Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 04:48 PM

OT: Heart Rhythm problems

Reading some of the recent threads it seems many here suffer from some form of Heart Rhythm problems

I was wondering if anyone here was on antiarrhythmic medication & what that was like if it helped etc?

My sister takes flecainide 50mg twice a day & in her case has never had it reoccur.

I am on no drugs at all but am leery just reading about that particular drug
I can go years without a episode of psvt or PAC',PVC's then get hit twice like this past year

I have also read about a technique called "Pill in the pocket" which sounds interesting
as you only take the medication during an event

https://www.nuemblog.com/blog/pill-in-pocket (using either flecainide or propafenone in this case)

But have heard good & bad reports as it sometimes made things worse? (using Flecainide in this case)
https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacep.2022.07.010

Anyway just wondering if anyone has tried or had success with these

Last edited by flying; 02-01-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:53 PM

I have a Cardiologist and have 3 types of arrythmia. Go see one.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
I have a Cardiologist and have 3 types of arrythmia. Go see one.
Hahah Ive had arrhythmias for 30+ years & many cardiologist thanks

Was just asking those on anti-arrhythmias meds their experience of course in relation to cycling

Last edited by flying; 02-01-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:57 PM

Prior to my ablation, I carried flecainide and metoprolol on rides. Took them several times for a fib events. Didn’t always stop the episodes quickly and the beta blocker made it very difficult to exert.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:04 AM

I was on flecainide and metoprolol for 6 years, and my afib continued to get worse - though the flecainide did help some, at least at first. Doc finally recommended an ablation, and I wish this had been done sooner. Although I still have some minor episodes of PVC's and some afib, I do anything I want. That ablation gave me a life again. Taking drugs isn't the answer. Having said this, afib can be caused by heart defects, which I did not have. Mine was only paroxysmal which is not an immediate problem, other than it can get worse over time and lead to persistent afib. You don't want that, so go ahead and ask your doc for an ablation recommendation.

when you have a fixable problem, fix it.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I was on flecainide and metoprolol for 6 years, and my afib continued to get worse - though the flecainide did help some, at least at first. Doc finally recommended an ablation, and I wish this had been done sooner. Although I still have some minor episodes of PVC's and some afib, I do anything I want. That ablation gave me a life again. Taking drugs isn't the answer. Having said this, afib can be caused by heart defects, which I did not have. Mine was only paroxysmal which is not an immediate problem, other than it can get worse over time and lead to persistent afib. You don't want that, so go ahead and ask your doc for an ablation recommendation.

Same...Had some Afib 2009/10...5-6 episodes. Had a bazzilion $ heart workup and doc..'Nothing structural or electrical wrong with your heart'. My triggers were caffeine and alcohol...After the second 'electro conversion', kept the 'pills in the pocket'..Rythmol and metropolol(sp?)...
Nothing again till 2019(probably cuz drinking more)...4-5 episodes then an ablation in June 2020.

BUT, when I did take a beta blocker, it made me feel crappy, short of breathe, crappy.
No issues since, no pills.
Old 02-02-2023, 07:40 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Exactly. Which is why, with my current dis-ease combination of afib and recently diagnosed calcific tendinosis (painful shoulders, loss of sleep), I am approaching all doctors with the Fix It perspective.

That is, I need to cycle. I need to cycle to beat back depression. I need to cycle to boost my social life. I need to cycle because I always feel at home on my bike. Therefore, what are options for fixing any problem that interferes with cycling? I am approaching most of my medical treatment now with the bottom line: I need to cycle or my life is greatly diminished. So, doc, what can you do to help me continue to cycle as I age?

Dave, who also has to consider how certain treatments might keep him off the bike for weeks simply in their recovery stages
Old 02-02-2023, 08:01 AM

At least 1/3 of my over 55 year old racers have some type of Heart issues and all of them got control over the issue by giving up caffeine. You might try giving up Caffeine and as always go see your Dr.

Last edited by rockdude; 02-02-2023 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
At least 1/3 of my over 55 racers have some type of Heart issues and all of them got control over the issue by giving up caffeine. You might try giving up Caffeine and as always go see your Dr.
Get an ablation so you can continue to drink caffeine…
Old 02-02-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
Prior to my ablation, I carried flecainide and metoprolol on rides. Took them several times for a fib events. Didn’t always stop the episodes quickly and the beta blocker made it very difficult to exert.
Yes I was once put on Metoprolol & it was the same. Took it twice & gave it up. My resting heart rate is too low for such things

Quote:
Doc finally recommended an ablation, and I wish this had been done sooner. Although I still have some minor episodes of PVC's and some afib, I do anything I want.
That ablation gave me a life again. Taking drugs isn't the answer. .
I had an ablation back in 2012 & like you it pretty much cured the long events. Just short ones after that that end quickly. But now I am having these spikes...
probably hundreds a day. I am not on anything but am seeing a cardiologist about them, As they are mainly psvt it is not critical. But I wondered about that pill in pocket as a means to reset as it were.

Last time I had these they lasted a month

I know many who have had an ablation later need another. Will see how this goes.
It is actually not bad more like a shiver is all you feel. Not like the old days when it would run for hours then need an adenosine shot at the ER to stop them

But it is disturbing to see on my heart monitor a blast to 200 bpm I know it is not real beats but a shortcut/pathway but still disturbing
Old 02-02-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Yes I was once put on Metoprolol & it was the same. Took it twice & gave it up. My resting heart rate is too low for such things

I had an ablation back in 2012 & like you it pretty much cured the long events. Just short ones after that that end quickly. But now I am having these spikes...
probably hundreds a day. I am not on anything but am seeing a cardiologist about them, As they are mainly psvt it is not critical. But I wondered about that pill in pocket as a means to reset as it were.

Last time I had these they lasted a month

I know many who have had an ablation later need another. Will see how this goes.
It is actually not bad more like a shiver is all you feel. Not like the old days when it would run for hours then need an adenosine shot at teh ER to stop them

But it is disturbing to see on my heart monitor a blast to 200 bpm I know it is not real beats but a shortcut/pathway but still disturbing
I had 2 ablations back in 2011 and for the most part I have been in sinus rhythm. I have had 2 episodes that lasted a couple days ( on and off episodes on those days ).

What worked for me was the pill in the pocket method. I took lots of Flecanide and a smaller amount of Metropolol and voila, cleared it up within an hour.

Cross fingers this doesn’t happen again…oh, both of these times occurred during very stressful times in my life, for what that’s worth.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-02-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I had 2 ablations back in 2011 and for the most part I have been in sinus rhythm. I have had 2 episodes that lasted a couple days ( on and off episodes on those days ).

What worked for me was the pill in the pocket method. I took lots of Flecanide and a smaller amount of Metropolol and voila, cleared it up within an hour.

Cross fingers this doesn’t happen again…oh, both of these times occurred during very stressful times in my life, for what that’s worth.

Good luck!!!

Thanks Steve that is good to hear.

Well that stress is a trigger for sure.

I had just flown home after 3 month cycling vacation & the flights were total 30+ hours
Then I got home & stressed about yard work & spent 8 hours doing that next day. Then it started
Old 02-03-2023, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Get an ablation so you can continue to drink caffeine
That's not a guarantee..getting an ablation and no more 'trigger stuff. My heart doc said I could 'occasionally' have a beer or glass of wine. About 4 weeks ago, I had ONE beer in the afternoon and went into Afib at about 9pm..'no pills but thankfully, ticker converted by itself about 5 hours later..so....

But yup, stress contributes to afib and often, a second or even third ablation is needed. Hope I don't need another...weren't no fun...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-03-2023 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:23 AM

Re effects of AFIB meds, for years I've been on 25 mg Metoprolol daily (paroxysmal AFIB, only one episode in 5 years), and according to my detailed riding records there has been no effect on pace etc.

However, one time I accidently took 50 mg, and had a crappy ride, out of power, felt 'off'. Could have been coincidence, but...

Having said that, I am a caffeine addict and no issues there.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:27 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Re effects of AFIB meds, for years I've been on 25 mg Metoprolol daily (paroxysmal AFIB, only one episode in 5 years), and according to my detailed riding records there has been no effect on pace etc.

However, one time I accidently took 50 mg, and had a crappy ride, out of power, felt 'off'. Could have been coincidence, but...

Having said that, I am a caffeine addict and no issues there.
I bet, my 25 mg. takes 20 BPM off the top for me and it is like missing a cylinder on hills. A double dose I imagine lowers your max HR +more.

Last edited by robt57; 02-03-2023 at 10:30 AM.