Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2022, 08:42 AM

Its kinda funny that now one can market a bike as pure road riding and make that something special as apposed to the gravel hysteria.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:04 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Its kinda funny that now one can market a bike as pure road riding and make that something special as apposed to the gravel hysteria.
I dunno, this doesn’t sound all that special to me, unless you’re a fan of Contra cheat codes: “Pure pavement riding where the only varying surface is up, down, left and right.”
Old 11-16-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
The role of marketing is to make any product sound special, regardless of how mundane the reality is.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:06 AM

I like Moots.

Those welds are beautiful!

But if I had $16k for a bike, it would have a motor.

SPP
Old 11-16-2022, 10:56 AM

I like it.. but if I'm spending 15-16K.. I'm going full aero bike and some weightweenie bits
Old 11-16-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I like Moots.

Those welds are beautiful!

But if I had $16k for a bike, it would have a motor.

SPP
I'm with you, that's more than the last 2 motorcycles I bought combined.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:13 PM

I am liking it. You can get a custom carbon bike that is more aero and lighter at the same price point. I don't think I can appreciate the benefits of aero carbon, but I do think I could enjoy the ride of a Ti bike a bit more. If you want aero carbon, you are not looking at this bike. If this bike is a consideration, seeing what No.22 is doing with anodizing, cerakote finishes, 3d printed Ti stems, carbon seat tubes, ISP's and their own fork is an interesting conversation.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
I am liking it. You can get a custom carbon bike that is more aero and lighter at the same price point. I don't think I can appreciate the benefits of aero carbon, but I do think I could enjoy the ride of a Ti bike a bit more. If you want aero carbon, you are not looking at this bike. If this bike is a consideration, seeing what No.22 is doing with anodizing, cerakote finishes, 3d printed Ti stems, carbon seat tubes, ISP's and their own fork is an interesting conversation.
But if you're not looking for "aero" why add weight, complexity and cost via the integrated frame, fork, headset, stem and bars?

And although the new stem is hideous, some of the other stuff no.22 experimenting on with 3D printed Ti, couplers and finishes really are fantastic. The dropouts are especially elegent:
https://22bicycles.com/blogs/news/a-...inted-dropouts
Old 11-16-2022, 01:01 PM

We’ll alrighty then!!

16K………….WTH? Doesn’t look like any more “technology” than we’ve been seeing for quite a long time.

Last edited by ridesmasterx; 11-16-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:06 PM

I think comparing No22 and Moots is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. Or Koenigsegg and Bugatti if you will. Both have their appeal but you're paying for something slightly different with each.

I've bought bikes from both, the Moots frame and fork were a step above the No22. Dealing with Moots was a pleasure (and their dealer), dealing with No22 was incredibly frustrating. At least then No22 back then was significantly cheaper. No22 probably has the more interesting vision at this time and better marketing. Moots really needs to step up its game there.

I think a lot of what you're paying for with Moots is the certain knowledge that everything from the buying process to the finished product will be flawless, but you're not getting anything super fancy. You're getting something relatively simple but done extremely well.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
Man, I haven't had a single carbon bike that could touch the ride quality of my Moots. Honestly, most carbon bikes I've owned have ridden line poop: either overly stiff and harsh or dead. Maybe I should hunt down a Look 585.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:26 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Maybe I should hunt down a Look 585.
And then you can laugh all the way to the bank with the cashola you saved.

Also, that Moots mushroom cap hs/stem is yukky.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:07 PM
Picshooter

I sold my Moots soon after riding my 585 that I bought here. The Clear coat wasn't the best so while looking for a refinisher I came across basically a NOS 585 frameset in the same color.
Then after getting hit by a car destroyed the fork on the original one, I found a third basically NOS 585 frame. All told I paid less for all three frames than I would a new Moots F&F. As a bonus I was able to source a NOS fork for the original which is still my main ride.
There is no doubt that Moots builds a great bike, but the 585 works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
Man, I haven't had a single carbon bike that could touch the ride quality of my Moots. Honestly, most carbon bikes I've owned have ridden line poop: either overly stiff and harsh or dead. Maybe I should hunt down a Look 585.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
I sold my Moots soon after riding my 585 that I bought here. The Clear coat wasn't the best so while looking for a refinisher I came across basically a NOS 585 frameset in the same color.
Then after getting hit by a car destroyed the fork on the original one, I found a third basically NOS 585 frame. All told I paid less for all three frames than I would a new Moots F&F. As a bonus I was able to source a NOS fork for the original which is still my main ride.
There is no doubt that Moots builds a great bike, but the 585 works for me.
I really want to try one of these bikes. I held off on a Moots for so long and finally caved and snagged a gently used '19 Vamoots off of eBay earlier this year. Basically, the magic is real, and it's gotta be a combination of the tubing selection and geometry, but those bikes just ride really, really well. I've been burned by custom Ti in the past, so was really hesitant to have another go around, but Moots is doing something right.

The 585 is another bike that the "hive mind" has granted legendary status, and similarly, I've had several carbon bikes that just made me wanna give up on the material: Synapse SE (felt dead), '22 Trek Emonda (odd geometry), '15 Emonda (felt dead), SS Evo HiMod (solid, but always creaking), and now an Aethos. Jury is still out on the Aethos, but my first impressions are that it's overly harsh, which I put down to the small rear triangle. Oddly, the front end of that bike feels a little noodly, which given the rear end makes for some interesting feedback.

Maybe carbon just isn't a good material to make frames out of? Maybe I should get a 585?
Old 11-16-2022, 05:19 PM

I’m with Angry…….slap some Pronto decals on that and it looks just like one from 10 years ago. I think I just saved myself $14k……

And yes, I am aware that Serotta is no longer in business the way we knew them from back in the day.