Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2023, 08:33 AM

Riding in Hallandale Beach Area

I'm seeking advice on riding (and running) around Hallandale Beach, Florida. Strava heat maps are looking very linear, so I would appreciate hearing from locals or anyone who has experience in the area.

I'm also looking for recommendations on how to build up my Trek Domane for Florida riding, particularly regarding wheelsets and gearing. I'm used to riding with a compact and 32/34 in NYC/9W, so any advice on gearing up for Florida would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for advice you can offer.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:01 AM

That's about 200 miles south of me...and haven't been there in a while. But I can't think of any places to ride where you won't be riding with considerable traffic.

And it's flatter there than here, so you won't need any climbing gears except to cross bridges over the inland waterway.

Running might be a better (and safer) option.

We have paved trails around here, don't know about there. I am thinking here is a popular park with some gravel riding just south of there.

Last edited by Ralph; 03-14-2023 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dired View Post
I'm seeking advice on riding (and running) around Hallandale Beach, Florida. Strava heat maps are looking very linear, so I would appreciate hearing from locals or anyone who has experience in the area.

I'm also looking for recommendations on how to build up my Trek Domane for Florida riding, particularly regarding wheelsets and gearing. I'm used to riding with a compact and 32/34 in NYC/9W, so any advice on gearing up for Florida would be helpful.

Thank you in advance for advice you can offer.
I lived there for a long time.
Hallandale is south of Port Everglades so riding directly up to Ft. Lauderdale is do-able but traffic can be sketchy. You can ride up A1A to the Dania Beach Bridge and come back down through Hollywood for a shorter loop.
You can also take A1A down to Miami but again I am not sure of your tolerance for dense traffic.

If you are willing to drive a bit there are a lot of options:

You can park across from The Galleria on Sunrise Blvd in Fort Lauderdale then ride over the bridge onto A1A.. you can basically go as far north as you want to Palm Beach and beyond. Bike friendly due to the large amount of road cyclists. It's basically flat and fast so big gearing works.

If you head west there are a bunch of Group Rides. Look into Bigwheel Cycles shop rides. Westin Flyers too... that's a fast group.

A lot of great gravel too on the Everglades Levee trail. You can roll out from Markham Park onto the levee. Over a hundred miles of flat gravel.. great route.

You are probably under geared for the big group rides but there are a lot of options.

Feel free to DM if you have questions..

I might ask the return favor for routes up in Westchester.

Enjoy the sunshine.

Artie
Old 03-15-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcolumbus View Post
I lived there for a long time.
Hallandale is south of Port Everglades so riding directly up to Ft. Lauderdale is do-able but traffic can be sketchy. You can ride up A1A to the Dania Beach Bridge and come back down through Hollywood for a shorter loop.
You can also take A1A down to Miami but again I am not sure of your tolerance for dense traffic.

If you are willing to drive a bit there are a lot of options:

You can park across from The Galleria on Sunrise Blvd in Fort Lauderdale then ride over the bridge onto A1A.. you can basically go as far north as you want to Palm Beach and beyond. Bike friendly due to the large amount of road cyclists. It's basically flat and fast so big gearing works.

If you head west there are a bunch of Group Rides. Look into Bigwheel Cycles shop rides. Westin Flyers too... that's a fast group.

A lot of great gravel too on the Everglades Levee trail. You can roll out from Markham Park onto the levee. Over a hundred miles of flat gravel.. great route.

You are probably under geared for the big group rides but there are a lot of options.

Feel free to DM if you have questions..

I might ask the return favor for routes up in Westchester.

Enjoy the sunshine.

Artie
Thank you for sharing! Good to know that there are some more options. This is a long term project so I'll be looking for a grouppo with bigger gearing. Happy to share local routes here.