Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 08:35 AM

I cannot doubt your experience. You feel what you feel.

And I feel almost the complete opposite. My carbon gravel bike with 40 mm tires at 28 psi pressure rode more harshly that my Ti road bike with 25 mm tires and 60 psi pressure.

Heck, in a more apples to apples comparison: my carbon road bike with 28 mm tires and 58 psi pressire rides so mush more harshly than my Ti bike with the same width/brand tires with the same pressure.

I am not saying that all Ti bikes and all carbon bikes follow a stereotypical ride quality. In my mind, yes, wider tires do give you more comfort. But frame material is not to be discounted.

Of course, your mileage has varied. And I respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've got one carbon frame with dropped seat stays and two without. They all ride great with 28-30mm tires and low air pressures. Eventually, people will realize that most of the ride quality is in the tires. Run high pressure tires and you're almost guaranteed to get a harsh ride.

I switched from my bike with 28mm tires and 19mm IW rims that I run at 62/65 psi to my other bike with 28mm tires on 25mm IW rims with 52/55 psi and really noticed the smoother ride. I'll have all 25mm IW in a couple of weeks. Assigning ride quality to frame material or tube configuration will become a thing of the past.

My Yoeleo bikes have beefier chain stays and main triangle but ride smoother than my Cinelli Superstar, mainly due to the tire and wheel difference.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:47 AM
i ride to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
It depends on whatyou are after.

I once had a hydro disc etap bike with carbon hoops, now have 1in steerer tube, rim brakes, cables and tubed tires and I like it much more. Some would say is a step backwards but to me it is just what I want. Easy to work on, cheap to replace parts, nothing to charge, its great
Old 03-13-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post

And I feel almost the complete opposite. My carbon gravel bike with 40 mm tires at 28 psi pressure rode more harshly that my Ti road bike with 25 mm tires and 60 psi pressure.

Heck, in a more apples to apples comparison: my carbon road bike with 28 mm tires and 58 psi pressire rides so mush more harshly than my Ti bike with the same width/brand tires with the same pressure.

I am not saying that all Ti bikes and all carbon bikes follow a stereotypical ride quality. In my mind, yes, wider tires do give you more comfort. But frame material is not to be discounted.

Just wondering ... how were you able to ride your carbon and ti bikes with just tires, and not without saddles, seatposts, handlebars and stem? After all, after the tires these are the next largest contributors to ride compliance.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:44 AM

I've never changed bars, seat posts or saddles and expected a difference in ride quality, but all of my bikes have the same saddle, and use carbon bars and carbon seat posts. The posts on my Yoeleo frames seem beefier than a 27.2mm round post. They also have seat stays that first intersect the seat tube below the top tube, but extend on up to the top tube. I assume that it's all cosmetic.

Are their really claims that certain carbon frames are designed to produce a smooth ride?

All I can tell you is that the ride is amazingly smooth with 28mm tires, 25mm IW rims and 52/56 psi.

https://www.yoeleobike.com/
Old 03-13-2023, 10:23 AM

Well, from a weight perspective, the Caad will likely be heavier when complete.

The Time ride and geo is great, at the least I’d hold on to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post

I wonder how you came up with those tire pressures. All are quite low compared to what the Zipp pressure calculator would suggest. Using a 140 lb rider, it suggests 72 for 25mm tires and 42psi for 40mm tires. To be more accurate, rim width is needed. Even using 25mm IW hookless rims, 31/34 is suggested for the 40mm tires. That's close if you're as light as I am.