Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2023, 10:34 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Those commercial chargers you see in public places are mostly empty. That's possibly why EV America chargers have been bricking cars.
Bricking? In what context are you referring?
Old 02-23-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Agreed 100%. We'll make a similar distance drive that SAAB did in 1 day, going from Nashville to either Vero Beach or Miami. Our TOTAL stopped time including gas and food stops is often less than an hour for the entire trip.
934 miles with less than an hour total for food, gas, and bathroom breaks? Uggh.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:51 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
934 miles with less than an hour total for food, gas, and bathroom breaks? Uggh.
Seems the very definition of speed traversing, doesn't it?
Old 02-23-2023, 10:57 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I stumbled upon a diy ev charger forum. There is a forum for everything, it seems.
Yep. I frequent a forum in which a member is documenting his home-brew EV swap in an old truck of the same vintage as my handle. I am cautious about electrical, so even simple DIY is not so attractive to me.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Cannonball style run.

You should be able to cut that by 75%.

First. No food stops. Stock a cooler.

Second. No gas breaks. Diesel.

Third. No bathroom breaks. Refill the cooler.

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-23-2023, 11:18 AM

can you link that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Yep. I frequent a forum in which a member is documenting his home-brew EV swap in an old truck of the same vintage as my handle. I am cautious about electrical, so even simple DIY is not so attractive to me.
I have hopes of converting my 64 avanti--undoubtedly I'll pay someone, but I'd love to see the process--if nothing else it will help me understand if what the charge (no pun intended) is reasonable.

Last edited by jimcav; 02-23-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Cannonball style run.

You should be able to cut that by 75%.

First. No food stops. Stock a cooler.

Second. No gas breaks. Diesel.

Third. No bathroom breaks. Refill the cooler.

Can I bring two coolers? One for food and drinks, and the other …
Old 02-23-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
We have become expert road trippers criss crossing the upper south and east coast.

Key is to keep moving, eat in the car, and make stops combined. We'll tend to stop for 10ish minutes every 2-3 hours for gas, bathroom, and letting the dogs out quickly. It's honestly easier to commit the full day in the car than deal with stopping overnight somewhere when we have 2 dogs, plus a bike on the back of the car.

At the end of the day it's about the destination not the trip for us. We'd rather have that extra day where we're going than driving slower or stopping en route.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
At the end of the day it's about the destination not the trip for us. We'd rather have that extra day where we're going than driving slower or stopping en route.
There's a lot of middle ground between stopping for less than an hour and adding an extra day.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:22 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Bricking? In what context are you referring?
There have been multiple reports. An EVA charger frying a rivian got a lot of notice recently, but apparently some bolt owners have also had the same problem. The Rivian owner couldn't get the vehicle disconnected from the charger for some time. This is all a simple google search away.

I will admit the most common complaint about EVA is that a lot of their chargers don't work.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of middle ground between stopping for less than an hour and adding an extra day.
Not really, 900ish miles is around 14 hours in the car and as you get above that, you're adding more evening darkness and it becomes unsafe to stay awake longer. This means an overnight stop and a second day on the road.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Not really, 900ish miles is around 14 hours in the car and as you get above that, you're adding more evening darkness and it becomes unsafe to stay awake longer. This means an overnight stop and a second day on the road.
I think there's an ample amount of research that indicates it's safer to take more breaks when driving long distances.
Old 02-23-2023, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It’s the way to go; especially if you can swap drivers. Swapping every two-three hours so the non driver can zone out and not focus on the road makes long distance driving much easier.
Old 02-23-2023, 01:27 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Marathon driving... Many a NJ to KY/TN and FLA straight thru early on. Not to mention motor cycle NJ to Old Quebec City and south for Blue grass parkway weekends etc.

In 2002 I made two trips from NJ to TN pulling 22.5 trailer moving us to NashVegas. Need a 45" trailer, so two trips. 2nd trip solo, well with a lot of CB yammering...

Funny as I got older and afforded nicer more comfortable cars, I tolerate long trips less and less. ;O

Get me to the martini on time is my trip moniker anymore. Or was before I quit drinkin... Now get me to the hot shower. 400 mile limit/day I guess...
Old 02-23-2023, 01:52 PM

I have no idea about feasibility in this particular case (see here and below), but I remain convinced that major innovations will happen, making EVs more efficient, more convenient, more affordable, and therefore more practicable. I suspect the same is not true, at least not to the same degree, for ICEs.

https://www.anl.gov/article/new-desi...the-lithiumion

Last edited by username; 02-23-2023 at 03:55 PM.