Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2022, 11:13 AM

Looking for workbench/garage storage wisdom

My better half and I are in escrow for a house and will have a garage for the first time in our lives! I'm excited to figure out our garage situation, including bike storage and wrenching stuff.

Currently, I'm thinking of using the Rubbermaid Fasttrack system to store bicycles and some tools.

Workbench wise, I'm thinking of a rolling workbench with some trays, so I can be mobile.

Trying to pick some insight from the paceline brain: are there things you wish you did differently in your garage? Thanks!
Old 06-26-2022, 11:28 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
Trying to pick some insight from the paceline brain: are there things you wish you did differently in your garage? Thanks!
Don't put the extra boxes full of stuff in the the garage, thinking you will figure out where in the house it will go later.....it never leaves. Been in our house 10+ years....there are still some boxes there.....ugh.

Rolling workbench sounds cool. We use some commercial wire racks, and Sterilite containers to organize stuff.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:49 AM
Small ring

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nj3wbN8m8eeXphJi9
Old 06-26-2022, 11:51 AM

Drawers, stackable bins - label them and keep them tidy.

I find that having tools out (like on pegboard) is rarely necessary.

One thing I love is a rack of wheel hooks. I love a lined-up row of wheels hanging in hooks, above a doorway or something. Alternatively, wheels in wheelbags hung up on a wall - but I often forget which wheels are in wheelbags.

A hose and bike-wash station is very nice to have.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:17 PM
Rockstruck

What else will you use your workbenches for?
Old 06-26-2022, 01:22 PM
Forward the Foundation

https://www.globalindustrial.com/

My version of IKEA, bought a lovely work bench from them.
Their house brand benches have metal frame from Taiwan, maple tops
from John Boos.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:38 PM
Vendor

I’ve been through a lot of iterations and really happy with this one.
All major tools stay in the tool case. I used to pack/unpack it but I love just being able to close it and throw it in the car for trips and not forget everything. It’s been so nice and so much better than a perfectly organized static tool chest

Metal drawers hold parts and speciality tools (bearing presses, saw, etc)

I don’t have room for a permanent truing stand but c clamp it to the bench as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2022, 03:10 PM

I would only store items in the garage if humidity (rust) and temperature will not be issues. Security and lighting are other matters. Can you lock the doors? Is there sufficient lighting-a friend installed florescent lights around the inside perimeter of his single car garage and can easily work on the car, or his bikes without any dark spots.

Buy a bench vise from the second hand market; you'll save money and get something more robust than newer, chain hardware store offerings.

The real focus of my reply was your mention of the Rubbermaid Fasttrack system.

I recently installed a closet system in my condo. Worth every penny. I think you should get a combination of the tool storage system and the wire mesh system; the tool storage system doesn't look like it offers much in the way of shelving.

For the closet storage system, everything hinges on ensuring the top rail is level. And the screws must go into studs for strength. If you can't find the studs with a stud finder, use a magnet to locate the sheetrock screws. Secure the rail to the studs for a strong installation. Same goes for the adjustable, slotted uprights. If you can't hit the studs, use toggle bolts and try to avoid the studs; plastic anchors won't be strong enough.

Cutting the wire mesh is easiest with bolt cutters and besides, using a hacksaw will tempt you to cut too close to the ends, so the plastic protective caps won't fit.

Rubbermaid sells a close mesh shelving (what you see in the photo) which fits the same system (you can mix/match on the same rails) but is more expensive and only necessary for smaller items such as a small bottle of chain lube, etc. . Choose the shelving for your needs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shelf - 1.jpg (42.3 KB, 552 views)
Old 06-27-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
Drawers, stackable bins - label them and keep them tidy.

I find that having tools out (like on pegboard) is rarely necessary.

One thing I love is a rack of wheel hooks. I love a lined-up row of wheels hanging in hooks, above a doorway or something. Alternatively, wheels in wheelbags hung up on a wall - but I often forget which wheels are in wheelbags.

A hose and bike-wash station is very nice to have.
Thanks! Unfortunately we have no surplus wheels (looks like a problem I need to solve).

The garage comes with wall-mounted wire storage which I think I will shuffle around.

It also has some pegboards..perhaps it would be wise to rethink their use. Maybe to store bags? hmm
Old 06-27-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Old 06-27-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
What else will you use your workbenches for?
For the most part just bike wrenching, but I would love to get into some beginner woodworking or leatherworking..the possibilities are endless!
Old 06-27-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahuston View Post
I’ve been through a lot of iterations and really happy with this one.
All major tools stay in the tool case. I used to pack/unpack it but I love just being able to close it and throw it in the car for trips and not forget everything. It’s been so nice and so much better than a perfectly organized static tool chest

Metal drawers hold parts and speciality tools (bearing presses, saw, etc)

I don’t have room for a permanent truing stand but c clamp it to the bench as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! That is definitely an idea! I may do the same with my bike tools
Old 06-27-2022, 10:34 AM

I made my own work bench to make sure I got what I wanted (and it was dirt cheap).

I have two sets of shelves as well. We have something like the Rubbermaid Fast Track, but it's not really bike stuff on there, more like yard tools, etc.. Then a pegboard type organizing system above the workbench.

2x Topeak telescoping bike racks to get a couple bikes up off the floor. (We have 7 bikes on the back wall)

For shelves favor all metal construction with full metal shelves or hardwood (or at least solid pine) shelves. Stuff like fiberboard, MDF is going to degrade over time as you inevitably spill some chemicals on it and humidity and weather changes go to work.

My workbench is at least 60" wide, maybe 36" deep? I set up the height higher than normal to fit me since I"m 6'1" which makes a BIG difference for comfort. It has a lower shelf maybe 9" off the ground which I have additional tools on. Air Compressor, shop heater, tools that are in plastic cases, etc..

Build for bike work + all the other stuff you will need to do. Leave room for a vise and other stuff like that. I have a soldering setup too, I wanted it to be good for that.

I put a back wall on the workbench top so that small parts can't fall off the back. But no fence on the sides because sometimes I want to be able to pull the workbench out and lay big pieces of wood or such across it.

Biggest annoyance for me doing bike work is climate. I have a shop heater, but no way to cool the garage. It's miserable to do cables or something in the garage (mine is separate) in the middle of summer.

Last edited by benb; 06-27-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

I recently installed a closet system in my condo. Worth every penny. I think you should get a combination of the tool storage system and the wire mesh system; the tool storage system doesn't look like it offers much in the way of shelving.

For the closet storage system, everything hinges on ensuring the top rail is level. And the screws must go into studs for strength. If you can't find the studs with a stud finder, use a magnet to locate the sheetrock screws. Secure the rail to the studs for a strong installation. Same goes for the adjustable, slotted uprights. If you can't hit the studs, use toggle bolts and try to avoid the studs; plastic anchors won't be strong enough.

Cutting the wire mesh is easiest with bolt cutters and besides, using a hacksaw will tempt you to cut too close to the ends, so the plastic protective caps won't fit.

Rubbermaid sells a close mesh shelving (what you see in the photo) which fits the same system (you can mix/match on the same rails) but is more expensive and only necessary for smaller items such as a small bottle of chain lube, etc. . Choose the shelving for your needs.
I like the simplicity of this stuff, ease of instal and the overall ecosystem of product. It's been in essentially ever closet and pantry we've had in the last 15 years but man do I dislike those wire shelves. I always have stuff slide through the grates. A nice upgrade is to cut 1/4" ply "decking" for the shelves.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:34 AM

Bench vice, paper towel rack, task lighting.