Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2022, 09:50 AM

The ride of a Moots is special. I had an RSL and CR and loved them both but then had Bingham Built make me a similar bike that also has that magic. I don't see myself paying up for a Moots while similarly great but cheaper and more-custom options exist. Sorry Moots.

Also, visible cables look good imo, and hiding them creates a hassle for this home mechanic.

Instagram
Old 11-17-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
there's alot to like about moots, but there's always something that "just aint right" that makes me pause before seriously looking into them.
Their sweetest spot and period was and is the classic road bike of the mid-'00s to mid-'10s..

Tire clearance limitations aside, those will always be amazing bikes to behold and ride.

Their current hyper-differentiation of models and purposes and geometries and finishes makes little sense to me.

Alas, I'm a simple man, who likes simple things. And I'm not their customer.

It's been said before but might as well be said again: if you want a custom titanium experience, there are some great options, ranging from DeSalvo to Bingham Built (via Hampsten) to Alliance to Holland ...and beyond. And if it is off-the-peg you're after, I can't imagine beating what No. 22 is offering - their dropouts are beautiful and their production is just perfect. Of course FireFly is there too if you have time to wait.. and no complaints to be had about Seven either.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:58 PM
Deconditioned!

Moots CRD aside (drifting), I've always liked Moots. I owned one and really enjoyed it. It was the lust for fatter rubber than had me sell it. I do like the company, and their place in the marketplace.

As to pricing, yes, insanely high...but seems the industry is just doing what is natural: charging the highest price a buyer will pay. As maddening as it is, it's just the way it goes.

As to the new owner, I have less than zero issues. From reading that article, I thought "good for Moots". ATMO, the bike industry is full of non-business people. I'm not really discussing the big companies. I'm talking smaller builders and definitely the LBS system. These cats wouldn't know a financial statement or spreadsheet if it hit them in the face*. I think having someone that is a passionate zealot as the owner...with a serious business brainpan is a good thing. He's not going to squeeze pricing too hard...he knows these units need to move. He's going to respect the "bro-down" heart of Moots and where it's based (referring to its employees). I don't think this guy is going to Musk it up. He's going to do his darndest to make great bikes, support his workers, and have fun while doing it.

And, if a frame where $4-5k (where I think it should be)(save all the quirky finishes, I thank you)(I'll take mine raw as the good lord intended Ti to be), I'd give it a gander.

BUT, I'm sticking with my Hampsten (BB) all day long.

*I'm a traditional "business/finance" guy so I may be a bit harsh with my view of others that are not.

Last edited by lavi; 11-17-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:49 PM

Is the headset / stem available in the open market?
Old 11-17-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Is the headset / stem available in the open market?
Not yet, but it's the Enve Integrated Road Stem and the Chris King Aeroset. They're only available to custom builders but they intend to release as standalone at some time.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:03 PM

From Moots email, "The Vamoots CRD can hold up to a 32mm tire and performs best with a 28 to 30mm tire."
Old 11-30-2022, 02:22 PM

Moots seems to be coming out with new models that are slight variations on the road, all road, gravel, and mountain bikes they already have. It's interesting to see how Moots is selling these. Is there an overall brand strategy going on? Did they release this bike for the sole purpose of showcasing their headset gimmick?
Old 11-30-2022, 03:00 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
Moots seems to be coming out with new models that are slight variations on the road, all road, gravel, and mountain bikes they already have. It's interesting to see how Moots is selling these. Is there an overall brand strategy going on? Did they release this bike for the sole purpose of showcasing their headset gimmick?
Seems like Moots was traditionally cranking out mainly road bikes with clearance for 25s. Yes, they have the Route and Route45 and bikes with a YBB and all that jazz, but their mainstay has seemingly been road bikes.

This bike seems like a pivot to the mainstream tread of an AR bike included room for fatter rubber.

While I'll never buy one (Hampsten has me covered in spades), it's nifty to see pretty much every manufacturer is now on board that bikes need room for 32s, minimum. The fact that all these bikes are disc, and not rim brake, is another thing.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Seems like Moots was traditionally cranking out mainly road bikes with clearance for 25s. Yes, they have the Route and Route45 and bikes with a YBB and all that jazz, but their mainstay has seemingly been road bikes.

This bike seems like a pivot to the mainstream tread of an AR bike included room for fatter rubber.

While I'll never buy one (Hampsten has me covered in spades), it's nifty to see pretty much every manufacturer is now on board that bikes need room for 32s, minimum. The fact that all these bikes are disc, and not rim brake, is another thing.
Moots had the Vamoots RCS out for over a year, and very little pub other than the requisite press-release style articles. That had room for 35mm rubber which is the norm for all-road bikes. But agree that room for more rubber is a plus, and like where the general road bike trend is headed.

But the CRD was specifically a move to get in on that "integrated cockpit" and "hidden cables" market which is still perceived as premium for the average high-end bike buyer. For a primo example of that perception read the newest Gran Fondo All-Road bike shootout where they rate integrated cockpits as importantly as ride quality. No22 in their discussion with the CT podcast pretty much admitted as much - that the integrated and hidden cables is specifically so their custom metal bikes can catch some of the shine of the top-end racing carbon integrated road bikes which have the big marketing dollars behind them.

I admit that nicely executed integrated front-end and hidden cables can make a bike look slick as anything, but the Moots CRD fails in my eyes. The No22 is better executed, but even that looks rather bulbous though the 3d printed stem has some cool tech inside.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Or take some relatively inexpensive cabin 'cloth', some glue..lay it in a mold, squeeze and heat some, hang some parts on it...put it into a box and ship to the US...and viola, a $15,000 Spec or trek or giant.
There is a bunch more tech involved in the above frame..
Old 12-13-2022, 06:23 PM

This review, from England, mention that Moots is developing it's own Ti and carbon stem for integration:
https://youtu.be/dKw4-pXbWBA
Old 12-14-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
There is a bunch more tech involved in the above frame..
Right, 100 anno fade patterns and 100 decal color options for example - oh wait
Old 12-14-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
This review, from England, mention that Moots is developing it's own Ti and carbon stem for integration:
https://youtu.be/dKw4-pXbWBA
The more time I spend looking at the enve stem the less I like it. The idea behind this bike is good, I love the headtube and the headset but they need a better stem.

Still can't get over the price though.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:01 AM

Its safe to say that No.22 did a much better job at executing the same thing... (integrated stem)
It wouldn't be terribly surprising if Moots had them make their stems, as they've gone so far as to outsource their Ti forks.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:22 PM

Stelbel

Surely this is the most elegant 'no wires' execution. I don't know why Stelbel is the only one doing it nicely.