Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2023, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
I have a couple of bikes set up with full Centaur 11. Everything works reliably. Shifting feels a little mushy and Centaur shifts only shift one cog at a time, but I'm not too picky about that and am happy with the performance. I also appreciate having the 32 in the back when the gradients hit the tween digits and higher.
One higher gear at a time, via the thumb button. Multiple lower gear shifts are possible with the shift lever blade..BUT you know this, just clarifying it for the 's' branded riders...
Old 03-11-2023, 08:44 AM

I use Centaur 10 cassettes exclusively and get good service from them. I have used Veloce cassettes and the only knock I have on them is that the sprockets are all individual. The larger sprockets tend to cut into the freehub. Centaur sprockets (#s 8,9 and 10) are a single unit and don't dig into the freehub.
Old 03-11-2023, 08:56 AM

On my Goodrich I switch between wheels with 35 mm tires mounted and a Centaur 11 spd 12-32 cassette and a set of more traditional road wheels with 28’s and a 11 spd 12-29 Chorus.

In spite of the slightly wider gearing with the Centaur the shifting is equally good.

Which I have to say surprised me a little.
Old 03-12-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Thanks, but I'm not sure the 32 will work with my short cage. I know a 29 does.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll give these a try.
I have tried this (2nd gen 11 speed) - fitting the 12-32 Centaur cassette did not work with the short cage. Hosting 12-29 works just fine with the short cage however. To make the chain long enough to wind around big-to-big it was hanging too loose on small-to-small. The sprocket clearance was fine - it was the tensioner capacity that is the limitation.
For background I have run this bike with 12-25 and 12-29 Chorus cassettes and 50/34 front.

You can swap the cage - I've seen them sold loose for about $90AUD online - or you can just buy a Centaur RD and swap it since they as cheap.