Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2023, 02:42 PM

Anybody tried Tiris Titanium on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/str/flyfoxbike

When looking for parts for my MOOTS build, I kept stumbling across TIRIS products on eBay: bars, posts, forks. etc.

They've got some interesting options and incredible pricing - very much the "too good too be true (or good?)" price.

From their eBay "about" page:
TIRIS BIKE is from Baoji of China, wich is known as "titanium valley"! We mainly sales: titanium bicycles, titanium frames, titanium forks,titanium handlebars,titanium stems,titanium seatposts,titanium head sets,titanium bottle cages,titanium pedals,titanium clamps,titanium screws,titanium sporks and so on.

>>>Has anyone tried any of their parts?<<<

Thinking about trying one of their flat and swept-back bars.

Sub question: if no to TIRIS, have you tried Carver?
Old 02-25-2023, 02:54 PM
cnighbor2

Made in China

Ti takes some very good welding skill level to keep it from failing.
So the ? is does this China firm weld Ti correctly. ?
Old 02-25-2023, 02:57 PM

search on "Carver" and you will find lots of input

He's a pro. He'll cost more but you'll get what you ordered. I did. That ebay vendor can prob make what you want too but all signs point to not such great English skills. And when you click on their feedback numbers it appears some tweaking of the info has been done.

Pretty sure Carver uses these guys in China. They have a decent reputation...even when I contacted them directly.

http://www.xacd.com.cn/about.htm
Old 02-25-2023, 03:07 PM

Thanks all - I understand that lots of "good" titanium is made in China. I have def' heard of XACD as well as Waltly.

I'll search Carver anew - when I searched previously, I did see a few mentions, many more than TIRIS.
Old 02-26-2023, 02:16 AM

I have bought and used some of the Tiris bars. I ran a set of H-bar style on my titanium fatty and a straight bar on my hardtail. No issues with them in the season I had them. Quality was good and they held up to my off road riding without any issues. I am not sure of their long term durability since I only used them for about one season.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2023, 03:01 AM

For the easy stuff (seat post clamp, bottle cages, seat posts) they are ok. The welds are fine and finishing is fine too.
But I'd be bit careful on forks. Not because the welds are bad.
But because of alignment issues. I am not sure whether they straightened up their game, but couple of years back when I was looking for a Ti fork for my gravel rig, I asked around and saw couple of forks sent back for alignment issues.
Making a fork with thru axle and flat mount is a very very (I repeat very!) precise job which really requires the utmost dominance of tube mitering, alignment, welding techniques and understanding of tube stress relief post weld.
Old 02-26-2023, 12:38 PM

I believe that TiOray and Tirus are the same company now. A few years ago I had TiOray build a cutsom front fork for my Lynskey mtn bike, and it came out spectacular.

I also have a custom (2013) Waltly Ti bike, and it is probably my favorite mtn bike.

However!!!! Russia supplies most of the aerospace/bike titanium now to China, so if you want to consider funding Russia....