Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 09:47 AM

Custom 650b Bike Input?

Looking to get a 650b bike built for commuting/light touring etc. Right now, these are the general ideas I have kicking around:

- compatible with 1x12 force AXS, but also able to switch to single speed for training/cruising.
- 650b rim brake, hopefully clearance for 47mms
- Direct mount paul racer center pulls (this would require a fork build I assume, so is that something you are willing/able to do?)
- Modular rear dropouts for single speed/fixed or QR
- Stay splitter for belt drive (want not need)
- Provisions for fenders and small rear rack

It has been suggested that I consider disc brakes for this build to avoid the custom fork route and simplifing single speed option and tensioning the chain/belt. I have disc brakes on my Bingham and they stop well, but have always had trouble getting caliper alignment just right etc. compared to rim brakes. This may just be something I need to get over, and I have considered going with cable or hybrid disc calipers to eliminate the hydraulic component.

I was also originally thinking aluminum for this build, mostly just because I do not have an AL bike, but now I am back to considering steel....thoughts?

Anyways, just figured I'd throw it out there to get feedback from anyone who has made similar design choices etc.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith View Post
Looking to get a 650b bike built for commuting/light touring etc. Right now, these are the general ideas I have kicking around:

- compatible with 1x12 force AXS, but also able to switch to single speed for training/cruising.
- 650b rim brake, hopefully clearance for 47mms
- Direct mount paul racer center pulls (this would require a fork build I assume, so is that something you are willing/able to do?)
- Modular rear dropouts for single speed/fixed or QR
- Stay splitter for belt drive (want not need)
- Provisions for fenders and small rear rack

It has been suggested that I consider disc brakes for this build to avoid the custom fork route and simplifing single speed option and tensioning the chain/belt. I have disc brakes on my Bingham and they stop well, but have always had trouble getting caliper alignment just right etc. compared to rim brakes. This may just be something I need to get over, and I have considered going with cable or hybrid disc calipers to eliminate the hydraulic component.

I was also originally thinking aluminum for this build, mostly just because I do not have an AL bike, but now I am back to considering steel....thoughts?

Anyways, just figured I'd throw it out there to get feedback from anyone who has made similar design choices etc.
You already know how good Brad Bingham is to work with. My suggestion is the Growtac cable discs. Caliper alignment and no rub set up is just easier than hydros.

Based on my recent experience buying a stock Habanero, I'd talk to them about a custom. Starts at $1,795, hard to beat the price for custom Ti.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Throw out the belt drive requirement and send that list to Paul @ RL and he’ll whip you up a winner. Fork included. That’s what I did.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
You already know how good Brad Bingham is to work with. My suggestion is the Growtac cable discs. Caliper alignment and no rub set up is just easier than hydros.

Based on my recent experience buying a stock Habanero, I'd talk to them about a custom. Starts at $1,795, hard to beat the price for custom Ti.
Cool, thanks, never heard of those brakes before, but they look really nice. You like these better than Paul Klampers?

And, I should have specified, this is with a different builder, not Brad, and looking to branch out of Ti this time
Old 03-13-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Cool, thanks, never heard of those brakes before, but they look really nice. You like these better than Paul Klampers?

And, I should have specified, this is with a different builder, not Brad, and looking to branch out of Ti this time
I've never even laid eyes on Klampers, but we have a thread going here on the Growtacs, and Path Less Pedaled did a nice video comparing to Klampers and Juin Tech. I only have three rides on the Growtacs on the Habanero, but I really like them, and am putting a set on my Bingham. Sold by Velo Orange, and TODAY MAR 13th IS THE LAST DAY OF THEIR 30% OFF SALE.

Guessing Klampers will outlast me, but they are really expensive, heavy, and have a very weird cable routing layout.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:31 AM

I'd give Mariposa up north some consideration.

I have one of their bikes, but it's a hair further into the touring spectrum than the commuter spectrum. It's built up with fenders, Paul Racer brakes, 650 x 42mm tires, and integrated racks/lighting. There are attachment points in the racks for the fenders along with two attachment points on the fork. I love having very solidly mounted fenders. They've been at the randonneur/commuting/touring game long enough that you don't need to worry about something coming up late in the discussion as an afterthought.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddtwenty2 View Post
I'd give Mariposa up north some consideration.

I have one of their bikes, but it's a hair further into the touring spectrum than the commuter spectrum. It's built up with fenders, Paul Racer brakes, 650 x 42mm tires, and integrated racks/lighting. There are attachment points in the racks for the fenders along with two attachment points on the fork. I love having very solidly mounted fenders. They've been at the randonneur/commuting/touring game long enough that you don't need to worry about something coming up late in the discussion as an afterthought.
Yep. This is right in their wheelhouse.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:41 AM

I had a set of Juintec's and while I really liked their look, feel and functionality they only lasted a year or so. I've gone back to Avid BB7's. They are great value and just work. Definitely were a pain to get aligned this time around.

If you want steel and rim brakes maybe check out Elephant bikes. They do custom and I recall them exploring the idea of a bike using long reach center pull brakes that was similar to my NFE.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:00 AM

If you want to go cheap, Marino in Peru should be able to handle the frame. I've looked at something similar.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:03 AM

Thanks all, I went ahead and ordered a set of the Equal calipers from VO while the sale was going on. It seems like that may be the best approach and the reviews indicate great stopping power and ease of setup/mainatinence, so thanks!

I already have a deposit in with Nate Zukas that was for a separate project I ended up bailing on, so I'll be tasking him with the build
Old 03-13-2023, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks all, I went ahead and ordered a set of the Equal calipers from VO while the sale was going on. It seems like that may be the best approach and the reviews indicate great stopping power and ease of setup/mainatinence, so thanks!

I already have a deposit in with Nate Zukas that was for a separate project I ended up bailing on, so I'll be tasking him with the build
Cool! He has some of the best paint schemes out there!
Old 03-13-2023, 11:39 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
I really like his bikes, based on what I see online
Old 03-13-2023, 11:43 AM

Agreed, I have loved a lot of the work hes done in the past and my parents live in GA (we recently moved back to NC also) so it will be cool to have something from a SE builder.