Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2023, 07:27 PM

Also excited for this, and will also miss James’ tech/review contributions. Curious what the deal is there, as he stuck on longer at CT and I think is now the only(?) member of the crew that hasn’t migrated over to this new gambit. I guess Shoddy Dave is still MIA as well.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:28 PM
Moots Vamoots

As per his instagram, he's done at cyclingtips. He posted about his BMC review being his last work for them.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:20 PM

Yep James is gone. This was back on 2/2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @angryasian twitter
Today marks 7yrs for me at @cyclingtips. No other job has felt so much like home nor any other co-workers more like family.

But things just don’t feel right anymore, and I always follow my gut, so I’ve today submitted my resignation.

Last day and what comes next is TBD.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlc View Post
As per his instagram, he's done at cyclingtips. He posted about his BMC review being his last work for them.
Yes… just wondering why he hasn’t gone over to the new venture. Plenty of good reasons, I’d imagine. Maybe he wants to be the head honcho somewhere? Maybe he wants something with less risk? I believe has a materials engineering background, so it’s also possible he could go in-house somewhere and actually, you know, *make things* and not just write about them (I say that with affection for writers). Whatever the reason, I wish him the best, I liked hearing his take on things.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
Yes… just wondering why he hasn’t gone over to the new venture. Plenty of good reasons, I’d imagine. Maybe he wants to be the head honcho somewhere? Maybe he wants something with less risk? I believe has a materials engineering background, so it’s also possible he could go in-house somewhere and actually, you know, *make things* and not just write about them (I say that with affection for writers). Whatever the reason, I wish him the best, I liked hearing his take on things.
Agreed! The "Angry Asian" has long been my favorite bike nerd.

Tim
Old 02-22-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
Yes… just wondering why he hasn’t gone over to the new venture. Plenty of good reasons, I’d imagine.
Among other things, the "new venture" isn't paying anyone yet. Even if he does plan on joining them, it seems pretty reasonable that he'd want to collect a paycheck from Outside for at least a few more months.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Among other things, the "new venture" isn't paying anyone yet. Even if he does plan on joining them, it seems pretty reasonable that he'd want to collect a paycheck from Outside for at least a few more months.
When I chatted with him, he just needed some time off more than anything. He's been at this for a while and I can completely understand that a two week vacation isn't going to be enough. I would be surprised if we didn't see his byline pop up somewhere before too long, although the options are getting sparce.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 02-22-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Agreed! The "Angry Asian" has long been my favorite bike nerd.

Tim
It would seem on-brand for him to start a YouTube channel called: "Just the Tips"

I'd subscribe.

Seriously though, I'd love to see James join up with Caley and Dave and the gang. They are some of the best personalities in the cycling media sphere.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:08 AM

Speaking of bicycling writing, there's this "derailleur" substack (https://derailleur.substack.com) by Kate Wagner - Amity Rockwell mentioned this in her new newsletter, but the coverage/writing is quite good. I am surprised I didn't hear about her before.
Old 02-26-2023, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
Speaking of bicycling writing, there's this "derailleur" substack (https://derailleur.substack.com) by Kate Wagner - Amity Rockwell mentioned this in her new newsletter, but the coverage/writing is quite good. I am surprised I didn't hear about her before.
Fans of The Cycling Podcast will remember her as a guest host for part of the 2021 Tour de France. She was covering it for the first time and was thrown into the deep end. She did a great job covering the race and also seemed to strike a chord with the late Richard Moore and literally so with Francois Thomazeu. I enjoy her work. Spencer Martin is another younger writer who does a great job as well: https://beyondthepeloton.substack.com/
Old 02-28-2023, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Sorry, but I lose respect for people when they go on passive aggressive rants like this, without ANY real information. If you've got something to say, come out and say it, otherwise don't bother. I'm sure he has a reason for not joining, but I can't stand the "i know something you dont know" tease.

His stock as a writer just went down in my book.

From his latest instagram:

Quote:
angryasian
Well, I still can’t say where I’m going (because I still don’t know), but I can at least share where I won’t be.

Sorry, folks. I know a lot of you were hoping I’d rejoin the gang, but alas, it apparently wasn’t meant to be.

Best of luck to them, especially as it comprises a whole bunch of friends and former colleagues, but they'll be traveling on that journey without me.

Next chapter for me remains TBD.

Last edited by AngryScientist; 02-28-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:44 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Sorry, but I lose respect for people when they go on passive aggressive rants like this, without ANY real information. If you've got something to say, come out and say it, otherwise don't bother. I'm sure he has a reason for not joining, but I can't stand the "i know something you dont know" tease.

His stock as a writer just went down in my book.
Quote source is _____?
Twitter, or??
Old 02-28-2023, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
Quote source is _____?
Twitter, or??
instagram
Old 02-28-2023, 08:55 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
instagram
gotcha
Old 02-28-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
instagram
The text you posted didn't see a particularly egregious to me, although going to Instagram, the image is perhaps more inflammatory.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpLsOuOO...d=MDM4ZDc5MmU=