Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 06:35 AM

OT: Water Rowers

Anyone have any experience with or use one of the better water rowers.
I am looking for something to to keep me in better physical condition over the winter as I do not ride in the winter and Im not a fan of indoor rides.
It looks like something that would be low impact and still get pretty much a whole body workout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCbt5sXkhFw
Old 02-25-2023, 06:55 AM

Just to say there are lots and lots and lots of threads here on rowing machines…

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=273889
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230266

Last edited by schwa86; 02-25-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:57 AM
Huffing Mastik

I have the exact unit depicted in the video. Have owned it for about 7 years and love it. A good total body workout and resistance increases proportional to effort. Durable, easy to store vertically if you need to, etc. My use case is similar to yours - rowing occasionally part of my non-cycling fitness. I highly recommend it for this.

Dedicated rowers tend to like the Concept 2 machines that allow them to mechanically alter resistance instead of relying on the simple proportionality of the water drum.

I think that's the general differentiation: water rower for fitness use, an erg for the hard core rower looking for dry land training.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:56 AM

IME WaterRowers are never used anywhere near as much as C2s, so consider buying used. I did, kept it for over a decade, got 90% back when I sold it. They’re handsome, curious things that can really liven up a dinner party. The tank and water do not like UV light, so you may* consider using it as a towel rack when not in use.

*will, inevitably
Old 02-25-2023, 08:06 AM

WR vs. C2

Had the waterrower many years ago. We lived in a townhouse with an open top floor atrium so we wanted a rower that was quiet. It was. It looked great too. That said, I thought the "action" left a lot to be desired and when we moved, the tank itself got damaged a little and started to leak.

We sold it quite easily and bought a Concept2 that lives in the basement. The C2 is a workhorse. Louder than the waterrower, but with better action and it its used by everyone. Other than the occasional wipedown, I haven't had any major maintenance issues over the many years I've owned it. Highly recommended, and easy enough to move around if that is a consideration.

m_b
Old 02-25-2023, 08:20 AM
Administrator

I can't imagine any good or compelling reason to buy anything other than a Concept-2 for a rowing machine.
Old 02-25-2023, 08:30 AM

Dynamic rower

I’d suggest that people consider one of the better dynamic machines.
I used a C2 for years…before needing a few back surgeries.
Opted to avoid the repetition and strain until I found myself really missing the workout. A colleague, that was a crew coach for years, recommended I consider a dynamic machine. They’re a little more demanding with regards to technique, but also a bit easier on your back.
I went with an RP3, mostly because I found a good deal on a second hand unit.
It wouldn’t add to the decor or elegance of a space, per se, but I highly recommend it.
It feels very similar in build-quality as the C2 and the workout is fantastic.
I’m certain I will have years and years and years of use from the machine.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:44 AM

Depends what your needs are. We have waterrower, wife uses it 50 min a day. Quietness is big issue as is size. Also they are manufactured next town over so like supporting local business.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:02 AM
Are you thinking....

Our compelling reason to get a WaterRower over a Concept 2 was looks. As others have noted, it's quiet. I'm up a couple of hours before the rest of the house and if the weather isn't cooperating (a rarity here in SoCal, but today is an example), I can get a good workout in without disturbing anyone else. A Concept 2 would likely exile me to the garage, but our WaterRower is furniture.

And again, as others have noted, if you row competitively or feel the need for the most sophisticated setup, Concept 2 is probably better. If you row for exercise and appreciate craftsmanship, hard to argue with a WaterRower. But neither is worth a damn is you don't use it.

Also, buy used. I looked a long time and found ours for $400. Not much to break, tank excepted, and parts are available.

Last edited by T-Crush; 02-25-2023 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Converting to English.
Old 02-25-2023, 11:10 AM

My 67 year-old wife uses our Water Rower for 30 minutes every morning while I am often still in bed in the next room. I can't hear the machine through a typical flimsy hollow core door. The results have been excellent and she has never hurt herself using it. She doesn't use the monitor because she watches films and other programs on her iPad while she rows until her Apple Watch tells her 30 minutes are up.
We bought it used from a personal trainer 3+ years ago so we don't know how much use it's had but I'd guess quite a bit and it still looks/works like new. a year ago I noticed a little noise from one of the wheels that positions the seat on the rails and found I could buy a set of 4 from our local dealer or on line from the manufacturer for $10. They sell replacement parts for every part on the machine and have excellent how-to videos on line. We had to take it apart to get it home in my Honda Civic sedan but that was pretty easy as was reassembly and doing this we were very impressed by the design and quality control of every part.
Old 02-25-2023, 04:46 PM
Administrator

C2

Nothing more to be said from this 30+ year of almost daily C2 use person.

W.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Crush View Post
Also, buy used. I looked a long time and found ours for $400. Not much to break, tank excepted, and parts are available.
If you find a used one in need of a new tank, budget ~$300 for a replacement unit. It comes with the paddle and everything installed, and is a pretty simple DIY swap. I had to replace ours after it started weeping after a few years in direct sunlight.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:04 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

I've probably already said this at one of threads linked, above, but what the heck:

1) If you want to do serious workouts and back that up with lots of data from the workout, and strong forum support, then a C2 is the way to go.

2) If you want something that looks more like furniture (say, because you only have space in the living room) and noise is an issue, then go with a water rower.

Either way, you'll find that rowing is a great workout.

Caveat: I have a C2 Model C and use a Model E at the gym, but haven't ever used a water resistance indoor rower.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:41 PM

I ended up picking up one of these for $400 in barely used condition. For the price this way I can see if I am really going to use the thing.
I chose aluminum as it will be in my basement and will be pretty much stationary.
https://www.waterrower.com/us/produc...rowing-machine

Last edited by skiezo; 02-27-2023 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:10 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I ended up picking up one of these for $400 in barely used condition. For the price this was I can see if I am really going to use the thing.
I chose aluminum as it will be in my basement and will be pretty much stationary.
https://www.waterrower.com/us/produc...rowing-machine
Sounds like a good deal.

Now you can fill up the tank and start cranking out 8 minute 2k pieces...

Have fun. ; )