Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Another good tip, thanks Adam. I think once she has a good handle on a fit, she can then see if a stock bike like the R300 will work, or if she'd be better served by a custom.
You're welcome Marc!
Old 08-08-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
You're welcome Marc!
looking more closely at the geo, one of the potential advantages of the R300 is that it has a 70mm BB drop in the S size. That means with a 650Bx38 tire there is still a BB height of over 10 inches (about 263mm).
Old 08-08-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Thanks, David, good suggestion. I was thinking of Seven because they are local, and they do custom Ti without a long queue. And I know they have been good at helping women (my friend Harriet Fell had a Seven built about 3 years ago). So I called and spoke to Patria and I'm going to connect my sister with her.
Excellent! Patria is great to work with. Harriet Fell is a legend! I remember reading a blog post (or maybe on the Paceline podcast) from Patria about working with Harriet on her new Seven.

David
Old 03-11-2023, 01:17 PM

I'm resurrecting this thread as my sister appears to be ready to re-engage. Since I started it, I bought and built up a Habanero frame for myself, so thinking that they would be a great source to find a bike for my sister, whether it's a stock frame or a custom.

This is what I'm thinking. I don't see her on dirt roads, let alone gnarly gravel. I like the idea of a wider tire for stability over crappy pavement and comfort. Continental is making a 650Bx32 GP5000 TR tire, and using 650B would give more toe clearance and better standover. Definitely running tubes though, because I know the bike will just hang on a hook in the cold months.

Because of arthritis in her hands, I'm thinking Di2. What happens to the battery in a Di2 bike when the bike isn't ridden for 6 months?

Brakes - I think this will be a dry conditions only bike. Again, thinking of small arthritic hands, what's the best choice? I'm really liking the Growtac cable discs. I also really like the Dura Ace 9000 calipers on my Firefly. You folks who don't have an obsession with #discbrakehate, what do you think would be a good choice for this rider, in terms of low hand pressure? Prefer cable brakes because again, hangs on a hook for months at a time, don't want to have to bleed brakes.

If rim brake, what is a good carbon fork choice that fits the 650Bx32 tire? I would tend to go with thru axle but am open minded here. Would also go alloy rims - what would be a good 650B alloy rim for a 32mm tire? Or complete wheelset?

If disc brake, I would consider a carbon rim wheelset. Maybe Bitex hubs - what's a good and affordable hooked rim (or wheelset?) I have a couple of 650B wheelsets from BTLOS but they are hookless and I'd prefer she has a hooked rim in case someone pumps the tires up too high.

Input appreciated.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:29 PM

650b conversion on the fierte? Maybe + upright bars?
Old 03-11-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
650b conversion on the fierte? Maybe + upright bars?
Serottas of that vintage are really limited in tire width.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:34 PM

In my opinion, below are ideas for owning a road bike for your 67-year-old sister with wide-ish tires and hydro disc brakes:
Consider a "gravel bike": A gravel bike is a versatile bike that's designed for both on-road and off-road use, making it perfect for a variety of terrain. They often come with wider tires, which can provide more stability and comfort on rougher surfaces.
Look for a bike with hydraulic disc brakes: Hydraulic disc brakes provide better stopping power and modulation than traditional rim brakes, which can be especially helpful for older riders who may need more control when braking.
Choose a bike with a more upright riding position: An upright riding position can be more comfortable for older riders and can help reduce strain on the neck and back. Look for a bike with a more relaxed geometry that allows for a comfortable riding position.
Opt for a carbon frame with vibration-damping features: Carbon frames are lightweight and provide a smoother ride compared to aluminum or steel frames. Look for a bike with vibration-damping features, such as special seat posts or frame designs, to further enhance comfort.
Consider a bike with a step-through frame: Step-through frames make it easier to get on and off the bike, which can be helpful for older riders who may have limited flexibility or mobility.
Test ride several bikes before making a purchase: Make sure to test ride several bikes before making a purchase to find the one that feels the most comfortable and suits your specific needs. Many bike shops offer test rides, so take advantage of this service to find the perfect bike.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:02 PM

I would seriously suggest she jump on a new trike, her hands will love her for it. Hase makes some beauties, w or w/o e-motors. In my neighborhood few older women I know jumped on one (not necessarily this brand) and never looked back.

Due to my situation, I am going to take a look as a compliment.