Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2023, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Here is a weird one for you - my Rancilio portafilter has come apart - the threaded rod has disconnected from the grip handle. I can hear the nut rattling inside the handle, so I am sure it will all reconnect, but how to I access that hardware to reattach the two items?

Does the piece with the Rancilio logo pop off, exposing everything? the parts appear in good shape, so I don't want to muscle this stuff and break it (as I have done once or twice in the past).

FYI, the handle is wet - not damaged…
It looks like you have gotten your money's worth with that portafilter! Good to see them so used. I don't know how the handle comes apart but you could always just epoxy the metal stem into the handle. Or you could see this as fate's way of allowing you to buy a new bottomless portafilter.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
OK. I’m sold. The reviews are sterling.

Plus, there’s this review: https://coffeechronicler.com/1zpresso-jx-review/

The guy has a hard-to-place European accent, a full beard, an immaculate haircut, and he’s a “licensed Q Arabica grinder.” I mean, really. If I can’t trust him, who can I trust?
Glad to hear it. It’s one of the best value for money things I’ve ever purchased. I’m quite confident it’ll outlive me.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:43 PM

I’m really curious about the Odyssey Argos…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2023, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
It looks like you have gotten your money's worth with that portafilter! Good to see them so used. I don't know how the handle comes apart but you could always just epoxy the metal stem into the handle. Or you could see this as fate's way of allowing you to buy a new bottomless portafilter.
Ha! I shouldn’t be so cheap. I inherited the entire machine and have done nothing but a basic service on it. The portafilter looks worse than it is - it’s actually in fine shape.

I will try gluing the handle, but knowing that the hardware is in there to secure it just pisses me off! There must be a way to expose the nut that secures it?!

Last edited by d_douglas; 02-17-2023 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:25 PM

Bump for some coffee nerd on here to help me fix the portafilter without gluing it! I know that someone knows here....
Old 02-17-2023, 03:27 PM

PS I splurged on a fancy coffee this morning on a walk with my lady and was marvelling that the commercial lever pull espresso machine - it was a thing of beauty. Its pretty cool how it builds pressure and releases that black gold .

two coffees --> $11
Old 02-17-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
PS I splurged on a fancy coffee this morning on a walk with my lady and was marvelling that the commercial lever pull espresso machine - it was a thing of beauty. Its pretty cool how it builds pressure and releases that black gold .

two coffees --> $11
I could justify paying that for a manual lever machine... this morning i got a plain drip coffee at a Boston coffee shop and it was almost $6!

In Italy, its standard that an espresso shot is 1 euro and a big, delicious cappuccino is <2 euros.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:42 PM

All the Rancilio PFs I've seen DO have a "backdoor", a piece on the end that slides out. They are often glued in place in shops, but an exacto knife can usually help cut through that.

Quote:
Bump for some coffee nerd on here to help me fix the portafilter without gluing it! I know that someone knows here....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PF.jpg (62.1 KB, 335 views)
Old 02-26-2023, 11:40 PM

Eureka Silenzio and Rancilio Silvia

I purchased this machine and grinder last year and it works fairly well. I think it is a decent machine for someone wanting something decent without breaking the bank. A pid temperature control unit could be installed as an upgrade down the road and I think for a couple hundred dollars it would be a good investment compared to spending almost double on a machine that is temperature controlled that way. If someone wants a really high quality espresso a good grinder really makes a difference. This Eureka Mignon Silenzio is a great value and operates very quietly. I find it pretty important to be able to make a coffee without waking up the entire household early in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (85.1 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by Deanhorsfall; 02-26-2023 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupless View Post
What they said.

I have a $129 1Zpresso JX that I use multiple times a day and it's replaced my fancier, louder, and waaaaay messier Fellow Ode along with a marriage-endingly-loud but less messy Barratza Encore.

30g of beans takes about 30 seconds to grind, it's got a nice reassuring heft, and feels (to me) precise and high-end. The effort isn't bad at all and I never get annoyed by having to do it. There is no mess. Just tap the two halves together over the trash and you're good.

The numbers on the dial are on the smallish side but I can live with that.
I went to look at the 1ZEspresso web site and some Youtubers and took the plunge on the JX, on sale at $116. For anyone using one of these with the Aeropress, what setting are you using? The instructions suggest 16-18, and on 18 I find that it takes a LOT of pressure on the Aeropress, way more than the grind that is recommended on the Baratza Encore for the Aeropress. I think that the switch to the JX is a good idea for this 140 pounder who needs upper body exercise
Old 02-27-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I went to look at the 1ZEspresso web site and some Youtubers and took the plunge on the JX, on sale at $116. For anyone using one of these with the Aeropress, what setting are you using? The instructions suggest 16-18, and on 18 I find that it takes a LOT of pressure on the Aeropress, way more than the grind that is recommended on the Baratza Encore for the Aeropress. I think that the switch to the JX is a good idea for this 140 pounder who needs upper body exercise
A lot of Coffee snobs prefer the manual grinder over the electric ones because they say that electric ones add some heat to grounds while it's grinding, and they don't like that. But, having said that, I have an electric grinder and a manual grinder, and the ground coffee is only lukewarm coming out of the electric grinder vs the manual grinder that's maybe 3 to 5 degrees cooler, and I can't taste any difference, there are too many other variables in coffee that can change the flavor a tad more than the heat of the grounds, so I'm not sure how much influence luke warm grounds is doing to the taste of coffee, I would dare to say none, it's just psycho babble, sort of like when people go and buy $2,000 a foot speaker cable for their home stereo systems. Maybe someone here with more sensitive taste buds can tell us if they can taste the difference between 5 degrees of ground temperature.

I will say this about your question if it's taking too much hand pressure to press that Aeropress plunger then yes, your grind is too fine, experiment a bit, go one step coarser and retry, and keep doing that till you can press the plunger comfortably. The AeroPress is supposed to use a medium-fine grind, which in between espresso and medium, so start there.

I don't even care for the AeroPress anymore, once I went with a (2 cup) Bialetti Brikka Moka Pot, I never used my AeroPress again, though the filters for the AeroPress just happen to fit perfectly under the seal against the metal screen, I use 2 thick, but it takes all the sentiment out of the coffee using those filters. 1 filter didn't stay in place under pressure, but two work great, and I can simply rinse the filter bottom off without removing the filters under running water and reuse them about 12 to 15 times. I don't think those filters will fit in larger Brikka models, though I did recently run into a place that sold those filters for any Bialetti Moka pot.

The crazy thing is, there isn't much taste difference between the AeroPress and the French Press if the French Press coffee is filtered. I don't like gunk in my coffee so I remove it. The really odd thing is, by happen chance the small French Press I bought some years back was the same size plunger as the AeroPress filters! So guess what I did? yup, I removed the nut, installed the filter after making a small hole in the filter, put it all back together again and voila, I automatically filter my French Press style coffee as I press it. Of course, removing some of the oil from the coffee being filtered brought the flavor to the same taste as the AeroPress. The AeroPress filter in the French Press so far has lasted over 100 uses, just rinse the plunger thing and you're good to go. Of course, you can make your own filter for a French Press by taking a filter from some sort of maker, like a basket shaped filter, laying it out flat, put the plunger over it, trace around it with a marker of some sort, cut it out and you got a filter, you could do the same thing any Moka pot, just remove the screen trace it, cut it, and you're done.

I use my AeroPress now for when I make Turkish coffee and it's done brewing, I pour the coffee into the AeroPress and press the plunger to filter out all the sentiment that is in Turkish coffee at the bottom of the cup.

I'm kind of filter nuts I guess, but I put a number 1 cone filter into my pour-over maker, put the coffee into it, pour the hot water over it slowly, and drink. Sounds weird, but it comes out really smooth, smoother than without the filter, and pour-over is known for smooth flavor, now it's even smoother.

So my favorite way of making coffee is the Brikka Moka style which brews it darn close to what restaurant style espresso is (the old, or regular style Moka does not), Pour-Over, and Turkish coffee. Turkish, or Bosnian (same thing) coffee is quite a bit different from any other coffee, which is why I like it.

sorry for the rambling.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm a nitwit. I didn't realize that the 1ZPresso has 30 clicks per rotation but that some grinds use over three rotations - DUH! So I was using 18 clicks instead of 48. Turkish coffee fine. 48 clicks way easier to grind and press!
Old 03-29-2023, 07:05 PM

Scored this Gaggia Classic for $25, cleaned and rebuilt it with some temperature and pressure control mods.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
So my favorite way of making coffee is the Brikka Moka style which brews it darn close to what restaurant style espresso is (the old, or regular style Moka does not), Pour-Over, and Turkish coffee. Turkish, or Bosnian (same thing) coffee is quite a bit different from any other coffee, which is why I like it.

sorry for the rambling.
Thanks for bringing up the Brika I had never heard of it
Looks quite interesting
I read more about it here
Old 11-20-2023, 07:46 AM

I am thinking to get a moccamaster to replace the basic Mr Coffee I use when I am making coffee for more than myself (when I just do a pourover).

Thermal carafe? I am thinking to get the glass so I can see how much coffee is left. Or really how much I have consumed...

Is the moccamaster all that?

https://www.amazon.com/deal/8c08bfcc...bfcc_dt_sl6_da

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso