Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I was going to say the same thing about the company breeching their side of a contract, but it costs a lot more than $5k to get a judgement saying that. Although it's possible a lawyer would write a letter for a reasonable price and it might work.

I also imagine the employment agreement is pretty one-sided towards the company.
Probably an arbitration clause anyway.

Best just to move on. Repay the bonus, file your taxes and look ahead.
My experience is lawsuits suck the life out of you. The only ones who advocate are usually someone who has not been involved in a lawsuit.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:16 PM

Request a corrected W-2 and pay it back.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Request a corrected W-2 and pay it back.
Company refused. Sicced a very junior lawyer on her. A real idiot. Didn't know the difference between W2 and W4s...

So she filed her taxes requesting a credit of the federal and state taxes paid (there's an option for exactly this, the Section 1341 Claim of Right.) She should get the tax portion back, although this does raise her chances of being audited...or at least asked for some supporting documentation (which she has).

On a cheerier note...she sent the reimbursement check to the company office (a small suite) USPS Priority Mail, adult signature required.

Nobody was there to sign for it, so USPS (claims that they) left a "pickup at post office" notification.

10 days later the envelope still hasn't been picked up so she requested a redelivery. if that fails, the check will be returned to her.

She might just sit on it for a while at that point.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-12-2023, 08:43 AM
Robin (she/her)

Def a lot of knowledgable ppl here! I was hired by what my gut was telling me was a crap company and my gut was spot on.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tz779 View Post
Def a lot of knowledgable ppl here! I was hired by what my gut was telling me was a crap company and my gut was spot on.
Trust your gut.

I work with enterprise sales organizations to improve sales results and vowed I'd never work for a tech-centric company like Akamai (built by engineers, sold by engineers, to engineers...). When I joined [the leading company in search] three years ago I had a sneaking suspicion that it was the same type of place.

I was right.

350 people in sales support related activities all just meeting a corporate checklist item...didn't matter what we did or if we delivered any results. Provisioned and managed accordingly. Guess which group got hit hard in the Q1 layoff. Got a nice severance and am now looking for a sales-centric organization...(surprisingly few in tech!)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-12-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Trust your gut.

I work with enterprise sales organizations to improve sales results and vowed I'd never work for a tech-centric company like Akamai (built by engineers, sold by engineers, to engineers...). When I joined [the leading company in search] three years ago I had a sneaking suspicion that it was the same type of place.

I was right.

350 people in sales support related activities all just meeting a corporate checklist item...didn't matter what we did or if we delivered any results. Provisioned and managed accordingly. Guess which group got hit hard in the Q1 layoff. Got a nice severance and am now looking for a sales-centric organization...(surprisingly few in tech!)
Heh I took a job with Akamai last August after 10+ years at LogMeIn.... Should have thought more about it at the time. Now following this thread closely re: paying back a sign on bonus