Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2023, 01:28 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
it was purely petty revenge tactics after it got out that their kid was rightfully denied playing time because he wasn't being a productive or good teammate.
That's not the right timeline. Gio was told he'd see limited time due to Gregg's lineup decisions (i.e. not "for cause"), then he pouted and slacked off in training, before apologizing and being welcomed back into the fold.

So, yes, there was a disciplinary issue, but that wasn't the underlying cause behind the lack of playing time, and he was never "benched." I have not heard an account to the contrary, from a reliable source who'd be in a position to know.

Gio is young, healthy, and playing at a high level club where he's in a good position to see his stature grow. Gregg achieved his objectives for this WC cycle, IMHO, and we are awaiting the outcome of an investigation. The Reynas? Oof . . .
Old 01-05-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
That's not the right timeline. Gio was told he'd see limited time due to Gregg's lineup decisions (i.e. not "for cause"), then he pouted and slacked off in training, before apologizing and being welcomed back into the fold.

So, yes, there was a disciplinary issue, but that wasn't the underlying cause behind the lack of playing time, and he was never "benched." I have not heard an account to the contrary, from a reliable source who'd be in a position to know.

Gio is young, healthy, and playing at a high level club where he's in a good position to see his stature grow. Gregg achieved his objectives for this WC cycle, IMHO, and we are awaiting the outcome of an investigation. The Reynas? Oof . . .
According to The Athletic the pouting began even before the Nov 17th friendly.
https://theathletic.com/3991695/2022...egg-berhalter/

So maybe my original stated timeline was a bit off, but even though he wasn't a starter we don't know exactly how much playing time he might've gotten if he had a proper attitude but it certainly would've been more than he eventually earned. When a coach references almost sending him home because of his attitude/effort that certainly has to lessen the chances of him earning quality minutes.

But what isn't up for debate is that the Reynas immediately went into scorched earth mode the moment Berhalter told Reyna he would have a limited role, to wit:
Quote:
The messages from Claudio began after his son, Gio Reyna, was informed he would have a limited role at the tournament.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...cident-sources

Gio is an immense talent and will most likely be the face of American soccer post-Pulisic. But given this information it's easy to see why he had such a garbage attitude, and hopefully he can separate himself from his parents as his career progresses. He's still very young, and by all accounts he took responsibility once confronted, learned his lesson and hasn't been an issue since.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:58 PM
Cranky!

Sorry, I did not read the Athletic article, as I'm not a subscriber.

Bottom line, I think, is that what happened in the team was fairly normal stuff. If anything, this squad was unusually close-knit, united and motivated, by the standard of the WC teams, especially considering that the qualifying campaign was not exactly smooth.

I thought that the "play Gio" tantrums and "Gregg out" discourse on Twitter, during the WC was weird. I mean, if there's a better coach who will take the job, by all means, hire them. But this WC went about as well as could be expected for the U.S., before all this BS drama kicked off . . .
Old 01-05-2023, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Sorry, I did not read the Athletic article, as I'm not a subscriber.

Bottom line, I think, is that what happened in the team was fairly normal stuff. If anything, this squad was unusually close-knit, united and motivated, by the standard of the WC teams, especially considering that the qualifying campaign was not exactly smooth.

I thought that the "play Gio" tantrums and "Gregg out" discourse on Twitter, during the WC was weird. I mean, if there's a better coach who will take the job, by all means, hire them. But this WC went about as well as could be expected for the U.S., before all this BS drama kicked off . . .
I agree - early on, pre-qualifiers and qualification, I was not a Berhalter fan - re: decisions, formation, players etc.
However, I now see that he was able to maximize the teams potential.
If he is ousted, Europe awaits him.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Compare this to the McKennie issue earlier in the cycle & you see GB's pattern of how to rehab players (I take it as a positive. They're kids. He's firm but willing to bring them back in the fold once they grow up & adhere to the rules). Weston gets the message, fixes himself, no issue. I think Gio eventually does as well. The difference? Gio's parents blow everything up.
Old 01-06-2023, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Compare this to the McKennie issue earlier in the cycle & you see GB's pattern of how to rehab players (I take it as a positive. They're kids. He's firm but willing to bring them back in the fold once they grow up & adhere to the rules). Weston gets the message, fixes himself, no issue. I think Gio eventually does as well. The difference? Gio's parents blow everything up.
In short, I agree.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:37 AM

The one thing all this reminds me of is that US Soccer is too insular. C Reyna and Berhalter have known each other since they were kids. The bosses Earnie Stewart and Brian McBride played on the same national teams as both of those guys, and Berhalters brother Jay is in an executive position also. Danielle Reyna and Rosalind Berhalter were college roomies. Time for some new blood, new ideas maybe? Is there a German on the downswing we could hire? That always works out for the best.
Old 01-06-2023, 08:53 AM

How about someone with experience coaching in Germany?

Matarazzo and Cherundolo?

Likes of Klinsmann, perhaps not so much
Old 01-06-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
The one thing all this reminds me of is that US Soccer is too insular. C Reyna and Berhalter have known each other since they were kids. The bosses Earnie Stewart and Brian McBride played on the same national teams as both of those guys, and Berhalters brother Jay is in an executive position also. Danielle Reyna and Rosalind Berhalter were college roomies. Time for some new blood, new ideas maybe? Is there a German on the downswing we could hire? That always works out for the best.
Tuchel
Old 01-06-2023, 02:47 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Tuchel
Overqualified.
Old 01-06-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsinill View Post
Tuchel
And have Pulisic switch to a different country?

Pulisic aside we need like the opposite of Tuchel - someone who can make a forward better.

Arsene Wenger! Hear me out. A) he has molded Anelka, Henry and Van Persie from wings to forwards and coached one George Weah to his 1st major award as African Player of the Year. All Goalscorers! Maybe he can work his magic on Tim.

B) he would have to leave his role at FIFA he could stop coming up with crazy ideas for "improvements"

Win, Win!

PS - I am pretty sure you were kidding about Tuchel

PPS- I'm 99% kidding about Wenger
Old 01-06-2023, 09:03 PM

Decent article from ESPN (and utube) - historical timelines and relationships.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/48...estic-violence
Old 01-08-2023, 11:55 AM

I saw on ESPN that Zidane turned down overtures from US Soccer to manage the mens team. For you soccer geeks what does that mean? Is the USMNT too much of a dumpster fire or does Zidane just have other interests?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...h-to-coach-usa
Old 01-08-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I saw on ESPN that Zidane turned down overtures from US Soccer to manage the mens team. For you soccer geeks what does that mean? Is the USMNT too much of a dumpster fire or does Zidane just have other interests?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-s...h-to-coach-usa
If you read the full article it says that Zidane is eyeing the French national team as his next stop, and that he denied similar requests from Brazil and Portugal which are both better positions than the US with more talent, better development pipelines if less financial resources

Also Zidane will have the pick of the litter when it comes to his next position. The US is a good position but will require a min 4yr commitment, and he’ll have no exposure to any future players he hopes to coach on the French national team after 2026. If he gets another position in one of the Euro leagues he’ll have less of a commitment and more player exposure. It simply makes no sense for Zidane to take the position given his stated goals.
Old 01-08-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
If you read the full article
Thanks, I did read the full article. I also saw Deshamps re-upped for another 4 years with the French team.

I also mentioned. I wanted to hear from soccer geeks, which implied I don’t know much about the inner workings of soccer.

Next time I will clarify that I read the full article. I apologize for my lack of soccer understanding.