this website Watchrecon Even if you don't want to buy a used watch, it's a great place to see a ton of different watches and get an idea of what appeals to you. This is another great way to do "research".

If I had $1000 to spend, I would love to pick up 1) a Seiko Sarb033, 2) a Nomos Club, 3) a Unimatic U1 or U2, 4) Sinn 556. These are all specific to my tastes though which is why I prefaced this with more "universal" considerations above.

Good luck in your search! Please link anything you're interested back to this thread--I'm sure you'll get some honest opinions really quickly!
Above is a good starting list. Just a few add ons:
Point 2 - watch sizing is very subjective, and case diameter only tells some of the story. Best idea is to go to a watch store with a decent selection and try on a few staples which have established sizes/styles/designs so you can compare it to others that might catch your eye. IE, try one chrono, one tool/dive, and one dress/hands only.

Point 3 - Also a good place is Reddit watchexchange. You get a nice idea of what other serious collectors are enthusiastic about, and they'll be able to comment on certain watches which you might not hear of but have loyal followings and/or are held in high regard

But for $1k or under you can't really go wrong with Seiko, Hamilton, Sinn, Stowa, Junghans et al. But even the mechanical Timexes are pretty nice for not a lot.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:24 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

+1 on Sinn. 556i would be a great place to start.

(You'd have to stretch your budget if you want to get a new one, or you could get a used one.)

Edit: but if you really want to stay within your budget and go for value, then I'd say Seiko. They make some great auto's under $1k. IMO you really can't beat them for their combination of price and design / variety. Just about anyone can find something nice somewhere up or down the Seiko line. Eventually I'm going to get one with a Spring Drive movement, but that's still a bit down the road.

Last edited by Louis; 12-07-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:34 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
But for $1k or under you can't really go wrong with Seiko, Hamilton, Sinn, Stowa, Junghans et al. But even the mechanical Timexes are pretty nice for not a lot.
+1 on Stowa. I have a Black Forest Limited Edition 1 that I love to wear.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:36 PM

Get a Shinola
Old 12-07-2022, 07:39 PM

Seiko GMT for a win.

https://seikousa.com/products/ssk001

SKX (bombproof)
+
GMT function (since you need to keep track of when stage 4 of the Giro starts).
Old 12-07-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
I have some more expensive watches, but still my favorite is the 38 mm Hamilton Khaki Field watch.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int...ield-auto.html
My man!!!!! I just ordered myself one (with a band, not a strap) for Christmas, sad as that sounds. It should arrive tomorrow.

I've worn a Seiko 5 every day for the past year and I really like it. Just getting deeper into mechanical watches again. So many great options, and in the sub $1000 price range, it's mind boggling.

Last edited by berserk87; 12-07-2022 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:54 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Get a Shinola
Charlie, as I'm sure you already know, it's written in the Paceline charter that whenever someone asks for advice about a purchase, especially if he's heading down a well-worn path to a familiar destination, it's our responsibility to spice things up, increase the budget, and send him to a more interesting place in life.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Charlie, as I'm sure you already know, it's written in the Paceline charter that whenever someone asks for advice about a purchase, especially if he's heading down a well-worn path to a familiar destination, it's our responsibility to spice things up, increase the budget, and send him to a more interesting place in life.
Well aware
Old 12-07-2022, 08:20 PM

I promise we are all here to “help†but if paceliners were first responders…things would not go well 😂

The OP has an open mind and a healthy budget. They’re off to a great start. Ideal situation is that they get a sense for what they like and find something used that they are proud to have in their collection long after they’ve been bit by the watch bug.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:28 PM

Also, kudos to Louis For posting pics.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Yes, and just with bikes, watches are an N+1 situation. I think I got up to about 14 or so mechanical and quartz Seikos before my Garmin Fenix took over.

Only one I really care to keep is my orange Sumo...and a couple of others.

Watchuseek.com is a great forum (for sucking the money out of your wallet..).
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Tags
braceline, man bracelet