Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-01-2017, 08:05 AM

KJM what you're relaying sounds like the people on the street had what's known as "normalcy bias". It's a very interesting subject to look into.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
What I can't get out of my mind is how much worse this could have been. It's bad enough. But just think if he just woahed up at Chambers, Warren, etc., enough to get through each intersection. Unstopped, he could have gone all the way to Battery Park.
He was also driving there at a really low volume time. Rush hour hadn't started. Had he been near Penn Station at that time or two hours later, he could have done much worse just running a red light into pedestrian traffic. I'm not sure what this guy's motive was or what he was thinking. He certainly was not going for maximum damage.

I'm glad they got him alive.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's pretty much why I won't even respond in threads like this till days later when they usually get locked anyway. I worked in a news room, small town TV news, but we had an international incident one day and the so called 'reporting' from the big news networks was all about getting something first and fast and the facts don't matter till it's all cleaned up.
Good point. Early on, one of the networks was saying it was a result of 'road rage.' I see road rage regularly and it doesn't end up like this. It's obvious what this was. Very sad that it happened. Prayers for the victims and their families.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I'm also glad he didn't have hatchets or knives with him. I've seen incidents of this in the Middle East where they use a vehicle to hit people and then jump out and go after others with edged weapons. William
just reported that the perp had multiple knives...some found in the truck, others outside it...

luckily he didn't use them to increase the carnage.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:47 PM

Sad. My heart goes out to those killed, hurt, and affected. This has stunned the cycling community of NYC.

Right after 9/11 I moved here in 2002. Several times a week I rode that path where the people were killed yesterday. I rode down, along the Hudson, stopped my bike where they were working on "the pit" where the twin towers stood, said a prayer, and then rode down to the bottom of Manhattan where I could stop, look out at Ellis Island, and think of my Grandparents and their journey here. ...... but this is just my story of that path. It's too much for me to think about this, or make sense of it, or what it means. It's just sad.

The path was always hectic with walkers, runners, cyclists, skateboarders, and every now and then a doggie or two. It was seen as a safe place.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:38 AM

NEW YORK — The man convicted of killing eight people by driving a truck on a New York bike path in 2017 will serve life in prison without a chance for parole as punishment, after a federal jury could not reach a unanimous decision on whether to sentence him to death.

The jury in the death penalty phase of the federal case against Sayfullo Saipov, who was convicted of the killings in January, had heard emotional testimony from relatives of victims and survivors at U.S. District Court in Manhattan.

Separate article:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/13/us/ve...ker/index.html
Old 03-14-2023, 07:18 AM

Took 5 years to get to this point? That's just crazy. Good, honestly the death penalty is the easy way out. Solitary confinement at least 22 hours a day is well deserved.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:59 AM

Manhattan U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said in a statement that Saipov, 35, was motivated by devotion to the Islamic State when he purposely drove a 6,000-pound vehicle onto the path and “proudly maintained” that conviction afterward, including during his trial.

Jurors weighed the federal government’s case in favor of death for Saipov, which included prosecutors saying he hoped to become part of the Islamic State militant group, planned the attack and showed no remorse after the killings on Oct. 31, 2017.
Saipov was convicted of 28 counts, including murder.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Took 5 years to get to this point? That's just crazy.
Didn't matter. He was in custody, already wasting his life away.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:58 PM

This may or may not be a popular opinion, but I am glad that the wheels of justice continue to turn, much too slow for these instances where it seems "cut and dried", but they usually work out "right" and I would rather that when they occasionally err, it is in such a way that an innocent person goes unpunished than the other way around.