Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2023, 05:56 PM

Campy 8 Speed Group Value

All,
Trying to figure out the value of this group I got - wheels not pictured but campy record hubs laced to omega rims in great shape. Also interested in what year it may be from.

I also got a NOS 8 speed titanium cassette - any ideas?

Not sure if I am going to sell or throw on my merckx frame I have hanging in the basement.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:14 PM

Hi there, what you have there, I believe, is a mix bag of very nice vintage Campy parts.

The crank is C-record and there should be a date code behind the arms that needs to be decoded, but probably 1989'ish. The brake-set looks to be Chorus of the same vintage. The derailleur set looks to be C-record with syncro shifter.

It is a very nice "mix" gruppo overall and IMO very worthy of your vintage build.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:11 AM
Proud Grandpa

Laser etched crank logo, no group name on rear der...pretty sure that makes it 1993/1994. Brakes look like Chorus, 1993..
BUT titanium 8s cogset was for only 2 years, 1996/1997 and would fit ONLY on a specific 1996 titanium axled rear hub with an alloy free hub body. Not the same FHB as 1997 Record 9s FHB..small differences.
They modified the FHB for 9s, made a Record Ti 9s subset for one year then went to a OS aluminum axle in 1998.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0023960_campagnolo-record-titanium-hub-set-silver.jpg (21.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 03-15-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Laser etched crank logo, no group name on rear der...pretty sure that makes it 1993/1994. Brakes look like Chorus, 1993..
BUT titanium 8s cogset was for only 2 years, 1996/1997 and would fit ONLY on a specific 1996 titanium axled rear hub with an alloy free hub body. Not the same FHB as 1997 Record 9s FHB..small differences.
They modified the FHB for 9s, made a Record Ti 9s subset for one year then went to a OS aluminum axle in 1998.
OP - wondering why its in a much older campy box (the white ones with blue text)
Old 03-15-2023, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDollarsign View Post
OP - wondering why its in a much older campy box (the white ones with blue text)
Dunno...The boxes in 90s were silver. Maybe very early 90s white..don't remember.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:51 AM

My vote is to keep it and use it. I just got done building up an Italian beauty with similar parts.

This will be at least the 4th bike I've had and run with Campagnolo 8-speed, great stuff.

You can even run modern wheels with them if you want. Get a 9 speed veloce cassette, drop off the largest cog, switch out the spacers for the ones with your 8 speed cassette and Viola, you now have a 8 speed Campagnolo cassette that will fit and index on a modern Campagnolo freehub.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:28 PM
Go Sox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
My vote is to keep it and use it. I just got done building up an Italian beauty with similar parts.

This will be at least the 4th bike I've had and run with Campagnolo 8-speed, great stuff.

You can even run modern wheels with them if you want. Get a 9 speed veloce cassette, drop off the largest cog, switch out the spacers for the ones with your 8 speed cassette and Viola, you now have a 8 speed Campagnolo cassette that will fit and index on a modern Campagnolo freehub.
We’re the blue spacers 8 speed? I think I still have some of those in a bag somewhere.