Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Perhaps this was some percent of the decision. But James heads up Nerd Alert, is equally critical as others, and he is still at CT as of now.
Though the 5 core Nerd Alert guys(including Zach here) were critical of some trends, they were also very complimentary of other current trends and efforts.
They definitely would praise where they saw good taking place.
Yeah, highly doubt the Nerd Alert podcast ruffling the feathers of "big bike" was the reasoning behind who stayed and went.

If anything it was strictly seniority vs page views/sellable ad numbers. Caley, Matt, Dave and James have all been at CT the longest amongst the crew remaining after the May cuts, and Caley and Matt published much less than Dave and James, and Dave's "tech nerd" content while great was always less mainstream than James' "gear junkie" posts. Granted that's a pretty broad generalization, but one that seems to make the most sense.

And smoking gun for the layoffs....
https://twitter.com/ari_schneider/st...4IiPR1Bk6lwgcA
Old 11-16-2022, 01:20 PM

Caley was a collegiate/front range bicycle racing homie and is a solid human. I also like the editorial content he creates.

I hope he lands on his feet quickly.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:37 PM

I loved Cool Tool Tuesday. Nothing else had that level of detail for wrenching gear.

Shame to see this go. Hope they land somewhere safely or launch their own substack.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:39 PM

I've been seeing a lot more crossposted articles between their sites lately, maybe that's their way forward.

Anyways, I cancelled.

Make sure to delete your payment info too.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:43 PM

I signed up when they offered a year for 10bucks.. but yeah I removed my payment card even before the layoffs.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:38 AM

It has been a long time since I viewed any Outside content, but I seem to recall their content trending towards freelancing instead of salaried employees. Maybe more recent users can tell me if I'm correct.

But this could be one reason for the cutbacks if Outside is trying to bring CT under that same business model umbrella.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:52 AM

Sucks as my subscription auto renewed 2 days before

Really like Dave Rome's articles on tools, listen to nerd alert, which was the reason I subscribed.

Guess I'm stuck with a year of whatever content comes and have preemptively canceled next renewal.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:06 AM

If your membership was through CyclingTips(not Outside+), contact Andy van Bergen the membership coordinator. They’ve stated they’ll sort a pro-rated cancellation for members. He’s said he’s a bit swamped right now so might need to be patient but always super helpful.

Also, Wade Wallace (CyclingTips founder) set up a substack heavily hinting at a future move:
https://wadewallace.substack.com/p/i...ng-needs-to-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Same and I just joined it this year….I can’t stand subscription services and this is one reason why. I feel like I threw my $ away now for more than half the year.

I doubt I’ll pick up another.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:07 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
If your membership was through CyclingTips(not Outside+), contact Andy van Bergen the membership coordinator. They’ve stated they’ll sort a pro-rated cancellation for members. He’s said he’s a bit swamped right now so might need to be patient but always super helpful.
How do we contact him? I don't see a way on the site. Help - I'd like to get my money back. I had just renewed 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpritchet74 View Post
How do we contact him? I don't see a way on the site. Help - I'd like to get my money back. I had just renewed 2 weeks ago.
I emailed veloclub@cyclingtips.com and Andy responded, canceling my membership.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:01 AM

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 11-30-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post

Also, Wade Wallace (CyclingTips founder) set up a substack heavily hinting at a future move:
https://wadewallace.substack.com/p/i...ng-needs-to-be
Andy is a great guy.. it sucks that he’s caught up in all this too. Hopefully he can jump to whatever comes out of the ashes here himself.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:21 AM
Administrator

This Outside+ slash and burn stuff stinks.

So many times we hear "do what you love" and it's a shame that there is so much volatility in a career in journalism right now. Hopefully everyone will wind up on their feet with their careers intact.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
He has been posting in the VeloClub Slack; looks like he may be up to something.
Oh no, the have a slack channel... I did not want to know this. I already have too many distractions at work.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Andy is a great guy.. it sucks that he’s caught up in all this too. Hopefully he can jump to whatever comes out of the ashes here himself.
Yes, no doubt he is being inundated with requests for cancellations. All the best to the rest of them that remain. James, Ronan, Shoddy, Abby et al.

I just deleted my cc info and will not auto renew and leave it at that, I was due to re-up in April so no big thing.

I'll just echo that hopefully Wade can 'get the band back together'.