Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2022, 04:10 PM

OT: Q for the watch enthusiasts

I'd like to buy a new watch. I already have a Garmin for exercise, etc, but I'd like to get something cool/timeless (pun intended) to wear every day.

I like the looks of Shinola watches, though it seems like watch people aren't very impressed with their mechanicals.

Budget is sub 1k ideally, so Richard Mille is out. What should I be looking at?
Old 12-07-2022, 04:23 PM

If you are looking at dress watch, an older American watch can be had for "pennies" i.e.: Waltham. Probably get a sold gold and still have plenty $$ leftover. Nice wearing piece of history.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:27 PM

I bought my son a Seiko Prospex automatic watch.
Really nice good quality automatic watch for under $1000, they have a few different models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2022, 04:27 PM

I'm assuming you want a mechanical watch? If so, you've got a LOT of nice options. Can you let us know a bit more about your needs/wants? For example, do you want so-called tool watch? Or a dressier watch? Do you want a chronograph or other complications? Or something simpler? Do you want a dive watch? Or not?

Without knowing any of the above, I'd be looking at a used Sinn or a new Hamilton Khaki. Timezone has a nice sales forum for used. If you're thinking new and you're willing to buy off the gray market, there are many, many choices.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:28 PM

At that price point II’d start here. https://baltic-watches.com/en
Pretty classic styling, and some features you wouldn’t normally find this price point, such as micro-rotors.
Covers the tool, dive, dress categories. Chrono and GMT will be above your spend level.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:29 PM

I have some more expensive watches, but still my favorite is the 38 mm Hamilton Khaki Field watch.

https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-int...ield-auto.html
Old 12-07-2022, 04:44 PM

This is all very helpful, thank you. I don't know quite what I want yet.

I think a tool watch is probably the right thing - certainly nothing dressy. No complications necessary! Dive - maybe?

Baltic looks right up my alley (the aquascaphe titanium) as does the Hamilton Khaki Field watch.

Last edited by theboucher; 12-07-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:44 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I bought my son a Seiko Prospex automatic watch.
Really nice good quality automatic watch for under $1000, they have a few different models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I a TAG I never wear anymore....prefer my Seiko SKX007J for everyday wear.

I have the "Made in Japan" version....but you can save $$ getting the SKX007K which is "Made in China"....

Prices have really gone up on these....I think I paid about $200 for mine. These have smaller dials than the Prospex watches....so may not be as "in fashion" for some folks.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboucher View Post
This is all very helpful, thank you. I don't know quite what I want yet.

I think a tool watch is probably the right thing - certainly nothing dressy. No complications necessary! Dive - maybe?

Baltic looks right up my alley - I'm going to take a closer look at the Aquascaphe Titanium.
The Aquascaphe ti is pretty new; the steel versions have been around for a few years and are pretty highly regarded. Searching for reviews will turn them up on all the usual sites like Fratello and Hodinkee.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:02 PM

https://momentumwatch.com/collection...41118575886514
Old 12-07-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
I think the OP is looking for a mechanical watch. The Momentum has a very basic quartz movement from Epson. (Which is a Seiko subsid, but it’s literally a $5 movement and is likely unserviceable )
Old 12-07-2022, 05:28 PM

Look for a Japanese made Seiko with a sapphire crystal.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:32 PM
Descent fitness

Wear what makes you smile when you look down at it. Don’t let anyone shame you into wanting something “better“.
I have a goodly number of very expensive vintage watches, but my favorite all rounders are relatively inexpensive tool watches with Seiko mechanical movements in them. I like how they look on my wrist and am of the opinion that pretty much any watch is decent these days, as opposed to 30 or 40 years ago.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:33 PM

just me, but I'd go vintage

keep something going just like you as you age together.

I have a '69 omega dynamic--i like the retro looks. downside is it is no longer waterproof so have to be careful handwashing and can't jump in the shower without taking it off.

so many great options, but if you won't wear it daily then think about if you want to have to set time and date when you do (or at least look for an easy date set function).

The omega is automatic, but I also have a manual wind Hamiton military watch issued for vietnam--have to wind it, but that is easy to do once you have the habit (satisfying too).

I got my sons each an early 1970's seiko ''ufo'' watch--they like the retro style too. very easy to set those.

not vintage, really, but as someone above stated some of the seiko prospex are nice--my son likes my "nemo" prospex diver--several years old now, orange dial.
shopworn often has some great deals compared to retail on some modern watches.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:40 PM

I like the bezel on the aquascape though the case maybe a bit tall.

Three pieces of advice:

1. Go to a watch shop(s) and try things on. It'll give you a better feel for what appeals to you. Don't buy anything but take notes (and wrist pictures) of what you like and do "research" from there.

2. Try to figure out what size watch you like. Watches generally range from 34mm-44mm and the difference between a millimeter or two makes a big difference. Think about the proportion on your wrist, what feels comfortable, and how much attention you would like the watch to attract. This is something to think about when you're looking at watches in person. (I think a watch around 38-40mm is going to last in your collection longer than a 42mm+ dive watch by the way.)

3. I like this website Watchrecon Even if you don't want to buy a used watch, it's a great place to see a ton of different watches and get an idea of what appeals to you. This is another great way to do "research".

If I had $1000 to spend, I would love to pick up 1) a Seiko Sarb033, 2) a Nomos Club, 3) a Unimatic U1 or U2, 4) Sinn 556. These are all specific to my tastes though which is why I prefaced this with more "universal" considerations above.

Good luck in your search! Please link anything you're interested back to this thread--I'm sure you'll get some honest opinions really quickly!

Tags
braceline, man bracelet