Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 04:07 PM

wow!..looks like the weightweenies have started chiming in!!..
This really has gone past my original intent..I bought a complete bike, a Parlee Chebacco equipped with Sram Rival AXS etap ...I had never bought a complete bike before, always high rep frames (ie. Serotta, Colnago, Looks, Time, Lemond, Ridley's etc. ) and built them the way I wanted them. I tend to like non mainstream bikes generally to see what the accolades are about. I looked at Allied Alfa's, Alchemy, and various Parlee's (Z's and Altum).. the geometries of what were available were a little too stretched and racy for an old man like me, besides, I have some of those.

So this was a first...The Chebacco was a great price, the weight was reasonable, 870/980g + 390g(fork)...the only caveat was a brand (Sram), technology (electronic)) and reportedly heavy drivetrain (Rival AXS eTap). The wheel set and and tires were heavy and the first to go, then the handlebar, stem and seat post, all replaced by lighter and nicer components..Oh, and did mention it also had a "dropper" seat post ( I think it was a pound!)...

Anyway, the intent was and is to build a lighter, all purpose bike that's "ease of use" keeps me interested.
I didn't really have a weight goal but judging from all of the component weight ranges , I hoped the break the sub 17 pound mark..it would take awhile as the cost for Sram components are high and I'm a "buy, sell, trade" kind of guy...half the fun!...
It now looks like I was a little aggressive but I still think I can get close to 17 pounds.

So while I was pondering some of your input , I went out and rode 30 miles of some very crappy chip-seal and some hard packed dirt and gravel through the flat Indian reservation. The Looks would have not strayed on to the dirt and are very stiff on the chip seal...The Chebacco was fast (ease of use) and steady off the road, even with Panaracer smooth tread 35's....
As an aside, the fit and finish of the Chebacco is beautiful and the geometry works as intended.
So, now to get the weight down some more!.......not for speed as much as for ease of use.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:31 PM

At the ripe old age of 76 I'm going to be counting my lucky farts if I'm still pedaling a bike with any authority and not forced into building ships in a bottle with my free time. Personally, I doubt the weight of my bike will be a consideration at that point, but enjoyment will. Check back with me in like 25 years

Chapeau to the OP, you do you
Old 02-25-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
POY..Post of Yesterday...At least the title is appropriate. New WeightWEENIE.

But his $...if he wants to chase grams, groovy.
oh no - my frustration is with every asshat who likes to tell you why cutting weight won't make a difference.
Old 02-26-2023, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
But his goal isn't to lose only 100 g, it's to go from 21 pounds down to 16 pounds (~ 2300 g), which is pretty significant.
Well, it's 'about 2% weight savings of bike and rider..not sure it would make the OP 2% faster. 'About .5mph, all things being equal(which they never really are).
Too many variables.

BUT, the gent enjoys it..weightweenie isn't necessarily pejorative.
Quote:
Anyway, the intent was and is to build a lighter, all purpose bike that's "ease of use" keeps me interested.
If it keeps him interested and on the bike, why not?
Old 02-26-2023, 08:41 AM

These types of calculations just do not make sense. Try doing this calculation with a 25 lb road bike and your percent will still be some abysmally small number. And who here cannot tell the difference in a road bike that weighs 17 lbs versus 25 lbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I always suggest a quick calculation that shows how trivial a 100 gram weight savings is. For example, if the bike and rider weigh 82kg or 82,000 grams, then 100/8200 = .0012 or .12%.

Then think about your body weight compared to that of a pro level cyclist. At my 168cm height, 60kg or 132 pounds is a decent weight, but a pro would be several pounds lighter. I can hit that at the peak of the season, but I'm carrying an extra 5 pounds right now. If I always carried an extra 5 pounds or more, then having a 1 pound lighter bike by spending a bunch of money doesn't make a lot of sense. Get your body in shape first. If you're not competing, the whole weight weenie thing doesn't make much sense.

FWIW, about the only Red part that saves much weight is the crank.

My Rival FD and RD weigh 25 grams more than my Force parts. I'm using cheap and heavy Shimano GRX cranks to get more range. I have rides with over 5,000 feet of climbing. Most of it is in the first 32 of 54 miles.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Yep, many seem to just dismiss the enjoyment of the hobby aspect of things.

Heck, I picked up an old 1990 Raleigh Super Course that had sat neglected for years. Listed for sale for a long time so I finally grabbed it.

24 lbs 14 ozs as I got it:

Under the grime was a dang near mint bike but with really heavy parts. So I tore it all down, cleaned it up, and then rebuilt with a mix of Dura Ace/Ultegra parts I had on hand.

Finished up with a 20 lbs 12 oz bike that looks great and should bring a big smile to someone face when I sell it locally this spring. Or heck, if I like the ride I may just keep it. Its a ton of fun to drop this much weight off a bike and to get it back on the road and being enjoyed. That's worth it alone.

Old 02-26-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Well, it's 'about 2% weight savings of bike and rider..not sure it would make the OP 2% faster. 'About .5mph, all things being equal(which they never really are).
I’d happily take an extra .5 mph.
Quote:

100% agree - it’s his money and his bike.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:45 AM

I admit to being a weight weenie but I don't spend huge sums money on things like Extralite and Darimo. I save weight when I can and doesn't break the bank.
I know its not going to make me very much faster and I don't ride for speed, the appeal to me is lifting the bike and feeling that it is light and it just feels different under me.
I am 140 lbs so weight savings has a little bit more effect.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I admit to being a weight weenie but I don't spend huge sums money on things like Extralite and Darimo. I save weight when I can and doesn't break the bank.
I know its not going to make me very much faster and I don't ride for speed, the appeal to me is lifting the bike and feeling that it is light and it just feels different under me.
I am 140 lbs so weight savings has a little bit more effect.
I don't know about being a weightweenie, although like you, over the years as I have built bikes, I have always opted for lighter when possible. the qualifiers were also to be within my "hobby" budget, fit and bike esthetics. At my age, I've recorded diminishing speed in-spite of my best efforts and I was never a "boy racer" to begin with...it has been particularly noticeable in the last several years both in average speed and distance, so I continue to practice my "weightweenie" ways in order to maintain a semblance of speed but mostly as you point out, it's the feeling ...fun, accomplishment and freedom...the goal being to enjoy my lifelong hobby as long as possible. We all move along and maybe a gram or to helps! ....
Old 02-26-2023, 01:17 PM
Meh

Depending on your intentions for your bike, weight reduction can reduce performance.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post

Heck, I picked up an old 1990 Raleigh Super Course that had sat neglected for years. Listed for sale for a long time so I finally grabbed it.

24 lbs 14 ozs as I got it:

Under the grime was a dang near mint bike but with really heavy parts. So I tore it all down, cleaned it up, and then rebuilt with a mix of Dura Ace/Ultegra parts I had on hand.

Finished up with a 20 lbs 12 oz bike that looks great and should bring a big smile to someone face when I sell it locally this spring. Or heck, if I like the ride I may just keep it. Its a ton of fun to drop this much weight off a bike and to get it back on the road and being enjoyed. That's worth it alone.

whatta story, that's a sharp looking bike. Paceline worthy
Old 02-27-2023, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Bikes pales in comparison to other 'leisure time activities', like fly fishing, golf, 'the activity that will remain nameless', etc, et, Just about anything and everything, leisure time activity, has a 'hobby aspect' to it and will encourage some to copy and try it and see others just shake their heads.