Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 02:15 PM
formerly Landshark_98

So Seattle area does have views like this going for it. And we watched an adult and 2 juvenile bald eagles try to wrestle away a big fish from a seal that was thrashing around on the surface trying to get it under control. Don't see that everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
And yeah... "tech" is basically cancer and I say that as an SWE which trends waay more outgoing than the average person in that crowd. My hobbies don't include video games, reddit, and hentai.
Sorry I hate to break it to ya, but you are like all the techies who are all unique and original.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
So Seattle area does have views like this going for it. And we watched an adult and 2 juvenile bald eagles try to wrestle away a big fish from a seal that was thrashing around on the surface trying to get it under control. Don't see that everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
love the palm trees!
Old 02-01-2023, 03:29 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
love the palm trees!
Right! The juxtaposition this morning was just too good to ignore.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:46 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
Right! The juxtaposition this morning was just too good to ignore.
clearly photoshopped....no palm trees native to WA.....no views are that good.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
clearly photoshopped....no palm trees native to WA.....no views are that good.
My wife's parents lived in Burien overlooking the Sound. In the evening on a beautiful day I'd either be on the deck or in the living room enjoying the beautiful vista, turn my head left, Mt. Rainier, turn it right, the white peaks of the Olympics. F'ing awesome!

If I had to choose:

Seattle: #1
Portland: #2 (close)
SF: No thanks, unfortunately.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
My wife's parents lived in Burien overlooking the Sound. In the evening on a beautiful day I'd either be on the deck or in the living room enjoying the beautiful vista, turn my head left, Mt. Rainier, turn it right, the white peaks of the Olympics. F'ing awesome!

If I had to choose:

Seattle: #1
Portland: #2 (close)
SF: No thanks, unfortunately.
I live in Burien. I'm in a reasonably nice neighborhood, but certainly not at that level. But the riding here (at least in the immediate vicinity) is ... limited. For anything in the 1-2 hour range, you're basically looking at one loop that goes north around Alki beach, or one loop that goes south on Marine View Drive. If you've got lots of time, you can cross the city and loop Lake Washington or take a ferry to Bainbridge or Vashon, but the lack of choices in the 1-3 hour range can be frustrating. I mix it up with running; there are two good local parks for trail running.

Former homes Los Olivos, CA and rural Mass. had far better options for riding. I think that's an inherent conflict in rural versus city riding, though. If you're lucky enough to find or live in an area that's both rural and accepting of cyclists, that's a hard combination to beat.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I live in Burien. I'm in a reasonably nice neighborhood, but certainly not at that level. But the riding here (at least in the immediate vicinity) is ... limited. For anything in the 1-2 hour range, you're basically looking at one loop that goes north around Alki beach, or one loop that goes south on Marine View Drive. If you've got lots of time, you can cross the city and loop Lake Washington or take a ferry to Bainbridge or Vashon, but the lack of choices in the 1-3 hour range can be frustrating. I mix it up with running; there are two good local parks for trail running.

Former homes Los Olivos, CA and rural Mass. had far better options for riding. I think that's an inherent conflict in rural versus city riding, though. If you're lucky enough to find or live in an area that's both rural and accepting of cyclists, that's a hard combination to beat.
100% agree on the riding, I've done many a ride from Burien and it didn't take long for the novelty to wear off and have us tossing the bikes in the car. But, as a metropolitan area in which to live, it's high on my list even though the traffic is next level crazy (I5 corridor is insane). It would have to be after retirement (all wife's family is there). Much better breweries than the bay area as well.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:02 PM
what's a little rust?

Are Lincoln and Discovery Parks reasonable rides from Burien? Or are there no good roads in between?
Old 02-01-2023, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Are Lincoln and Discovery Parks reasonable rides from Burien? Or are there no good roads in between?
Lincoln Park is on the Alki loop that I mentioned; that loop is good in the sense that there are a number of add-ons that you can put in if you have extra time. In addition to loops in the park if you're feeling gravel-ish, there are a few interesting urban climbs that are options.

Discovery is a 3-hour round trip for me and worth it every once in a while, but there's a solid stretch in the middle that's very developed going straight through the waterfront/port area. Nice every once in a while but not my thing for frequent riding. Your opinion may vary. I should see if I can find some more interesting variations through Magnolia.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
Sorry I hate to break it to ya, but you are like all the techies who are all unique and original.
Ha!