Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2023, 11:37 AM

Nova Scotia-South Shore/Acadian Shore tour advice

With temps below 0 and howling winds, I am in summer tour planning mode. I've never taken the high speed ferry to Nova Scotia, and always thought it would be fun. This would be tandem tour with my partner and the plan would be to ride to Bar Harbor and take the ferry to Yarmouth- apparently no Portland departures this year- and do a four or five day loop, or even out and back, mostly camping. It's been years since I've been, and never in the southeast. I am just wondering about the general level of congestion and traffic. Is it worth trying to ride that southern shoreline route on the South Shore?
Old 02-04-2023, 08:58 AM

We spent three weeks in Nova Scotia last summer. We basically did a lap around the whole shebang. We saw bike tours constantly around Clarks Harbor and the Hawk. Very little traffic, great bird watching and beautifully vacant beaches. We used Highway 330 on the island and many kilometers on Highway 3. Saw many bikes in the fishing/lobster villages. Greatest concentration of bikes were in Cape Breton National Highlands near Cheticamp and the glorious Margaree Valley. We spent a week in the Margaree area hiking, bird watching and fly fishing for Atlantic Salmon. Can't wait to return!
Old 02-04-2023, 10:53 AM

Don't know when you plan on going but from what I remember, early Aug is ideal.

Stop to "smell the roses"...actually get in vibed with locals, they are super nice. Music is wonderful. Food fantastic. I am very partial to the maritimes.

Of course don't expect calm winds...
Old 02-04-2023, 12:23 PM

Awesome-thanks. Sounds do-able then.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:12 PM

My only advice is that NS is a lot bigger than you expect. Getting up to Cape Breton in a week and doing any riding there is not likely possible. It is about 500km to Port Hawkesbury from Yarmouth one way and that is just to the start of the island.

I'd almost suggest the following:

Ferry to Yarmouth
Ride up to Digby
Ferry to Saint John NB
Saint John to Portland on the Airline Rd or Rte 1

OR ride around NB, there is less tourism and traffic there.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:32 PM

We visited Cape Breton the last two summers, and really enjoy the Cabot trail and the national park, haven’t spent as much time on the main island, but getting point to point takes a long time in NS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2023, 01:57 PM

Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail are awesome for sure. This time out we have more modest ambitions though.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:28 AM

My wife and I are planning to do a similar tour this summer— but ours will be 4 weeks! We’ve done the SE coast three times and have always loved it. The coastal road is narrow, but traffic is slow and courteous and not too heavy. You should reserve camp spots ahead at Provincial Parks like Rissers Beach since they fill up. There is a rail trail, but it’s pretty chunky so we mostly avoided it until near Halifax. Feel free to PM for specific questions.

David