Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2022, 09:36 AM

Silver GRX groups

I'm not sure if these are hard to find, but Fairwheel Bikes in Tucson has one available. It looked nice, even though I don't see the point of it.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:50 PM

Hmm, interesting.

I've always wondered about colors of bikes and components that get dirty as a matter of course, not accidentally.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:56 PM

There's always a very vocal contingent of posters on this site, and I imagine similar forums, of people lamenting the unavailability of silver components.

Seems like maybe Shimano heard the message and decided to make a limited run to "test the waters," so to speak, and see if the market is actually there, or if it's just a bunch of people who already have 25 bikes complaining about stuff they'd never buy.

Personally, I think that the silver GRX group looks sharp as heck! Pretty cool choice for the right gravel rig.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:13 PM

There's definitely a subset of bikes that look better with silver. Retro/vintage, some lugged frames, etc. I wish Shimano had made the RD parallelogram silver, not just the cage plates. And the chainring on the 1x.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:47 PM

Now if only they'd do a throwback grey XTR group...
Old 10-27-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Now if only they'd do a throwback grey XTR group...
I'd pay good money for a re-run of M952 XTR (or maybe M960, don't recall all the differences between the two 9-speed groups).
Old 10-27-2022, 02:10 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
I'd pay good money for a re-run of M952 XTR (or maybe M960, don't recall all the differences between the two 9-speed groups).
M960 was the absolutely awful shifting brake levers. Quite possibly the worst mtb idea that shimano ever had
Old 10-27-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
M960 was the absolutely awful shifting brake levers. Quite possibly the worst mtb idea that shimano ever had
Were those the integrated STI levers similar to the road STIs?

Ha, those came on a used Santa Cruz that my son uses. Theyre way too complicated for an 11yr old, but when I tested them out, they were so slick and shifted perfectly! For a commuter, they'd be great, but for something you may crash on, theyre a bad idea!

If anyone wants a set of XTs in exchange for a set of hyrdo brake levers and a rear shifter, let me know

As for silver GRX, I think it looks amazing. I love silver parts. I hate when dark anodized parts get USED and then become silver. Why not design them with a resilient finish right from the start?
Old 10-27-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
M952 was my jam too, best trigger shifter ever
Old 10-27-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Oh god, kill it with fire.

I had the XT(?) version on my bike at the time. They shifted really well, but just felt weird, I never really got used to them.

M952 group on a vintage frame would make such a nice errand bike.

I like my mid-80s Stumpjumper, but truthfully it fits my wife (5'4") better than me (5'7"). And I don't want to swap the factory bull moose for separate stem/bar to get the reach and stack I need. And the mix of 8 speed parts works well, but isn't "special" in any way.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:26 PM
DELETE ACCNT

https://theradavist.com/shimano-silv...imited-review/

Incycle (socal) has a few as well.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:48 PM
Go Sox!

Wheel Works has at least 2 kits.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:14 AM

Blacksmith has 3 sets and posted pics on a built bike to Instagram.

Looks nice, with everyone on old xtr grey. There is a full group on kijiji right now for $600 cad. Seriously thinking about it.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
There's definitely a subset of bikes that look better with silver. Retro/vintage, some lugged frames, etc. I wish Shimano had made the RD parallelogram silver, not just the cage plates. And the chainring on the 1x.
And the fat modern crank still would look bad on any elegant retro/vintage steel frame. That's the biggest problem now days for folks who like the old steel and think like me. Modern cranks are just fat, ugly, blobs of metal that look like a dingleberry hanging off the butt of a dog when put on a classic steel frame.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
And the fat modern crank still would look bad on any elegant retro/vintage steel frame. That's the biggest problem now days for folks who like the old steel and think like me. Modern cranks are just fat, ugly, blobs of metal that look like a dingleberry hanging off the butt of a dog when put on a classic steel frame.
Here you go, a fully modern 12 speed crank that is a perfect match for a svelte steel frame.